Tab Ties Question

TYA

Great day.  I'm having trouble with tying tabs together.  Please see attached.  Thank you!

post-35231-0-62576400-1537058661_thumb.jpg

You can also try to search for all verses ( Verses - *) first too if you haven't searched for any text yet in the tied tabs.

Gladly.  Thank you.

post-35231-0-59023600-1537059315_thumb.jpg

That tab will never show 1 John because you've limited the content of that tab to Deut. 30:12 with your verse search.

So, this whole window is a Workspace that I created, and in this particular instance, I opened it from Deut 30:12 in another window.  That is why "Deut 30:12" appears in the field, but that isn't what was searched.

(Accordance has a funny way of changing or removing info in the search fields, and it is quite misleading--at least in screenshots that are posted.  In some of my most recent screenshots (those from tonight), I've actually had to manually cross out the data that Accordance puts in the search field in the screenshot, because it literally changes what I had in there, and would be misleading to any looking at it.  Perhaps this too requires some modification).

Even though the field says "Deut 30:12" at the top of the screenshot, the fact is that I had searched "John 1:1" in the "WP (Acc)" module, which is a full Bible module.  The "ETH (Acc)" is only a "NT" module, but contains John 1:1, which is what I demonstrated in the screenshot.

The anomaly seems to be that the Bible versions to the left of the "WP (Acc)" tab all sync when I type "OT" verses into "WP (Acc)."  (Hence, I'm not a dummy when it comes to this topic).

But the versions to the right (which are all "NT"-only) versions *don't* sync when I type John 1:1, Mark 1:1, Luke 1:1, etc. into the "WP (Acc)" version.  That is the part that I don't understand.

I hope that this better explains the situation.

Edited by TYA

(Accordance has a funny way of changing or removing info in the search fields, and it is quite misleading--at least in screenshots that are posted.  In some of my most recent screenshots (those from tonight), I've actually had to manually cross out the data that Accordance puts in the search field in the screenshot, because it literally changes what I had in there, and would be misleading to any looking at it.  Perhaps this too requires some modification).

I've seen this occur in some of your other threads as well. Accordance never does this without user intervention. I suspect that something within your workflow is causing it.

When you enter something into the search field only that information will appear in that results pane. So, even if it is tied to another pane that is showing 1John that pane will never show 1John until you've "imported" 1John (or all text with the *) into that pane.

Try this...

1. Open two tabs of the same text type (NT or OT, for example).

2. Tie the 2nd tab to the first tab.

3. In the first tab, type 1John

You'll notice that the 2nd tab shows nothing. That is because you haven't pulled anything into the results pane.

Now.. 

4. In the 2nd tab search for Verses = *

Now you can scroll and search in the first tab and the second tab will move along with it.

Thanks Jarcher,

Yes, Accordance does occasionally add, change, or remove what is in the search fields.  It removed my Hebrew word that I posted in another topic, and that caused Dr. J. and others confusion when looking at the screenshot.  That wasn't my fault.

And in a most recent topic I posted regarding search trouble tonight, Accordance kept changing the filter to "Word" instead of "Letters."  If you see that photo, you'll see that I literally crossed it out in the screenshot.  You might say that it was because it couldn't find what I was looking for.  That's fine with me, but I'm still correct in my observation that Accordance changed what was there.

And in other instances, Accordance populates suffix information when performing searches.  But don't misunderstand: none of this is a complaint.  I simply made an observation.  And it is correct.  You can't just blame it on my workflow.

But as to your exercise, see attached.

post-35231-0-29111500-1537062861_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

In your screenshot, you searched for every word, not every verse. That is why it took awhile and turned everything red.

Great, thank you for clarifying.  Let me test this out momentarily.

But I truly think the issue I was having with "ETH (Acc)" may have had to do with some text control issue in Accordance, since this is a user-created module.  I've noticed this with my user-created modules, which I've invested many hours into.

1) I've made sure that they are properly versified (and book names renamed where necessary).

2) I've made sure that verses without text have a dash "-" added to them.  Otherwise, Accordance messes it up.  But okay.

3) I open them in Accordance and make sure that the versification answers to other versions.

I really believe the initial problem in this thread pertains to (what I assume to call) "text control issue" in Accordance.  I've read in the Help section how to make user files (Bible text), and I've successfully uploaded and used them.  But I already know that there are other issues with user-created files, such as unicode.

For instance,

1) Hebrew unicode versions get mangled when searched.  (These versions behave properly in other programs, and they even view properly when not being searched in Accordance, so I don't know why the text would get bunched up or pulled apart here).  I've tested this with *multiple* versions I've imported.

2) No R-T-L verse marker support.  (Something addressed by others, of course).

3) No cross-searching with other Hebrew versions (technically not a bug, but based on Accordance' code.  But would be great to cross-search(!)

But I truly think the issue I was having with "ETH (Acc)" may have had to do with some text control issue in Accordance, since this is a user-created module.  I've noticed this with my user-created modules, which I've invested many hours into.

1) I've made sure that they are properly versified (and book names renamed where necessary).

2) I've made sure that verses without text have a dash "-" added to them.  Otherwise, Accordance messes it up.  But okay.

3) I open them in Accordance and make sure that the versification answers to other versions.

I really believe the initial problem in this thread pertains to (what I assume to call) "text control issue" in Accordance.  I've read in the Help section how to make user files (Bible text), and I've successfully uploaded and used them.  But I already know that there are other issues with user-created files, such as unicode.

For instance,

1) Hebrew unicode versions get mangled when searched.  (These versions behave properly in other programs, and they even view properly when not being searched in Accordance, so I don't know why the text would get bunched up or pulled apart here).  I've tested this with *multiple* versions I've imported.

3) No cross-searching with other Hebrew versions (technically not a bug, but based on Accordance' code.  But would be great to cross-search(!)

For instance,

For instance,

3) No cross-searching with other Hebrew versions (technically not a bug, but based on Accordance' code.  But would be great to cross-search.

In your screenshot, you searched for every word, not every verse. That is why it took awhile and turned everything red.

No, sir.  This is ironically the perfect demonstration that I'm correct in what I said up above about Accordance changing stuff.  No wonder people think I don't know what I'm doing.  Accordance changes the field (!) I wish I had a video to show you, but this screenshot will suffice.  (I kid you not.)

post-35231-0-16745100-1537064098_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

Oh, sorry.  Because you wrote:

4. In the 2nd tab search for Verses = *

I was simply following (what I thought) you were recommending.

Ha. I guess that makes sense. 

I hope that this will help you recreate the same in your workspace that you were having issues with. If it still doesn't work by reproducing this in that workspace and it is another issue I'm happy to work through that as well.

One other important distinction is between the main search area at the top, and the smaller GoTo box at the bottom right. If your only goal is to jump to a specific verse, I recommend simply typing it in the GoTo box instead.

99% if the time I find I leave my main search area blank (equivalent to a verse search for *), to display all verses, then just navigate with the GoTo. I only put verses in the top area when I wish to specifically limit the verses to an individual or discontinuous set.

With the tying, this is to help keep scrolling in line between different tabs. If instead you wish to keep the searches the same, perhaps try the [LINK] command instead?

• Like 1

Jarcher,

Thank you for the link.  That was very kind of you to do that.  Pretty neat too, as I didn't know you could create a link that would actually "import" into someone else's instance of Accordance, like this did.

Joel,

Point taken that "Tab ties" aren't primarily to link verses from one version to another, but rather to tie the scrolling.  Still though, if they work to link the verse (and they do, by and large), why not use them as such?  (I did try the linking command, as you suggested, and may need to learn more about that to be successful).

(Note: my goal here is to have a full screen English Bible (not sharing screenspace with anything else), but to be able to most quickly jump to another version of the Bible).  The dropdown menu is slower than I'd like, because it doesn't allow my mouse to scroll.  But even if it did, that takes far more time than I want.  I prefer to have all my favorite English Bibles lined up in tabs.  (I like how e-Sword allows tabs to stack (multiple layers), where Accordance seems to prefer only a left and right arrows).

At any rate, I figured something out.  The "NT"-only versions that weren't keeping up with my new verse choices, like the "ETH (Acc)"... I tried going to these particular tabs and manually typing a new Scripture verse.  As soon as I did that once, that particular tab would begin syncing with others.  Then, though they were all tied to "WP (Acc)," if I changed the verse for any of the versions, they would all being syncing, or following that other version.

It strikes me as odd, because I didn't have to do this "prime the pump" maneuver with the JPS 1985, JPS 1917, or LEE (Acc) (the latter two my own imports).  They always began following the "WP (Acc)" right away, which gave me hope that I was doing something valid.  The NASB 1995 also syncs perfectly with the "WP (Acc)".

It is only the versions to the right of that tab, such as the "ETH (Acc)" that require a manual "priming" by entering a verse reference manually in their search bar.  Then they follow the "WP (Acc)" (and any other version that has "NT" references, for that matter.

You've both been a terrific help as always.  Thanks so much.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1