Seeking opinion on “best” commentary on Chronicles

lesterchua

Hi, what is a good commentary on Chronicles? Suggestions would be great. I’m from a reformed and conservative background if that helps narrow down the choices.

S. S. Tuell, First and Second Chronicles. Interpretation Is probably the one I find most useful. But Roddy Braun, 1 Chronicles, vol. 14, Word Biblical Commentary / Raymond B. Dillard, 2 Chronicles, vol. 15, Word Biblical Commentary are very fine volumes that I also find very useful.

-dan

• Like 1

S. S. Tuell, First and Second Chronicles. Interpretation Is probably the one I find most useful. But Roddy Braun, 1 Chronicles, vol. 14, Word Biblical Commentary / Raymond B. Dillard, 2 Chronicles, vol. 15, Word Biblical Commentary are very fine volumes that I also find very useful.

-dan

Unfortunately, there is no individual volume for sale for the Tuell volume. I'm checking out Braun and Dillard volumes. Thanks

I find best commentaries excellent to see what is out there.

The reviews are also extremly useful.

But i havent found how the scoring is done and from my experience, i havent found it to reflect my experience.

There are certain series that always appear near the top like wbc and nicot which are a 'safe' investment. I find actual book layout important and the wbc has sections which i find helpful but i know others prefer the text as one in nicot. So if you can get to a library, its worth looking at hard copies once you get more recomendations from the forum.

• Like 2

Sara Japhet: I and II Chronicles in the Old Testament Library series

• Like 2

I find best commentaries excellent to see what is out there.

The reviews are also extremly useful.

But i havent found how the scoring is done and from my experience, i havent found it to reflect my experience.

Agreed BC is quite useful but like you far from reflecting my experience. I did not mention it because it is only as a set but New Interpreter's Bible easily hits in the top 4 for my usage and yet it like Interpretation is unrated. And while I think Tyndale is useful I am not sure I would put it up at the number 2 level as it is on BC, indeed I don't think I would even put it in the top 5. I do realize we are all very different and all recommendations must be taken with a grain of salt (I would dare say you may go through seminary with a friend and you both come away with very differing opinions on the same commentary at times).

-dan

• Like 2

Although I'm not sure that any of the recommended commentaries are from a Reformed perspective (I don't have any of them), you might want to check out R.C. Sproul's top five here:

https://www.ligonier.org/blog/top-5-commentaries-on-the-books-of-1-2-chronicles/

• Like 1

Nice to see NIB ends up in the Runner up category on Sproul's page...

-dan

EDIT: OPS my bad Sproul was referring to Leslie Allen, 1, 2 Chronicles, vol. 10, The Preacher’s Commentary Series and not Leslie C. Allen, “The First and Second Books of Chronicles,” in 1 Kings-Judith, vol. 3 of The New Interpreter’s Bible.

Although usually when an author does the same book of the Bible twice there is significant overlap in thought.

Edited by Daniel Francis

And while I think Tyndale is useful I am not sure I would put it up at the number 2 level as it is on BC, indeed I don't think I would even put it in the top 5.

-dan

It so depends on what you are looking for and your own style and your budget.

I agree dan, I found tyndale to be very uneven between volumes. I also found them a bit basic and only moderately more useful than a single volume such as the condensed ebc. Great as i was given a hard copy set when i was starting out and only preaching a few times a year but i have since given them away since i got wbc and Nivac in accordance.

Wouldn't want to be without wbc but not sure i would want to pay current non sale prices. Wouldn't recomend nivac as a primary commentary but think it makes a good secondary one once you have got your principle one sorted though it is a reasonable price. I would put its content on a level with tyndale but the advantage that in addition, it also tries to get you to apply it today and i have always found it gets me thinking about the passage in a new directions so wouldn't want to be without it now.

Will defer to others on other volumes recommended-as the wbc and nivac are the two i have invested in and i tend to use most along with a few jps ones. But jps and nicot dont cover chronicles.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far.

I’ll like to point out that a digital library like Accordance allows us to cherrypick the best volumes in a commentary set without making our bookshelf look akward!

My library building strategy will be based purely on cherry picking!

Cherry Picking is good but without sounding like a broken record New Interpreter's Bible 12 volume set is well worth the investment if you can get it on sale or with one of those semi annual 25% off coupons. It's not going to give you quite the depth of 80 volume set but it always punches well above it's weight class and I rarely come away without some edification and insight.

-dan

NIB Sample 1Chronicles 1:1-2:2

1chr 1'1 sample.pdf

Edited by Daniel Francis

A commentary rating list that doesn't include the NIB 12 volume is pretty specious. 

• Like 1

A friend of mine postgrad ot lecturer said:

I’d recommend Andrew Hill’s commentary (NIVAC). Also, while not a commentary, David Janzen’s ‘Chronicles and the Politics of Davidic Restoration’ is the best work I’ve read on the overall purpose of Chronicles.

Edited by Ken Simpson

@Daniel Francis, thanks for that pdf, I have to agree, that is great commentary, not too technical and the dedicated reflections is great. But it seems that Accordance do not break the collection into individual volumes, so I'll possibly have to give it a miss.

My cherry-picking plan is to accomodate a reasonable budget as well, so I'll be able to add each commentary as required, either through course work or otherwise.  Getting the full set at a non-trivial price is something I'll avoid at this point. 

But great recommendation! I'll wishlist this.

Edited by lesterchua
  • Like 1