Parsing of ἠγάπα in Genesis 37:3 in LXX+GNT

Ιακοβ

Ἰακὼβ δὲ ἠγάπα τὸν Ἰωσὴφ παρὰ πάντας τοὺς υἱοὺς αὐτοῦ, ὅτι υἱὸς γήρους ἦν αὐτῷ· ἐποίησεν δὲ αὐτῷ χιτῶνα ποικίλον.

Does anyone know why ἠγάπα is first person singular here?

It's not - It's a third singular imperfect. There is no ending in the secondary third sg and the connecting ε ִcontracts with the preceding α leading to this form.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Göttingen Genesis has it parsed in Instant Details as first person, too, just as the LXX+GNT text does (mentioned by original post). Rahlfs has it correctly as third person. A good correction to report.

(Genesis 25:28 has the same parsing issue... and searching on the inflected form shows about a dozen other cases where this could be an issue.)

• Like 2

Ah I see now - I don't actually have that. It's a combined of Swete and GNT. I guess Swete might also be wrong then.

Thx

D

• Like 1

It's not - It's a third singular imperfect. There is no ending in the secondary third sg and the connecting ε ִcontracts with the preceding α leading to this form.

Thanks, That’s why I am asking the question. (Pastor was quoting from this this morning and this little puzzle completely distracted me from the sermon