User Tool Superlink Improvement

Martin Z

Unless I'm missing something, it seem that the only way to add a superlink in user tool is through the pop up window.

I have tried to import HTML files with superlinks, but the superlinks are not imported into the user tools.

If the tool I'm trying to make contains hundreds or thousands of superlinks, it will take a lot of time to make them.

Is there a more convenient way to make superlinkes?

Or is it possible to add more support to it?

It will be great if usertools/usernotes can recognize Markdown, HTML or other languages.

At least, if importing HTML files retains the superlinks, it would be great. We can make our own HTML files first and then import it into Accordance.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Martin, you keep using the term 'superlink' - can you clarify what you mean as opposed to a regular link?

HTML links are imported correctly in User Tools last I checked.

Hello Joel,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I think the superlink is just the "regular" link you refer to. I have only "superlink" in my mind. Clinking certian words/pictures leading to somewhere else is a superlink to me.

In my case, I want to make a list of bible chapters that liked with audio files on my computer. My purpose is that, when I click, lets say, Matthew 1, it will open the mp3 file I specify and start to play.

Let's say, I have a html file (or a file in other format) with "Matthew 1" superlinked to a local file on my computer. I open the html file in my browser, click "Matthew 1", it opens the file and start to play properly.

I tried copying the text and pasting it into user tool, the superlink won't transfer to user note.

Then I tried to import the HTML file into user tool, the superlink didn't get through either.

If it could be imported, it would be great!

Here I'm attaching a html file that I used as a text. It only contains two "Matthew 2" phrase. I made them one with Markdown, the other with HTML. Both links work properly on a web browser. But the links won't be imported into user tool.

I'm wondering where I got wrong.

Matthew.html.zip

• Like 1

Hey Martin,

It looks like your syntax is just fine, I'm just seeing a bug when importing a hidden link like this (Where the displayed text is different from the URL), if the displayed text is also a valid scripture reference.  I don't know if you can work around this using that knowledge (name it 'Matthew Chapter 2' for instance), but either way we'll look into a fix.

Joel

Hey Martin,

It looks like your syntax is just fine, I'm just seeing a bug when importing a hidden link like this (Where the displayed text is different from the URL), if the displayed text is also a valid scripture reference.  I don't know if you can work around this using that knowledge (name it 'Matthew Chapter 2' for instance), but either way we'll look into a fix.

Joel

Thanks, Joel! This is very helpful!

I can understand why it is better to use something other than scripture reference for a link, just to reserve a place where Accordance will automatically make scripture reference as a scripture link.

I have tried some other ways. I use some symbols to make links. They have been successfully converted into an HTML file. But Accordance won't bring the symbols (including Unicode symbols) over, so the links are broken as well.

See the screenshot below. only the second line which has an English character "P" in the brackets works correctly when it is imported into Accordance.

post-32138-0-24060200-1538163647_thumb.png

[The left side is the HTML file I made. The right side is the imported tool in Accordance]

But I think I can live with it for now.

Thanks!!!

Blessings,
Martin

Ah. Now I have successfully made my tool. Then I realized that I want it to scroll with the Bible text. But User Tools will not scroll with the Bible text. I must use User Notes for that purpose.

But I don't think we can import HTML file as a user note yet. So we have to make the links one by one. So I'm back to where I started...

I really hope someday we can make user tools to scroll with Bible text as the commentaries, or user tools to import HTML files. I thought of importing the file as a biblical text so that it will scroll with the Bible text. But, I don't think it will support links.  :(

If you format it correctly, remember that rtf files can be imported as a user notes.

• Like 1

If you format it correctly, remember that rtf files can be imported as a user notes.

Thank you so much for this info. I have come up with a workaround. I can even make link to scripture reference with it!