Pruning verse references?

Donald Cobb

Hi all,

Is there any way to prune a list of references? I mean this: in BibleWorks, you can do a search for a word that will bring up each of its occurrences. However, since not all of them may be relevant, you can also uncheck each unwanted reference and then remove from the list all those that have been unchecked (or, obversely, all those that remain checked).

You can also make that pruned list a new search range for subsequent searches.

This is a hugely useful feature for any kind of scholarly work, but I can't seem to find anything like it in Accordance. Does this exist?

Thanks for any pointers you can give!

DC

You cannot prune a result because then you would have a mismatch between the search criteria at the top and the results in the pane. Accordance's solution is the Reference list. Select the verses you do want and use the Selection menu to copy them to a Reference list. That tab can then be named and saved, used as the basis of a search, and edited by removing or adding verses. You can display different versions, add parallel panes, and do anything you want with the text.

You can use another search tab and then do something like [CONTENTS refListTab] <AND> .... for example

Thx

D

You cannot prune a result because then you would have a mismatch between the search criteria at the top and the results in the pane. Accordance's solution is the Reference list. Select the verses you do want and use the Selection menu to copy them to a Reference list. That tab can then be named and saved, used as the basis of a search, and edited by removing or adding verses. You can display different versions, add parallel panes, and do anything you want with the text.

Thank you Helen. I'll try working with that. One of the things I should have specified was that a frequent use of pruning references is that you can then, with a click on the context menu, export the list of references into a word processor. This is useful for giving a illustrative (as opposed to a comprehensive) list of relevant passages, that can be inserted into the body of a text or a footnote, etc. 

Is this possible with the reference list?

Thanks for your help!

DC

Just select all (or the desired portion), and do Copy As -> References, from either the Edit Menu or Right Click menu.

I've never much worked with Reference Lists.

I was just playing with saving one and the reopening it and such. It isn't uniquely identified as a different type of file. It just looks like a .accord workspace file, opening as a single tab workspace. It doesn't appear in the workspaces in one's library either.

Is the best practice to name them then as blaRL or some such thing ? or am I missing some RL management option ?

Thx

D

Thank you Daniel and Joel. This works very well. The "[CONTENTS refListTab] <AND>" command gives good results. I appreciate your help!

DC

• Like 1