Peshitta Aramaic Tanakh ("OT) in Hebrew Characters

TYA

This request is to have the Peshitta Aramaic Tanakh (a.k.a. "Peshitta Syriac OT") in Hebrew letters, specifically for the purpose of being able to cross-search it along with other Hebrew texts.

You already have the Peshitta "NT" in Hebrew characters, making it cross-searchable with Delitzsch's and the Modern Hebrew New Testament (though the latter are truly Hebrew language texts, while the former is Syriac/Aramaic), along with all Hebrew Tanakh texts (Dead Sea Scrolls, Qumran, etc.).

So, I'm grateful that you put Peshitta "NT," Curetonian, and Sinaiticus into Hebrew characters--again, which is important for lexical analyses across versions and texts.

The Peshitta Aramaic Tanakh is an important version for textual criticism, and I'm very appreciative that you do have it (and tagged, which is even an advantage over BW).  I can read the Estrangela (cursive script), but it isn't cross-searchable with Hebrew texts.  (In BW, it is, though I have it in both cursive and Hebrew square script there anyway).

Now, I already have this text saved in a ASCI .txt file (in Windows) and if you tell me that I can import it into Accordance and instantly have it cross-searchable with other Hebrew texts, then that will satisfy my desire.  But some have indicated that Accordance may not allow it to be cross-searchable, even if I can import it, and that is a major problem.

If the latter is the case, then please simply transliterate the existing Peshitta Tanakh you already make available into Hebrew characters, and make it searchable with all other Hebrew texts.  I'm not a programmer, but since the alphabet is precisely the same (it is just a different script), I can't imagine that it would take a programmer more than an hour or two to make that change.

Then you would have a whole other text available in Accordance to cross-search in Hebrew (using the wonderful "Research" feature I'm so grateful for)--and a very important text it is indeed.  Thank you.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Marc Brettler requested this the other day. Are you two in league with each other? In collusion?

• Like 1

I don't know "Marc," but I'm not surprised that others have made this same request.  The Peshitta Tanakh is one of the most important ancient textual witnesses to the original vorlage of the Tanakh, for Jewish scholars and Christian scholars alike.  Making it cross-searchable in Accordance would be a huge benefit to all scholars, and would add to the wonderful functionality of the "Research" tab.

I'm glad to see that Accordance has made the Peshitta NT, Curetonian, and Syriac Sinaiticus (all Syriac/Aramaic versions) available in Hebrew letters, thus making them cross-searchable with all other Hebrew versions.  Doing the same with the Peshitta "OT" would just complete that puzzle, so to speak.

I do have the Peshitta "OT" in BibleWorks, and I use it daily in cross-searches with other Hebrew / Aramaic texts there.  It is that important.  I'd sure love to see it soon here in Accordance as well.  (I already tried importing it into Accordance, and as others have indicated, it is not cross-searchable).  But because you already have it, conversion to Hebrew letters should take minutes, and then I'm not sure what goes into making it cross-searchable, but hopefully not much.

Also, I am aware that the Peshitta "OT" is currently cross-searchable in Syriac with the Peshitta, Ben Sira, and other NT versions, and I'm grateful for that.  Making it cross-searchable in Hebrew letters would open it up to the immense storehouse of Hebrew texts in Accordance, such as targums, Qumran, Talmud, etc.  Technically, some of these are in the Aramaic language, although use have them in Hebrew letters (a longer story).  Bottom line, I can honestly say that every true scholar would appreciate having the Peshitta Tanakh cross-searchable with Hebrew texts in Accordance.  I myself hope it can be done and made available very quickly.

Thank you, Accordance, for this wonderful program, and constantly making it better.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

In Hebrew characters or a program code which lets search across would be great.

Greetings

Fabian

And please also include the Peshitta Pseudepigrapha in this request (not just canonical books).  Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Note: while I still would love for Accordance to create this module (above), I want to take a moment and say a big "Thank you" to Accordance for having recently improved both the import, and the cross-searchability of Hebrew resources in 12.3.0 and 12.3.1.

These additions / improvements to Accordance are a huge game changer that have allowed me to begin the process of integrating other important Hebrew / Aramaic texts I have (specifically to cross search with existing Accordance modules), and that wasn't possible before.

Thank you, Accordance. 

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

This request is to have the Peshitta Aramaic Tanakh (a.k.a. "Peshitta Syriac OT") in Hebrew letters, specifically for the purpose of being able to cross-search it along with other Hebrew texts.

You already have the Peshitta "NT" in Hebrew characters, making it cross-searchable with Delitzsch's and the Modern Hebrew New Testament (though the latter are truly Hebrew language texts, while the former is Syriac/Aramaic), along with all Hebrew Tanakh texts (Dead Sea Scrolls, Qumran, etc.).

So, I'm grateful that you put Peshitta "NT," Curetonian, and Sinaiticus into Hebrew characters--again, which is important for lexical analyses across versions and texts.

The Peshitta Aramaic Tanakh is an important version for textual criticism, and I'm very appreciative that you do have it (and tagged, which is even an advantage over BW).  I can read the Estrangela (cursive script), but it isn't cross-searchable with Hebrew texts.  (In BW, it is, though I have it in both cursive and Hebrew square script there anyway).

Now, I already have this text saved in a ASCI .txt file (in Windows) and if you tell me that I can import it into Accordance and instantly have it cross-searchable with other Hebrew texts, then that will satisfy my desire.  But some have indicated that Accordance may not allow it to be cross-searchable, even if I can import it, and that is a major problem.

If the latter is the case, then please simply transliterate the existing Peshitta Tanakh you already make available into Hebrew characters, and make it searchable with all other Hebrew texts.  I'm not a programmer, but since the alphabet is precisely the same (it is just a different script), I can't imagine that it would take a programmer more than an hour or two to make that change.

Then you would have a whole other text available in Accordance to cross-search in Hebrew (using the wonderful "Research" feature I'm so grateful for)--and a very important text it is indeed.  Thank you.

I strongly second this. Right now I go back to Bibleworks when I want access to this text. 

Note: This should be pretty easy as there is a one to one correspondence to the letters in the Aramaic text. A global search and replace should be sufficient to create this text. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shalom - I bought this module thinking, Like why would this not be in Hebrew with Nikkudot?... Yet sadly for that price I was expecting it, the big words of the module seemed to go over my head apparently that it was only the NT...

Heard this module was the best in regards of the Aramaic so I ended up buying it even if it was expensive - expecting there would be Hebrew letters with Nikudot - you know its not a cheap module :)

Yet now I'm sitting here with Aramaic letters and without Aramaic Nikudot and iv tried to learn some but, come on my brain is already stretch to the limit!.... And I'm still learning hebrew, yet I can at least read pretty good now by the Nikudot and Hebrew but mostly need help in understanding what I'm reading, so I was VERY sad that there is no Hebrew with Nikudot for the Law and the Prophets and the rest of the books, WHY NOT???

So... I hope you fix this with all the books including the outside books :)

There does seem to be some new Nikuds in Hebrew? Like the upstanding lines and sometimes lines over the letters, I think it might be an Ah sound, and I think one more? But I'm sure I can learn what does are at some point. But that was in regards of the NT Module that have these.

Edited by DarkiJah

Shalom - I bought this module

It might help if you name the specific module you are referring to.  And also, maybe include a screenshot of exactly what you are referring to.  Just a suggestion, because it isn't totally clear to me.

Shalom.

Edited by TYA

This entire topic is about the OT Peshitta text which we texted and tagged ourselves (thanks to Dr. Jeremy Lund). It has a completely different history from that of the NT Peshitta which we licensed from the Peshitta Institute (George Kiraz) along with other texts and the text in Hebrew (actually Aramaic) characters.

I think it would be a major task to convert the OT Peshitta to Hebrew characters, let alone add Nikud.

Remember that you can display transliteration in Instant Details if you cannot read the Syriac characters.

• Like 1

You can even display the "Word Translit." row in the Interlinear, so you see each transliteration under each word.

I think it would be a major task to convert the OT Peshitta to Hebrew characters, let alone add Nikud.

In point of fact to convert the Syriac Estrangela script to Hebrew block letters only takes about 10 minutes, because it is the exact same 22-character alphabet.  The only consideration is the final form letters, which work a little differently in Estrangela, but still pretty easy.

That being said, I'm not an Accordance programmer.  And regarding the nikkudot, that would indeed take a very long time, because it would have to be done manually for the entire Peshitta Tanakh.

I'd still like to have an official Accordance Hebrew script version of the Peshitta Tanakh (even without nikkudot), but I'm not pushing for it anymore, because I have a text that already works (thanks to Accordance' awesome team for making Hebrew texts cross-searchable in the Research Tab!!!), but I just don't have clearance to share it at this point.

Thanks all.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

And regarding the nikkudot, that would indeed take a very long time

Now that I think about it, even this may not take long, depending on how the vowels were entered into the current Syriac Peshitta Tanakh text in Accordance.  If it is something that a "Find & Replace" could impact, then the vowels also may not take much time.  Admittedly, I'm less sure about the programming aspect of the vowels versus the consonantal text.

The current Syriac Peshitta Tanakh in Accordance uses Western Greek letter vowels ("a," "e", "i" "o" "u").  Hypothetically, if "Find & Replace" could be used with these, then they could easily be swapped into approximate equivalents in Hebrew nikkudot, just like swapping the Syriac characters for Hebrew block script, which I have done myself, and which is very easy.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

+1 I would also be thankful if this was available.