Live Click Info Pane Research Cultural background

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:52 AM

...and have you used it? Do you find it accurate?

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#22 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,621 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

...and have you used it? Do you find it accurate?

I’ve used Abbyy from within the respective applications it came with for OCR work. But I usually switched to Acrobat Pro for cropping, properly aligning pages, better compression control, etc., because it was better at those kinds of things. When I dropped Adobe, I found that PDF Pen Pro was capable (at least in everything I’ve tried so far) of doing everything that Acrobat could do.

• Timothy Jenney likes this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#23 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:07 AM

I have tried ABBYY and I also have the lite version that comes with Devonthink Pro as well.

I think I have tried the demo version of every available Mac OCR program I could find: but I came back to Acrobat Pro 11 (not Creative Cloud).

I have tried PDFPenPro and I think I rated it as a possible replacement for Acrobat should the time come for that.

At the moment (as of about 4 months ago) I couldn't see any reason to move on from Acrobat Pro 11 as long as it keeps on working.

Speed and accuracy I find depends on the bast possible scan, hence I scan at 600 DPI greyscale.

I could scan in 1200 DPI bitmap, but apart from OCR and searching the documents I also need to read them, and bitmap text is ugly to read.

Everything is a compromise, of course.

#24 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,621 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

Alistair, I put a lot of my scanned books on my iPad and view/read/annotate them in GoodReader. What do you use? 

I picked GoodReader in the early days of the iPad (2010) because at the time, it was the only PDF reader that wouldn’t crash when loading a 700+ page philosophy textbook (that I had scanned), which I was using in a class I was teaching at that time. The annotation tools in GoodReader are excellent, but the interface has always been a bit clunky to me. I’m sure other PDF readers on iOS would would be stable enough for large documents today. Now that I’m using PDFpenPro on my my Mac, I’ve considered trying out the iOS version.

What do you use? 

And Tim, I realize this thread has strayed way off point. My apologies for contributing to that fact. On the positive side of things, though, your thread now has a “Hot” status in the forums, which I’m sure will draw people’s interest to the podcast :-)

• Timothy Jenney likes this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#25 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

Rick, get forScore for reading pdfs!!!!!

Its quite happy with my huge pdfs that come with computer books, 1600 plus pages and images. Interface, annotation and everyth8ng is excellent and its already had two updates since ios 12 was released. All problems quickly resolved. Plus you can link files to it.

;o)
Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#26 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hi Rick,

I don't read PDFs on my iPad or iPhone, so that isn't an issue for me.

I usually use a 27" iMac (big screen, fast processor) and a 15" MBP when mobile/portable.

I don't annotate the PDFs either—I copy passages into Pages documents and add my annotations etc that way.

Or into Scrivener for larger, more complicated projects.

Then each PDF is "virgin" every time I come to it, and I am not constrained by previous comments or annotations.

I also have PDF Expert, which allows a somewhat smoother experience of reading and does some editing tasks better than Acrobat Pro.

I have mentioned this elsewhere but I use Foxtrot Pro to index and search the files (all kinds of documents, not just PDFs).

I've not found any viable alternatives to this, it really is the workhorse of my preaching/research workflow.

[Spotlight? Meh…]

This workflow will help me find what I'm looking or, assuming I know what I am looking for.

What it will not do is distinguish between "Martin Luther" and "Martin Luther King", and then let me know that Philip Melanchthon was an associate of the former, and that Rosa Parks is connected with the latter. Apparently to do that I need data mining or text mining software, or to learn the programming language R, and write my own code. But the first developer to write a program that will do that for under £100 will get my money for sure. Any fule kno that.

Alistair

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Live Click, Info Pane, Research, Cultural background

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users