Using Accordance font in Windows10 / MSWord 2016

Tricia08

I have installed Accordance 12, Greek and Hebrew Discover package, plus Syriac add-on. The Accordance font file has loaded correctly in the Windows\Windows\Fonts subdirectory. But when I open MSWord, although I can see the Accordance font listed, it only types characters in English. How do I get MSWord to recognise and type in Greek and Hebrew and Syriac? Yes I can do this through Insert\Character Map, but I need to do quite a bit of typing in Greek and Syriac, and it would be better to be able to set up a style to do this. Has anyone done this successfully.

Tricia

Hi Tricia,

It's not a word processor style question usually, though sometimes you'll need to tell the WP which language is in effect in which places for dictionary support to work properly.

But you will need to get a keyboard mapping for the languages you want so that the keystrokes emit the correct character codes. I use the Ezra SIL Hebrew on Windows, and John Schwandt's EZ Accent Greek keyboard. You'll want to read up on installing keyboards these pages may help :

https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=KeyboardInstallationAndUse

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-keyboard-layout-windows-10

Thx

D

Hi,

As Daniel said, you will need to inform the system that the input language is Hebrew or Greek in order to see the correct characters in the word processor.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-properly-change-system-default-language-windows-10tells you how to add different languages and switch between them as needed.

Note that once you add a language, you can easily switch between languages by pressing the Windows key + Space.  Once the Hebrew is active, Accordance font will type in Hebrew.

If you are not comfortable with the language's keyboard, you can look in your system for "on-Screen keyboard" - it makes typing a little faster when you know which key represents which character.

Thank you both for your help. I have now activated the correct keyboard layouts, so am typing beautifully (in MSWord) from English to Greek to Syriac and back again! So simple when you know how!

Thanks again

Tricia

• Like 1

I don't recommend the Accordance font in Word. The problem with the line spacing is still not solved. 

Greetings

Fabian

For Greek and Hebrew keyboard input, I highly recommend using the free Tavultesoft Keyman program.

• Go HERE for the Windows version. Go HERE for the macOS version. There is supporting information on those pages to help you with installation.
    • Once you install the program, you need to get the keyboard for Greek and Hebrew. Go HERE and download/install the Galaxie BibleScript Mnemonic keyboard. There is supporting information that includes keyboard layouts.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabian -- 

You don't recommend the Accordance font in Word because the line spacing problem is not solved. 

Can you suggest an alternative?  Mellel seems to have the same problem.

thanks,

Michael

We've actually done some extensive reworking of the Accordance font, that among many other things, improves the line spacing.  It'll be entering beta testing shortly.

• Like 2

MGVH,

Thanks for the link to Keyman. I had not heard of it before.

I use Ukelele, a free Mac OS X keyboard layout editor by SIL. When you download it, it comes with a folder of about four dozen Unicode keyboard layouts, including:

Greek Polytonic (includes diacritical markings)
Greek
Hebrew-QWERTY

Hebrew (I take this to be the Israeli keyboard layout, but not sure)

A.D.

• 11 months later...

Hello

Many Thanks for the Accordance Font v. 1.1. The line spacing is better but it is still more than in Helena, Yehudit or Arial and all other in Microsoft Word. So if we use the Accordance font the lines with a word in the Accordance Font are bigger and it doesn't look well. 

Please try it again. 

Greetings

Fabian

• 2 months later...

We've actually done some extensive reworking of the Accordance font, that among many other things, improves the line spacing.  It'll be entering beta testing shortly.

Any updates on where you are with this process?

Edited by robrecht
  • Like 1

Version 12.3.6 includes the latest version of the Accordance font so if you have installed that version, you have our latest work on it.