Jewish Annotated New Testament, The

TYA

In the store, for this product, please remove the claim "

• First New Testament annotated by Jewish scholars

"

This is patently false, and quite insulting to a Jewish believer in Yeshua.  First of all, there have been several "New Testaments" translated and annotated by Jewish scholars.  You even sell one of them here: "The Complete Jewish Bible" by Dr. David Stern, a Jewish scholar.  And I could name others, such as the "Aramaic English New Testament," written by another Jewish scholar.

Besides, I don't like the idea of attributing such "grandeur" to Jewish scholars who (from my understanding) don't even consider the apostles' writings to be historically reliable and accurate.  In other words, these people (again, to my understanding, though I'm not crossing the line into presumption) don't even accept the "New Testament" as truthful.

In the store, for this product, please remove the claim "

• First New Testament annotated by Jewish scholars

"

This is patently false, and quite insulting to a Jewish believer in Yeshua.  First of all, there have been several "New Testaments" translated and annotated by Jewish scholars.  You even sell one of them here: "The Complete Jewish Bible" by Dr. David Stern, a Jewish scholar.  And I could name others, such as the "Aramaic English New Testament," written by another Jewish scholar.

Besides, I don't like the idea of attributing such "grandeur" to Jewish scholars who (from my understanding) don't even consider the apostles' writings to be historically reliable and accurate.  In other words, these people (again, to my understanding, though I'm not crossing the line into presumption) don't even accept the "New Testament" as truthful.

I am not 100% sure but the product description may come from the product itself, not Accordance. They may have to include the publishers description of the work (however valid) to ensure the publication rights are met. Someone else may speak more to this. It definitely is not a true claim as there are Hebrew versions of the NT that are quite old, written in Hebrew.

While it's not a requirement, the descriptions we use on our product pages are generally the publisher's descriptions. I have removed that statement from the description.

While it's not a requirement, the descriptions we use on our product pages are generally the publisher's descriptions. I have removed that statement from the description.

Thanks for the clarity Julie! I think that was for the best.

I feel it could have been better worded such as "First New Testament annotated by modern scholars from the Jewish faith." Although I realize even my amended version may be too off the mark for some. I know there are many Jewish followers of Yeshua but this work is done in my understanding from an outsider view saying how the traditional Jewish thought and faith at it's time of writing influenced the NT in ways that many often miss.

-dan

PS: I do own this but I do not know if any of the contributing scholars were believers in Yeshua.

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1

PS: I do own this but I do not know if any of the contributing scholars were believers in Yeshua.

-> ​None of them are believers in Yeshua. But the book is worth any penny especially the second version.

• Like 1

I understand that my opinion is somewhat biased, what with me working for OakTree and also as the developer of this particular module and all…, but I found the backmatter essays worth their weight in gold.

Edited by Graham Buck
  • Like 4

-> ​None of them are believers in Yeshua. But the book is worth any penny especially the second version.

Oh for both this and the 2nd version jewish study bible to be made available in accordance. All pertition oup!!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks all for the input / adjustment to the product description.

To be clear, my issue with the description wasn't the authors' belief (or lack thereof) in Yeshua as the Messiah.  My issue was simply the claim that they were the first to produce an annotated version of the Apostolic Writings ("NT").  Such smacks of the rabbinic scandal against *Jewish* believers in Yeshua, like myself.  My ancestors wrote the book!

Edited by TYA

• 5 months later...

Oh for both this and the 2nd version jewish study bible to be made available in accordance. All pertition oup!!!!!

Good News! The second editions of the Jewish Study Bible and the Jewish Annotated New Testament are now available for Accordance!