Photo

The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wpjubber

wpjubber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:50 AM

I couldn't find any previous requests, but I would greatly value the addition of The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics, published by Brill.

From the publisher:

"In a four volume set, complete with index, the Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics offers a systematic and comprehensive treatment of all aspects of the history and study of the Hebrew language from its earliest attested form to the present day. The encyclopedia contains overview articles that provide a readable synopsis of current knowledge of the major periods and varieties of the Hebrew language as well as thematically-organized entries which provide further information on individual topics, such as the Hebrew of various sources (texts, manuscripts, inscriptions, reading traditions), major grammatical features (phonology, morphology, and syntax), lexicon, script and paleography, theoretical linguistic approaches, and so forth. With over 950 entries and approximately 400 contributing scholars, the Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics is the authoritative reference work for students and researchers in the fields of Hebrew linguistics, general linguistics, Biblical studies, Hebrew and Jewish literature, and related fields."

• Unix, Gordon, Fabian and 2 others like this

#2 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Assyriology, Dead Sea Scrolls, Semitic Linguistics, Language Contact, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, Akkadian,. Ugaritic, Sumerian, Hittite,Jesus, Coffee

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

I have this in print and can say this is a fantastic resource. However, it would be very hard for Accordance to get at a good price point (around $1200.00 for the full set). I would like to see this but not sure if it would happen. I will say some of it can be found as PDF on Brill's site. You can also find articles on various author's Academia pages available for download.

Cheers,

Matt C

#3 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:42 AM

Brill produces some great stuff and I'd love to see more of it in Accordance but I agree with you Matt that a resource like this would likely be tough. There are other Brill resources I would see first (their Greek lexica for example - etymology and ancient greek) but all that said, +1.

Thx

D

• Fabian likes this
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

Brill does publish some great material. However, their target sales audience is institutional libraries, not individuals. They price their materials accordingly.

I know I can't afford to buy most of Brill's resources in print.

Edited by Timothy Jenney, 16 August 2018 - 12:32 PM.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#5 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

Brill does publish some great material. However, their target sales audience is institutional libraries, not individuals. They price their materials accordingly.

I know I cant afford to buy most of Brill's resources in print.

Yep, although I found a Brill publication for $23 that I needed. But a rarity I'll grant.

Thx

D

• Timothy Jenney likes this
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#6 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

…and yet some still say that miracles have ceased.

Edited by Timothy Jenney, 16 August 2018 - 12:31 PM.

• דָנִיאֶל and TYA like this
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#7 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Assyriology, Dead Sea Scrolls, Semitic Linguistics, Language Contact, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, Akkadian,. Ugaritic, Sumerian, Hittite,Jesus, Coffee

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

They have started an "open access" initiative, yet the materials on the site are not great. The University of Chicago has put out quite a bit of open source material, including the classic work by Steven Kaufman "The Akkadian Influence on Aramaic."

Cheers,

Matt C

#8 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Twitter:mcyklist
  • Location:EU. Inter/multidisciplinary Humanities that have something to do with sustainability or correct comprehension of Peoples, including: 2nd Millennia BC, History of Ideas, History of 1902-1945 and reenactment of that era clothing, using LSJ for the Ancient Gk corpus (skipped BrillDAG since I couldn't afford it and it is still not under Accordance), might many Years from now visit a certain new cult on the Taiga in Siberia, Ethics for divorced men; singing; guiding; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously
  • Interests:On the laptop 11.2.5 loads my books, uses slightly less battery than 12. 11 had a great Info Pane, partial download of Collections had already become possible, settings for text preferences suffice, library sorting, Research. I have a few extra Accordance 12.3.6 (and for Accordance version 2.0 for Android which is really GREAT and now with improved UI, and it is also for Accordance iPad 3.x) licenses to gift - still have Nov. 14.-23. 2019 and likely for a while, multiple copies left beyond november!
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:53 AM

There is a last-day.of-the-sale related to this thread, for those of us who have that amount $460 lying around. Which would also buy a part of The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill) to get started. (An unrelated item is Brill Intellectuals -series, I've got a volume about The Reception of Bodin.)

Help me decide on The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill) first in print and then when or if available under Accordance digitally too, or?: Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament | software reg. price $699    On Sale: $459

I couldn't find any previous requests, but I would greatly value the addition of The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics, published by Brill.

From the publisher:

"In a four volume set, complete with index, the Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics offers a systematic and comprehensive treatment of all aspects of the history and study of the Hebrew language from its earliest attested form to the present day. The encyclopedia contains overview articles that provide a readable synopsis of current knowledge of the major periods and varieties of the Hebrew language as well as thematically-organized entries which provide further information on individual topics, such as the Hebrew of various sources (texts, manuscripts, inscriptions, reading traditions), major grammatical features (phonology, morphology, and syntax), lexicon, script and paleography, theoretical linguistic approaches, and so forth. With over 950 entries and approximately 400 contributing scholars, the Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics is the authoritative reference work for students and researchers in the fields of Hebrew linguistics, general linguistics, Biblical studies, Hebrew and Jewish literature, and related fields."

The price is not the object nor is the availability critical, nor just the area of use for what I'd choose, but just whether either one vastly outperforms the other in History of Ideas purposes, as an aid in interpreting random Scripture passages, somewhat quickly sourcing the linguistically (I'll also sometimes access whatever I got Years back brief works) or later on in my life even etymologically related texts of the ANE, and whether either one has any references to how a few English, German or French Bible versions chose to render given parts of speech or clauses?

#9 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

There is a last-day.of-the-sale related to this thread, for those of us who have that amount $460 lying around. Which would also buy a part of The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill) to get started. (An unrelated item is Brill Intellectuals -series, I've got a volume about The Reception of Bodin.)

Help me decide on The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill) first in print and then when or if available under Accordance digitally too, or?: Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament | software reg. price $699    On Sale: $459

The price is not the object nor is the availability critical, nor just the area of use for what I'd choose, but just whether either one vastly outperforms the other in History of Ideas purposes, as an aid in interpreting random Scripture passages, somewhat quickly sourcing the linguistically (I'll also sometimes access whatever I got Years back brief works) or later on in my life even etymologically related texts of the ANE, and whether either one has any references to how a few English, German or French Bible versions chose to render given parts of speech or clauses?

I would always go for the EHLL- It is a fantastic resource for technical research in Hebrew at all stages.

• Unix likes this

Cheers,

Matt C

#10 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Interests:G-d; Moshiyach; Jewish texts; Israel; family; spreading good news, and serving G-d's people; making new friends (hopefully you!); Bible software's like Accordance :)

Panasonic Toughbook CF-31
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:34 AM

+1 for Brill publications, as possible

• Fabian likes this

#11 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Location:EU. Inter/multidisciplinary Humanities that have something to do with sustainability or correct comprehension of Peoples, including: 2nd Millennia BC, History of Ideas, History of 1902-1945 and reenactment of that era clothing, using LSJ for the Ancient Gk corpus (skipped BrillDAG since I couldn't afford it and it is still not under Accordance), might many Years from now visit a certain new cult on the Taiga in Siberia, Ethics for divorced men; singing; guiding; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously
  • Interests:On the laptop 11.2.5 loads my books, uses slightly less battery than 12. 11 had a great Info Pane, partial download of Collections had already become possible, settings for text preferences suffice, library sorting, Research. I have a few extra Accordance 12.3.6 (and for Accordance version 2.0 for Android which is really GREAT and now with improved UI, and it is also for Accordance iPad 3.x) licenses to gift - still have Nov. 14.-23. 2019 and likely for a while, multiple copies left beyond november!

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:54 AM

Likewise my +1 for Brill EHLL especially - the Accordance format would be truly optimal for it and I'd be thrilled to have it always with me (as I always carry a laptop) - a paper copy would wear out so not last long enough and be a bit too heavy to carry around all the time when I'd expect there would be a chance to peruse it; and select volumes of Brill Intellectuals (as it's a rather big series) that might complement other descriptions of key persons in History that usually can or have been offered under Accordance:

+1 for Brill publications, as possible

I think EHLL would be realistic and that there would be a demand, it would replace the need for many other books that either are offered and particularly forthcoming that would be produced if there would be no EHLL.

• Fabian and MattChristian like this

May 28. 2019: I had mentioned currencies in one comment here on the podcasts forum, my off-site elaboration of that is: https://www.christia...2#post-72312055
A new group where to discuss all things commentaries, join! Novices can learn from experts on library-building: https://www.facebook...90154717874594/
March. 4. 2019: Not room for constantly carrying each device for without hole-damage to bag or indexcards to carry tablet or all cell phones. I.e. desk phone guy and laptop "gymnast". FB (always scroll down enough and remember my actual positions are not stated with precision but civil status is at all times correct:
https://www.facebook...100009160762403 ...add me there for photos, perhaps mention on Messenger it was from the link here so that You qualify. If You ever actually confirm Your interest or tell me to call back, do so by sending a brief SMS who You are thank You (the latter is they key for how You with foresight confirm to me that You are mine! And find me on Insta!

My new group welcomes contributions and constructive criticism of and listing of commentaries, please ask to join, no control questions atm, erudite yet concise is the name of the group - expect users from on here to have academic knowledge and scholars to feel at home: https://www.facebook...4594/?ref=br_rs

The hardware I have in constant use is an AMD (only CPU manufacturer and developer I recommend for everyone!) A9 Dual Core equipped 15.6" monitor laptop with two batteries, DDR4 RAM; additionally I've got an older desktop with Intel G2030 CPU; both have 12 GB RAM.
Am growing only my Accordance and print libraries, further along that line dismissing what else to maintain. Next purchase: the entire BNPauly series

During my life I've at various levels used 15 languages, sang in half of them

EU. Fine Culture - busy all Monday evenings near the Royal Library and getting private tuition usually Sunday daytime one hour at the Royal Music Academy, additionally as a group as well some Saturdays daytime

Have got a subscription on DCH in print format, €75 per volume. Those who live here: I will welcome You to this City by showing the angles everyone misses and give You a gift: One or two print Bibles or an account substituting the need for You to have a long term strategic shopping just to get started, and the uniqueness of an account will depend on how deeply You will get to do things together with me and share our intellectual and physical training passions together.
I'm an ovo-vegetarian

Biggest title 2017: OTL and parts of NTL. Biggest title during 2018: https://twitter.com/...874763110559744 Biggest so far under 2019: NICOT/NICNT. I'm buying about 11 pieces of the Basic Starter Collections to gift away and four copies of the Catholic Documents with Bibles likewise /now during the sale March 2019
I can safely be encouraged
Healthy vendor lock-in
https://www.accordan...e-2#entry124374

#12 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

I'll happily be paying $900 anytime, soon or in a few Years, for Brill's EHLL under Accordance - not wanting it any other way. Was already sure during all phases of sales of dictionaries and encyclopedias, new releases or old resources and under another platforms. Just wanting to underline again that EHLL is essential to any efforts and would be of immence use and I'd like it under the leading platform Accordance!! I scrutinise really carefullt what Hebrew reference works are worth my money - quantity alone doesn't convince me. I can EASILY fund Brill products taking it from budgets for commentaries, maintenance with feature upgrades of other platforms, and from budgets for monographs that bogg down study more than elucidate. I said at one point here on the forums that another $7k goes from me to resources that peruse OL:s or are texts, grammars and the like - still $5k to spend accordingly. So $3k for sure on top of EHLL, under Accordance and it's my preferred spending all categories and uses of money!:

I have this in print and can say this is a fantastic resource. However, it would be very hard for Accordance to get at a good price point (around $1200.00 for the full set).

I would not be voting for the Greek lexica/etymology/linguistic Encyclopedia to be produced under Accordance, maximally BrillDAG if any and not the rest!!:

Brill produces some great stuff and I'd love to see more of it in Accordance but I agree with you Matt that a resource like this would likely be tough. There are other Brill resources I would see first (their Greek lexica for example - etymology and ancient greek) but all that said, +1.

Some user who haven't participated in this thread may be cautious about spending thousands on advanced reference works with languages but some of them should start to show support! It's good to make plans what kind of upgrades makes sense, what type of works organised alphabetically or canonically.

I'll gladly skip hundreds of books that don't measure up anyway to the levels of scholarship here

#13 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:00 AM

I use EHLL for every paper I write. I find multiple articles in it that are invaluable, both in terms of content and bibliography. Well worth the money in any format you can find it

• Unix likes this

Cheers,

Matt C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users