The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill)

wpjubber

I couldn't find any previous requests, but I would greatly value the addition of The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics, published by Brill.

From the publisher:

"In a four volume set, complete with index, the Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics offers a systematic and comprehensive treatment of all aspects of the history and study of the Hebrew language from its earliest attested form to the present day. The encyclopedia contains overview articles that provide a readable synopsis of current knowledge of the major periods and varieties of the Hebrew language as well as thematically-organized entries which provide further information on individual topics, such as the Hebrew of various sources (texts, manuscripts, inscriptions, reading traditions), major grammatical features (phonology, morphology, and syntax), lexicon, script and paleography, theoretical linguistic approaches, and so forth. With over 950 entries and approximately 400 contributing scholars, the Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics is the authoritative reference work for students and researchers in the fields of Hebrew linguistics, general linguistics, Biblical studies, Hebrew and Jewish literature, and related fields."

• Like 7

I have this in print and can say this is a fantastic resource. However, it would be very hard for Accordance to get at a good price point (around $1200.00 for the full set). I would like to see this but not sure if it would happen. I will say some of it can be found as PDF on Brill's site. You can also find articles on various author's Academia pages available for download.

Brill produces some great stuff and I'd love to see more of it in Accordance but I agree with you Matt that a resource like this would likely be tough. There are other Brill resources I would see first (their Greek lexica for example - etymology and ancient greek) but all that said, +1.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Brill does publish some great material. However, their target sales audience is institutional libraries, not individuals. They price their materials accordingly.

I know I can't afford to buy most of Brill's resources in print.

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Brill does publish some great material. However, their target sales audience is institutional libraries, not individuals. They price their materials accordingly.

I know I cant afford to buy most of Brill's resources in print.

Yep, although I found a Brill publication for $23 that I needed. But a rarity I'll grant.

Thx

D

• Like 1

…and yet some still say that miracles have ceased.

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 2

They have started an "open access" initiative, yet the materials on the site are not great. The University of Chicago has put out quite a bit of open source material, including the classic work by Steven Kaufman "The Akkadian Influence on Aramaic."

• 2 months later...

There is a last-day.of-the-sale related to this thread, for those of us who have that amount $460 lying around. Which would also buy a part of The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill) to get started. (An unrelated item is Brill Intellectuals -series, I've got a volume about The Reception of Bodin.)

Help me decide on The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill) first in print and then when or if available under Accordance digitally too, or?: Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament | software reg. price $699    On Sale: $459

I couldn't find any previous requests, but I would greatly value the addition of The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics, published by Brill.

From the publisher:

"In a four volume set, complete with index, the Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics offers a systematic and comprehensive treatment of all aspects of the history and study of the Hebrew language from its earliest attested form to the present day. The encyclopedia contains overview articles that provide a readable synopsis of current knowledge of the major periods and varieties of the Hebrew language as well as thematically-organized entries which provide further information on individual topics, such as the Hebrew of various sources (texts, manuscripts, inscriptions, reading traditions), major grammatical features (phonology, morphology, and syntax), lexicon, script and paleography, theoretical linguistic approaches, and so forth. With over 950 entries and approximately 400 contributing scholars, the Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics is the authoritative reference work for students and researchers in the fields of Hebrew linguistics, general linguistics, Biblical studies, Hebrew and Jewish literature, and related fields."

The price is not the object nor is the availability critical, nor just the area of use for what I'd choose, but just whether either one vastly outperforms the other in History of Ideas purposes, as an aid in interpreting random Scripture passages, somewhat quickly sourcing the linguistically (I'll also sometimes access whatever I got Years back brief works) or later on in my life even etymologically related texts of the ANE, and whether either one has any references to how a few English, German or French Bible versions chose to render given parts of speech or clauses?

• Like 1

There is a last-day.of-the-sale related to this thread, for those of us who have that amount $460 lying around. Which would also buy a part of The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill) to get started. (An unrelated item is Brill Intellectuals -series, I've got a volume about The Reception of Bodin.)

Help me decide on The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill) first in print and then when or if available under Accordance digitally too, or?: Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament | software reg. price $699    On Sale: $459

The price is not the object nor is the availability critical, nor just the area of use for what I'd choose, but just whether either one vastly outperforms the other in History of Ideas purposes, as an aid in interpreting random Scripture passages, somewhat quickly sourcing the linguistically (I'll also sometimes access whatever I got Years back brief works) or later on in my life even etymologically related texts of the ANE, and whether either one has any references to how a few English, German or French Bible versions chose to render given parts of speech or clauses?

I would always go for the EHLL- It is a fantastic resource for technical research in Hebrew at all stages.

• Like 1

+1 for Brill publications, as possible

• Like 1

Likewise my +1 for Brill EHLL especially - the Accordance format would be truly optimal for it and I'd be thrilled to have it always with me (as I always carry a laptop) - a paper copy would wear out so not last long enough and be a bit too heavy to carry around all the time when I'd expect there would be a chance to peruse it; and select volumes of Brill Intellectuals (as it's a rather big series) that might complement other descriptions of key persons in History that usually can or have been offered under Accordance:

+1 for Brill publications, as possible

I think EHLL would be realistic and that there would be a demand, it would replace the need for many other books that either are offered and particularly forthcoming that would be produced if there would be no EHLL.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

I'll happily be paying $900 anytime, soon or in a few Years, for Brill's EHLL under Accordance - not wanting it any other way. Was already sure during all phases of sales of dictionaries and encyclopedias, new releases or old resources and under another platforms. Just wanting to underline again that EHLL is essential to any efforts and would be of immence use and I'd like it under the leading platform Accordance!! I scrutinise really carefullt what Hebrew reference works are worth my money - quantity alone doesn't convince me. I can EASILY fund Brill products taking it from budgets for commentaries, maintenance with feature upgrades of other platforms, and from budgets for monographs that bogg down study more than elucidate. I said at one point here on the forums that another $7k goes from me to resources that peruse OL:s or are texts, grammars and the like - still $5k to spend accordingly. So $3k for sure on top of EHLL, under Accordance and it's my preferred spending all categories and uses of money!:

I have this in print and can say this is a fantastic resource. However, it would be very hard for Accordance to get at a good price point (around $1200.00 for the full set).

I would not be voting for the Greek lexica/etymology/linguistic Encyclopedia to be produced under Accordance, maximally BrillDAG if any and not the rest!!:

Brill produces some great stuff and I'd love to see more of it in Accordance but I agree with you Matt that a resource like this would likely be tough. There are other Brill resources I would see first (their Greek lexica for example - etymology and ancient greek) but all that said, +1.

Some user who haven't participated in this thread may be cautious about spending thousands on advanced reference works with languages but some of them should start to show support! It's good to make plans what kind of upgrades makes sense, what type of works organised alphabetically or canonically.

I'll gladly skip hundreds of books that don't measure up anyway to the levels of scholarship here

• Like 1

I use EHLL for every paper I write. I find multiple articles in it that are invaluable, both in terms of content and bibliography. Well worth the money in any format you can find it

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I encourage to skip non-scholarly books and return purchases under electronic competitors of everything that is expositional or devotional only in content!

Give likes to any of my posts up since 2016!

I'll still pay in December 2028 and up to $1.15k for one copy one installation:

I'll happily be paying $900 anytime, soon or in a few Years,

[...]

I'll gladly skip hundreds of books that don't measure up anyway to the levels of scholarship here

• 2 years later...

This resource needs to be added to Accordance! +1

Edited by Andrew Nance

😮 

2 minutes ago, Jordan S said:

Its on the list of to-do's. 

+1 That would be really great to add this resource to accordance!

Shalom

• 3 weeks later...

I would buy this in a heartbeat as soon as it becomes available. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

+1 Very interested

• Like 1