Comparing Verse Lists

TYA

Great day all.  Please advise the best way to accomplish this goal (see attached).  Thank you.

post-35231-0-33819900-1537422899_thumb.jpg

TYA,

First you do a search in your BHS/HMT for your first term, in this case, "כֹּֽפֶר", and then in your English text you run this command 

[CONTENTS Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica) Tagged] <and> ransom

What this does is use the verse list generated in tab one as the limiting range for the second search. 

post-30445-0-60373400-1537445685_thumb.png

• Like 2

Graham, you explanation makes me recall how things were done in UNIX. 

Stream1 [operation] —> stream2 [operation] —> … —> output

Most of what I worked with were text file streams, so how Accordance works just strongly resembles my UNIX days. Too bad grep doesn't work on compressed and tokenized files. ;-)

Shalom,

Joseph

• Like 1

While not related to your exact goal, I suspect the reason you received that error message is that you had more than one tab named "Tab 1." Perhaps in another open Workspace?

Graham, you explanation makes me recall how things were done in UNIX. 

Stream1 [operation] —> stream2 [operation] —> … —> output

Most of what I worked with were text file streams, so how Accordance works just strongly resembles my UNIX days. Too bad grep doesn't work on compressed and tokenized files. ;-)

Shalom,

Joseph

For a little fun, you might like this little program written by a user: RegexForAccordance

About as close to grep as you're going to get for Accordance.

• Like 2

Graham and Tim are right.  Your specific error message is letting you know that you have two or more tabs named "Tab 1", so it can't find the specific one you desire.  Is it possible you opened your workspace multiple times?

Also, while this method works, there are possibly better ways to accomplish your search.  For instance, since your JPS has strong's built in, you can simply do a search like this:

[KEY H3724]@-ransom

This will, entirely within the JPSS and with one tab, do the search for that Hebrew word כֹּפֶר when it was not translated into 'ransom'.  Or, you could take Graham's approach and do the CONTENTS command mixed in with a search.  While doing CONTENTS AND CONTENTS (or CONTENTS NOT CONTENTS) is the direct way to accomplish your goal of comparing verse lists, there are probably better ways to get to the actual result you are desiring.

• Like 1

For a little fun, you might like this little program written by a user: RegexForAccordance

About as close to grep as you're going to get for Accordance.

Thanks Graham,  I am definitely going to have fun with this!

Would be nice to have for Windows.

Graham and Tim are right.  Your specific error message is letting you know that you have two or more tabs named "Tab 1", so it can't find the specific one you desire.

Yep, that fixed it.  This works great.  And I figured out that changing <NOT> to <AND> let me get the results are in both lists.  Wonderful.  Thanks all!  Now, I have a follow-up question regarding how to set this little "work station" up.  See attached photo please.

post-35231-0-29694200-1537465352_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Would be nice to have for Windows.

I think RegexForAccordance uses a Mac specific feature to extract the data, if I recall correctly. Personally I would like to see such a feature natively in the product on all platforms.

Thx

D

To answer your question TYA, I would probably save a workspace, as you described, with just the three tabs Tab 1, Tab 2, and Comparison Tab, but with the searches in both Tab 1 and Tab 2 to be blank..  Then, I would simply open the workspace (no need to amplify! File -> Open Workspace, or from the Library, should be fine).  Once open, I would go to my Tab 1 and type Shift-Control-C.  This would not only insert the CONTENTS command for me, but give me a dialog to quickly pick the tab containing the verses I wish to consider as List 1.  Similarly, I would then click to Tab 2 and type Shift-Control-C again, selecting the verse list I wish for List 2.  Once I've linked my two lists, simply running the search should automatically update Comparison tab as you like.

The advantage of this is A: The straightforward updating of Tabs 1 and 2 from any current situation source.  B: It means I can then have anything else fancy in my Comparison tab, be it other linked tabs, other open parallels, etc.

• Like 1

Joel, I like this process.  I'm getting the hang of it.  Thank you.

A follow-up question.  One thing that would be nice to have is the statistics, or analytics of the results.  In other words, "there are 300 verses that they have in common."  Or, "there are 240 verses that are different."

Is this number, circled in red (see attached), indicating any such thing, or no?

Toma

post-35231-0-55840000-1537510575_thumb.jpg

Yes, that’s exactly it. In your example there are 1475 verses unique to Tab 1.

• Like 2

Lovely.  Thank you, Joel.

• Like 1