John Gill's Exposition on the Entire Bible

TYA

It would be great to have John Gill's Exposition on the Entire Bible in Accordance.  It is public domain, and in other programs, such a e-Sword.  I've seen some of his other writings for sale in Accordance, but not his verse-by-verse commentary.  The latter is what I'm referring to here.  Thank you.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 4

Paul, wonderful!  Thank you so much.

Would you happen to know (or others, feel free to chime in) if I were to download and install all these various modules that are available, does Accordance give the option to "hide" certain modules that I don't want showing up everytime I do a search?

For example, say I install the Qu'ran in English, but I don't want it showing up every time I search a word in "All texts."  Can I hide it away somehow?

• Like 1

[All Texts] is, by definition, always going to be [All Texts].  If you only want to search a subset, you can select as many individual items you like and place them in a My Group at the bottom of the Library.  So, you could make one 'Texts of Interests' or similar that has everything but the Qu'ran and others.

Thanks, Joel.  Understood.

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on my question here, how do the items at http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/tools.htmwork in Accordance?  Are they User Tools?  And specifically, if I use the Research -> All function, will (say) John Gill's Exposition appear under the "Commentary" heading in the search results, or will there be a separate section created called "User Tools?"

Thank you.

• Like 1

Once you open it it should automatically load into user tools, but you it can drag it to any folder in your library. i.e commentaries. You can also add it to any user group and do your normal searches including 'research all'.  It compliments accordance perfectly.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Being a user tool it unfortunately will not show up in the info pane hopefully we can get broader options to make user tools as a commentary because there are numerous times that this would be helpful.

-dan

• Like 2

Thanks, Paul.  As long as it will appear when I do "Research -> All."

As to Dan's remark, I agree that greater functionality is always better.  I just don't use the Info pane, as of now.

Thanks both.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I'm disappointed to report that after using John Gill's Exposition as a User Tool for almost a year, there are several holes with missing information.  Here is one such example (see attached).  I'd really like to have this properly done as a module, as Gill is perhaps one of the greatest Hebraicists and "Rabbinicists" of all time.

I am grateful for the User Tool, but want reliable information all the same.

Also, let me chip in a request for Rabbi Isaac Leeser's works.

post-35231-0-19552800-1565245683_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

TYA, you could write to the person who made the original user tool to see if they could do an upgrade.  It will be invaluable to them if you already have a list of known omissions.  It means they can go directly to those spaces and fill in the blanks.  If you are working through the module systematically, you could work in collaboration with each other. It would definitely be worth dropping them a private message via the forum.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 2

This is true, Paul, and on one hand, a very good suggestion.  But I haven't systematically documented those "holes," and even if I had, the existence of the one's I found only implies that there are even more.  This is why having it professionally done may be best.  Accordance already has Gill's other works.  I'm surprised that his Exposition on the Bible--his magnum opus--wouldn't have been included in one of the "Classic Groups."

• Like 2

Yes, I definitely prefer the official modules... Hopefully, it'll get pickup one day.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Accordance, 

I am so greatful for the amazing work you do in providing resources to further God's glory.  Would it be possible to get John Gill's Exposition on the Entire Bible.  I read the requests and agree that having this professionally done would be an amazing benefit to Accordance.  I usually read Gill every day along side my personal worship and find him to excellent in all his expositions.  Still amazed he wrote a commentary on every verse of the O.T. and N.T., is the only one to have done so to date.  Thanks, 

Garrell 

• Like 2

Yes, I definitely prefer the official modules... Hopefully, it'll get pickup one day.

Me too.

• Like 3

I'm looking for a complete, clean copy in the public domain. If anyone finds one, please let me know.

• Like 6

Hi 

I originally did the user tool for Gill. There is an entry for Matt 26:61 however if you search for it it does not find it. This seems to be an issue with user tools themselves. Now user tools may have been improved since I created it but the searching on large tools, at least at that time, leaves a lot to be desired. It does not seem to work correctly after a certain point. So it you search for Matt 26 it will work up until Matt 26:26 but after that any hits it finds are wrong. The only solution is to 'manually' go there.

• Like 3

I'll take a look at that Steve.

• Like 4

Steve, a tremendous thanks to you for doing the user tool.  I doubt the omissions are any fault of yours.  You have provided a tremendously valuable asset.  Thank you so much.

• Like 3

Steve, a tremendous thanks to you for doing the user tool.  I doubt the omissions are any fault of yours.  You have provided a tremendously valuable asset.  Thank you so much.

I agree, this is the best of all Gill's I've seen.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for looking at this.  I absolutely enjoy reading Gill and love the efforts of this forum to address requests. 

For the Glory of the Lord, 

Garrell

• Like 1

Mark, have you got the text from the original upload? The one that originated the user module. I think we can check for the inconsistencies using Regexforaccordance. I still think it works. If you don’t get a chance, I’ll have a look next week. I am extremely busy here for the next few days. 

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

I would also like to add my name to the list of folks requesting that this monumental and important work be made available as an official module within Accordance. It would be absolutely fantastic to utilize this as a commentary alongside other Accordance texts and tools.

I frequently reference this Exposition via other platforms. And although the user tool version is nice, the best we currently have, it would be extremely helpful to be able to link, or tie, the Exposition's bible references to other texts, as other commentaries function within Accordance.

This will make accessing desired sections much quicker and easier during study. Also, combining the Old and New Testaments of Gill's work into one module would itself be worth the upgrade to an official module.

Here is a link to the entire Exposition:

https://johngill.thekingsbible.com/

Please and thank you!

I'll add this one to my list. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yes, please add Gills Exposition as an official module in Accordance!  It's absolutely invaluable. The user tools version is better than nothing but not nearly as good as a fully integrated module. 

Thanks!

Edited by Randy Steffens II
  • Like 3