Handfuls On Purpose

kpang808

Any thoughts on this?

Also, does this show up in the info pane as a commentary type or is it considered a "preaching" category in the library? 

I'm interested in this too. I've read it's quite a nice set, although of a certain age (not always a bad thing). Any comments from those who have it?

A lot of expository outlines some more detailed than others. Here’s a quick sample:

LIFE IN EGYPT.

Exodus 1 and 2.

Egypt, after the death of Joseph, is the type of a world lying in wickedness. Pharaoh, who knew not Joseph, represents the god of this world. The experiences of the children of Israel in Egypt give us a plain, though painful, 114 picture of the experiences of backsliding Christians in the world. It becomes to them the "house of bondage." What a difference from the land of Canaan! "A land which the Lord thy God careth for; the eyes of the Lord thy God are always upon it, from the beginning of the year even unto the end of the year" (Deut. 11:12). Notice their—

I. Sorrowful Position. They were—

1. Friendless. "Joseph died, and all his brethren, and all that generation" (chap. 1:6). Those Christians who abide in the Egypt of this present evil world must sooner or later part with the fellowship of Jesus and the company of His brethren. The arm of flesh failed them when Moses fled (chap. 3:15).

2. Faithless. The tidings of deliverance had been sent, but they believed not (chap. 5:21). It is with great difficulty that backsliders are awakened to a sense of God's forgiving and restoring love. They are slow of heart to believe.

3. Hopeless. "They hearkened not for anguish of spirit" (chap. 6:9). How true all this is of those in the world without Christ (Eph. 2:12). Without faith they are without the Friend; without Him they are without hope; so taken up with the miseries of their condition that they will not hearken to the voice of God's mercy in the Gospel.

II. Bitter Service. They—

1. Served an Enemy. "They built for Pharaoh" (chap. 1:11). They served one who sought their destruction. All their work went to strengthen the hands of their great oppressor, helping the ungodly. That is all we can do as long as we are outside the kingdom of God's dear Son (Matt. 12:30).

2. Served with Severity. "The taskmasters hated them" (chap. 5:13). Theirs was a joyless, thankless work. What a cruel master is the god of this world! What a task to please those who are under his authority! Child of the world, you have a hard taskmaster! All work and no pay.

3. Served in Misery. "The taskmasters afflicted them" (chap. 1:11). Constrained to labour, not by love, but by fear of the oppressor's lash. Poor sinners, struggling to supply your tale of good works, to earn a little peace of mind, you are under a law that cannot reward you with mercy (Rom. 7:13-24).

III. Despairing Cry. It was—

1. Earnest. "Their cry came up unto God" (chap. 2:23). Their very misery helped to work out for them a great deliverance. Grace has gained a victory when the devil's bondslaves have realised that there is no help for them but in God (Psa. 32:3-5).

2. Heard. "God heard their groanings" (chap. 2:24). The eye and the ear of God are quick to see and to hear the movings of the hearts of the oppressed. He is faithful to His promise, "Call upon Me in the day of trouble, and I will deliver you" (Psa. 50:15). The father saw the returning prodigal while yet a great way off (Rom. 10:9-13).

3. Answered. "God looked upon them and knew them" (chap. 2:25, margin). His tender look of love implies His full knowledge of our need. God looked down from Heaven and knew man's real need, so in love He sent His Son. The cry of perishing Israel was fully met with, "I am come down to deliver them" (chap. 3:8). "The Son of Man is come to seek and to save that which was lost" (Luke 19:10).

MOSES' BIRTH AND FAILURE.

Exodus 2:1-15.

Bible characters, like old manuscripts, need close and patient study if the deep and precious teaching of their lives would be understood. Every Old and New Testament saint is the embodiment of some special feature of character which is to be an example or pattern for us (1 Tim. 1:16).

I. His Birth. He was born a "goodly child." He was "exceeding fair"' (Acts 7:20). Miriam and Aaron, his sister and brother, were doubtless very comely in the eyes of their parents; but Moses, the man drawn out for God, was the fairest of all. All God's fair ones are drawn-out ones—out from the hiding-place of darkness and fear, out from the river of death and doom. He was hid by faith and saved by God (Heb. 11:23).

II. His Upbringing. "Pharaoh's daughter said, Take this child and nurse it for me." In the providence of God his mother was chosen for his nurse. The goodly children of God are always well looked after. "All things work together for their good" (Rom. 8:28). By and by he is taken up to the palace; is learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and likely engages in military pursuits. Moses is like the clay in the hands of the potter, a vessel on the wheel of God's unerring providence being prepared and made meet for the Master's use. May we be willing to take on any shape or fashion His love and wisdom may care to impress. Thy will be done on the earth of this poor vessel.

III. His Sympathy. "When Moses was grown he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens." What a sorrowful sight would meet his eyes! They were digging, kneading, moulding, carrying, building, while they sighed, and groaned, and wept. A man will not be 117 much use for God as long as he refuses to go out and look upon the sufferings of the sin-burdened. Nehemiah viewed the walls before the work was began. If the power of the Gospel is to be valued, the awfulness of sin and the helplessness of the sinner must be seen.

IV. His Choice. "He refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God" (Heb. 11:24-26). Having seen his own relationship, and the miseries of his brethren, he takes this bold and decided step for God and His people. It may have cost him many a sleepless night. There was much to be given up, but faith gained the victory. Our sympathy for the oppressed and the perishing is not very deep if it has not led us to a more definite consecration of ourselves to God and His work.

V. His Failure. "He looked this way and that way, and slew the Egyptian. Who made thee a prince and a judge over us?" (vv. 12 and 14). When a man has to look this way and that way before he acts it is clear that he is not yet fit to be used of God. The fear of man still ensnares him. Moses knew that he was called of God to deliver his brethren. "For he supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them, but they understood not" (Acts 7:25). The time was not yet come, the vessel was not yet prepared. He had given himself to God, but this effort was only the energy of the flesh, the impatience of self-will. We have not only to yield to God, but also to wait on Him. God's clock has two hands—His promise and providence. Both are moved by the same will—they always act in harmony.

VI. His Flight. "Moses fled from the face of Pharaoh." How deep and bitter must have been his disappointment after all his agony of soul and decision of purpose Only 118 God is left. All the wisdom of the Egyptians is not enough; he must be taught of God. The withering up of our own self-sufficiency is needful if we would be strong in His might. "Looking this way and that way" is sure to end in fleeing from the face of man. "If any man would serve Me, let him take up his cross and follow Me"

THE CALL OF MOSES.

Exodus 3:1-10.

In the first chapter we see a picture of helpless bondage, in the second, failure and despair; in the third, the Almighty Deliverer appears. The king had died, and the darkness of sorrow and oppression was fast thickening over Israel; but God knew where to find a man suited for His gracious purpose of deliverance. Moses is now eighty years old, but he is not too old for God; he is more fit for His work now that he has been bleached in the wilderness for forty years. It takes a good deal to dry up the old, sinful sap of self that is within us. Moses had attempted to save his brethren, but failed. Now he receives the call of God for the work. He went unsent; now God sends him. In this portion we have—

I. A Startling Manifestation. "The angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush." "This great light." The flame of fire was the symbol of God's presence.

1. It Signified Purity. "Our God is, a consuming fire" (Heb. 12:29). "Who shall dwell with devouring fire? Who shall abide with everlasting burnings?" (Isa. 33:14). Only the pure in heart. The presence of God in the soul devours the unclean desire of the heart." Be ye holy, for I am holy" (1 Peter 1:16).

2. It Signified Power "The bush burned with fire." When the Holy Ghost came down to empower the disciples 119 He came in the likeness of tongues of fire. If we are made partakers of the divine nature we are made partakers of an Almighty power.

3. It Signified Mystery. "And the bush was not consumed." The holy, consuming presence was there, yet the bush was preserved. What a symbol of God in Christ! Great is the mystery of godliness—God manifest in the flesh. What a picture of the believer! We have this treasure in earthen vessels. God dwelleth in you.

II. A Timely Resolution. "Moses said, I will now turn aside and see this great sight."

1. This Turning Aside was Needed. Think of what he would have missed if he had heedlessly passed on. To meet with God, and be taught of Him, man has often to turn aside, even from his lawful occupation, but especially from the pleasures of sin and the reasonings of a carnal mind. When you see a new light burning in the bush of God's providence, or in a text of His Word, turn aside and seek to know the full meaning of it.

2. He Turned Aside with a Purpose. "I will now turn aside and see why the bush is not burned." Perhaps he stood for a time wondering if he would turn aside, but now his mind is made up, "I will seek it out." "Ye shall find Me when ye shall search for Me with all your heart." "My people doth not consider."

3. In Turning Aside He Heard God's Voice. "When the Lord saw that he turned aside, He called unto him." A man soon finds God when he leaves all to seek Him. The voice of God is soon heard in the soul when we have yielded to His invitation. God saw that he turned, and immediately He manifested His presence. God sees every turn we take, whether it is to Him or from Him, and He acts accordingly.

III. A Gracious Revelation. In turning aside Moses was turning to God; in turning to God he received—

1. A Revelation of His Character. "I am the God of thy fathers." This was a declaration of the eternity of His Name. When a sinner turns aside to see that great sight on Calvary's Cross what a revelation of God is made known to him!

2. A Revelation of His Sympathetic Interest. "I have surely seen the affliction, and have heard their cry, for I know their sorrows." God knew the sorrows, and heard the cry of a groaning world. In answer, out of His own bosom He sent His Son. Herein is love. Christ is the revelation of the love of God.

3. A Revelation of His Saving Purpose. "I am come down to deliver." God came down into the bush to save His people through His servant Moses God has come down in Christ to save through the Gospel. This was a twofold deliverance: 1, To bring them out; 2, To bring them in Out of Egypt into Canaan; out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of God's dear Son. To accomplish this great salvation our gracious God had to humble Himself; He had to come down. "Obedient unto death" (Phil. 2:8).

IV. A Definite Commission. "Come now, and I will send thee." The revelation of God always precedes a commission by God. The coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost meant not only power to the disciples, but also a fuller revelation of the glory of Jesus. Then they went forth.

1. The Time. "Come now." Now that ye have failed in your own strength; now that ye have been brought very low during these forty years, waiting in the wilderness; now that ye have had a new and fuller vision of Myself, now that ye know the desire of My heart concerning the people.

2. The Purpose. "Bring forth My people." "They are in bondage and misery, but they are Mine. Bring them forth by declaring My will and Word to them." "Preach the Gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15). He willeth not the death of any. He is to-day, through His sent ones, calling out a people for His Name.

3. The Authority. "I will send thee." In chapter 2:12 we see him going in his own name; now he has the authority and the power of God. Moses got his Pentecost at the burning bush—his power for service. Have you received this authority? There must be a yielding to His call before He sends forth in His Name. "Come, and I will send thee."

I have the WS version. I’m sure the Accordance version looks nicer, but I paid way less than the current sales price. It was almost given away to me. For the purpose I need it, my WS Edition is just fine.

Edited by Diatheke76