20% Off Sale (Sep 4-10, 2018): What Modules Are You Eying?

JohnABarnett

I thought it might be fun and perhaps helpful for some of us to post about the modules we are considering during the 20% off sale.

Helpful: There are so many good modules and for many like me so little funds that I have to choose carefully what I buy. I have to be strategic. I need to have a good idea what modules I am interested in now. But there are some modules where it's not uncommon to see them on sale cheaper. Reading what choices others are making might give me ideas I hadn't previously considered.

Fun: Face it, in this community there are people that come at their study of the Bible from differing perspectives, which causes them to value certain modules over others. It's interesting to see what others find a compelling module.

If I had to decide right now (and I don't!) I would get the Beale/Carson Commentary on OT Use of NT. It's a bedrock tool. I know it will at some point pop up at a better sale price, but it's been on my Wish List from the start. It keeps getting bumped by a combination of higher priorities and limited funds. I like when possible to add bedrock tools applicable to all my studies.

So, what modules are YOU considering (or buying)? If you have a chance to briefly explain why, that's a bonus.

Zero at this time! I’m waiting on a bigger discount or a good sale on the NIB Family products.

• Like 2

If I had to decide right now (and I don't!) I would get the Beale/Carson Commentary on OT Use of NT. It's a bedrock tool.

The joy of accordance forum!!!!!!!!

I never knew such a tool existed until it was on sale a few years ago. Got it, and use it a lot!!!!!! So i would certainly suggest you get it and not wait any longer!!!

This may sound negative (and certainly nothing to do with accordance) but there have been some great deals on my two favourite lexicons, nidntte and nidotte but zondervan have not added the nidntt-a. Why get the abridged old one when you have the super new full version????? I also like mounce expository dictionary as it has both greek and hebrew and while the hebrew links to nidotte, the greek link to the nidntt-a rather than either of the full versions and as i like letting my finger do the walking, i am very tempted.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

Fraser, I have often wished those links in Mounce's Expository Dictionary worked with NIDNTTE as well. I have just added NIDNTT-A to my wish list as a possible use of this coupon. I also am pondering the advantage of just allowing the links to work as they are set up. I had forgotten that the older abridged tool was still in the store.

Thanks for getting me to think about it again,

Joseph

• Like 2

I never knew such a tool existed until it was on sale a few years ago. Got it, and use it a lot!!!!!! So i would certainly suggest you get it and not wait any longer!!!

Having just finished reading through Beale's fantastic commentary on Revelation, I got this NT use of OT commentary in print version when it first came out years ago. Unfortunately, I had to give away most of my physical library because of downsizing. Gave this volume to someone who now can't even find it. There is nothing quite like it.

I'm hoping it's reverse searchable, where you can bring up an OT reference and presto, you can link to the NT passages that refer to it is some way. Very useful if it's capable of doing this.

Edited by JohnABarnett

I'm hoping it's reverse searchable, where you can bring up an OT reference and presto, you can link to the NT passages that refer to it is some way. Very useful if it's capable of doing this.

Just did a search on ruth with setting to scripture and got a number of hits like this, so yes.

;o)

post-31185-0-40936300-1536079165_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

If I had to decide right now (and I don't!) I would get the Beale/Carson Commentary on OT Use of NT. It's a bedrock tool.

That's an excellent volume and very helpful. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

Nothing I am eyeing for this sale.... Nor will I bore any by lauding the NIB family of products as I often have but two very good smaller resources that are very well worth getting are

EERDMANS COMMENTARY ON THE BIBLE

Probably one of the finest One volume commentaries offering a surprising depth for a one volume.

FORTRESS COMMENTARY ON THE BIBLE

This two volume covers all the books in the NRSV and takes each section in a 3 pronged approach that is most helpful. Ancient Context. What did the text probably mean in its original historical and cultural context? The Text in the Interpretive Tradition. How have centuries of reading and interpreting shaped our understanding of the text? The Text in Contemporary Discussion. What are the unique challenges and interpretive questions the text addresses for readers and hearers today? 

Both these works come at the text from a critical standpoint but I feel even more conservative readers would find them useful. Feel free to message me if anyone would like a short sample from either work.

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1

Thanks Daniel for pointing to the Eerdman's one-volume commentary. I am quite thin at this point in my OT commentary coverage (I'm in great shape in the NT). This one could serve along the Tyndale commentaries to help give me broad coverage of the OT and Apocrypha. Hmm... you've given me an example of the very thing I hoped for, resources that I ought to add into the mix of my considerations.

hmm i have beale commentary on NT use of the OT in my wishlist as well.  seems like whenever it goes on sale it's always 25% off (one time 24%).  so no idea if we'll see that big sale with this title.  seems like some titles usually get marked down a lot, but others only around 20%.  i wish BDAG/HALOT would have a big sale one day, but that too only seems like only get discounted for 16%/17% when it goes on sale.  So i'm guessing that will never be discounted more than that.  hope I'm wrong though.  waiting patiently!

For what it's worth, we are working on Dictionary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament as a sister volume for the Beale/Carson commentary. 

• Like 6

Yea, Hermeneia went on sale recently with a good discount, but it was a time where I did not have the resources to purchase it. So for me, I am still hanging out for the next time Hermeneia has a good sale again.

There are other things that would be "nice to have", but I don't really "need" anything right now, but generally speaking, the 20% sale's aren't enough to get me to purchase something that is only on a "nice to have" list.  The truth is there are things I actually "need", or feel are "must haves", but they are not available in Accordance. (I am at the point of my studies where the reference works/monographs are quite niche, and not even available in Logos either)

Edited by Ιακοβ

i wish BDAG/HALOT would have a big sale one day, but that too only seems like only get discounted for 16%/17% when it goes on sale. So i'm guessing that will never be discounted more than that. waiting patiently!

There was a 25% off everything in July so its worth keeping our eyes open. And tend to use these general discounts for items i havent seen come up on sale before.

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24116-get-more-%EF%BF%BDbang%EF%BF%BD%EF%BF%BD-for-your-buck-25-off-one-order/

Im just very glad we have been getting so many offers in the last few years, virtually every week, as im not in full time ministry or training and my wallet is very pleased when we get the larger discounts like 75% on some items.

Patience is a virtue. Accordance is good at teaching us that and is obviously virtuous!!!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

There was a 25% off everything in July so its worth keeping our eyes open. And tend to use these general discounts for items i havent seen come up on sale before.

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24116-get-more-%EF%BF%BDbang%EF%BF%BD%EF%BF%BD-for-your-buck-25-off-one-order/

Im just very glad we have been getting so many offers in the last few years, virtually every week, as im not in full time ministry or training and my wallet is very pleased when we get the larger discounts like 75% on some items.

Patience is a virtue. Accordance is good at teaching us that and is obviously virtuous!!!

;o)

25% is nice, but 75% is nicer and i like to wait for what's nicer

For what it's worth, we are working on Dictionary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament as a sister volume for the Beale/Carson commentary. 

When you say "we are working on," I presume you mean as an original production in preparation for publication? That would be great!

I'm one of four editors of the project (Beale, Carson, and Naselli are the others), and it should work well as an electronic edition. Right up Accordance's alley. We are just now inviting contributors, so it won't be published for a few years. 

When you say "we are working on," I presume you mean as an original production in preparation for publication? That would be great!

• Like 3

I'm one of four editors of the project (Beale, Carson, and Naselli are the others), and it should work well as an electronic edition. Right up Accordance's alley. We are just now inviting contributors, so it won't be published for a few years. 

Just read your RTS page. You've written on a number of fascinating subjects. I hope I get a chance to read your work on Paul as Daniel and on the Trinity in Revelation. And I look forward to the DIctionary whenever it comes out.

• Like 2

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. In the end I went with my original thought and purchased the Beale/Carson Commentary NT/OT.

It will be interesting to perhaps see what decisions/purchases others have made.

• Like 1

Jewish resources.  I'm grateful for the 20%, but I agree with a previous post, it would help to be a bigger discount.  Thanks.

Jewish resources.

Its worth searching the accordance announcements to see what has been discounted in the past and when, particularly around the festivals. Compared to what hasnt been included in sales previously.

As an indicator but not as a guarantee. (Dependent on publishers).

Edited by ukfraser

Yom Kippur is September 18th this year so a sale may be coming up in the next couple go rounds but always hard to know..

-dan

With the discount, I got:

1) Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament (Beale-Carson Commentary) [Thanks to @JohnABarnett for pointing this out] 

2) Outside the Bible: Ancient Jewish Writings Related to Scripture (3 Volumes) (Outside the Bible)

3) Theological Journal Library 16 - Volumes through 2012 (TJL 1-16)

and 2 Chinese bibles in In 1 order.

Too bad the discount was not applied against 2) Outside the Bible. But I'm grateful regardless.

It was timely as I was considering the Theological Journal Library for some time. 

Edited by lesterchua
  • Like 2

Too bad the discount was not applied against 2) Outside the Bible. But I'm grateful regardless.

Depending on when you placed your order, chances are that the Outside the Bible product was already sale priced at a higher discount. Our discounts are never stacked so the current sale price is a better deal for you.