Searching for patterns in a Hebrew contruct search

miketisdell

Is there anyway to enter a pattern for a noun in a Hebrew contruct search i.e. using wildcards like * (any characters) or ? (any single character). I can put patterns in the Hebrew text search but then they are not necessarily matched to the element searched in the construct search. The match any item in the verse returned that matches that pattern.

I tried adding noun + inflected to the same column in the construct search and adding a pattern to the inflected tag, but that doesn't seem to work.

Have you got an example search you are working on Mike ?

Is it something like this that you want :

post-32023-0-16768000-1538530411_thumb.jpg

Returns hits in Gen. 11:1; Ezek. 38:10; Hos. 10:4; Job. 32:4; Prov. 29:19; Eccl. 5:6; 10:14 in HMT-W4

Thx

D

• Like 1

Have you got an example search you are working on Mike ?

Is it something like this that you want :

attachicon.gifsc.jpg

Returns hits in Gen. 11:1; Ezek. 38:10; Hos. 10:4; Job. 32:4; Prov. 29:19; Eccl. 5:6; 10:14 in HMT-W4

Thx

D

That works if I am looking for a prefix, but if I am looking for a suffix it doesn't i.e. יהו*= returns 0 results.

True - the = will break this here because we aren't specifying the vowels. Dropping the equals I get hits. - 843 hits in 653 vs.

post-32023-0-43694800-1538535124_thumb.jpg

Thx

D

• Like 1

That works if I am looking for a prefix, but if I am looking for a suffix it doesn't i.e. יהו*= returns 0 results.

Note: Even when using a prefix, I am finding that most matches are not returned. For example *יהו= does not return יהושע

Edited by miketisdell

True - the = will break this here because we aren't specifying the vowels. Dropping the equals I get hits. - 843 hits in 653 vs.

attachicon.gifsc.jpg

Dropping the = works, Thanks!

Note: I the equals is automatically added when you enter in the popup box.

Also, when you re-open the popup box, the last search is not shown in the box i.e. the box is completely empty. This makes it difficult to modify a search that was already performed.

Ok so if you have the checkbox "Use exact form" checked then you get the equals.

The thing about the current value going away is a bit of a pain. I probably complained about it at one point.

But you don't need to pop up the to modify the search string unless you are making use of the lookup for inflected forms. You can just click in the word in the INFLECT item and type there directly.

Thx
D

• Like 1