Amplify/search randomly fails in HMT-W4 module

John Cook

I've been launching into a study of Isaiah 40ff. and noticed that the amplify/search feature is not working correctly. It seems an almost random issue, as I can get it to work fairly well in Genesis, on and off in a passage in Job, but it is seriously problematic in Isaiah.

I can reduplicate the problem, which is this: tap the word and instant details comes up fine, showing the correct lexical item and information. However, if I choose search or amplify I get one of two results: "the entry was not found in any of the tools or texts requested" or it takes me to an entry (or supplies in the search window) the last word in the verse from which I selected the word.

I tried reinstalling the HMT-W4 module with no difference, and the problem appears to be identical on my phone. The resource it should be amplifying is HALOT. I'm running OS 11.4 on both devices. It all works fine on my Macbook, which is why I think it must be a weire IOS issue. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by John Cook

So, John, is this 100% reproducible in a passage in Isaiah? Which word and verse is it always not working for you?

I'm in Isaiah 40: the first two words of Is 40:1 send me to the correct entry in HALOT. However, דברו at the start of v. 2 sends me to כי in HALOT and קול at the head of verse 3 gives me the message that the word cannot be found. Oddly, all of them show the correct HALOT information in the instant details box.

Edited by John Cook

Hi Joel,

FWIW, I had similar problems with Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia on both mobile platforms. The problems occur after frequent switching between Amplify > Lexeme and Search > Lexeme. I didn’t notice like John did that it amplified to/searched the last word of the verse, just that it was the wrong word. “The entry was not found . . .” dialogue appeared frequently in Android. The Amplify > Lexeme to the wrong word occurred frequently in iOS.

These problems, along with improvements in the desktop version (Live Click), influenced my decision to use the desktop version almost exclusively for the last few months.

Regards,

Michel

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, but I definitely see a problem, and this will be fixed for the next rev.  Thanks for the report!

A side note, if you switch your Hebrew text to Separate Verses, it should work correctly, as a temporary workaround.

Thanks Joel, and sure enough, separate verses solves the problem. I'll use that work around for now.