French proper noun capitalization errors

Ronelh

I work quite a bit with French since I live in a French-speaking country.  I especially use the French LSG version a lot.  I've noticed a capitalization issue throughout the electronic version in Accordance.  Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying all the same.

Bear with me a moment while I explain, since not everyone on here knows French. :)   In French, certain words like "de" and "le" and "la" are normally contracted when followed by a noun that begins with a vowel.  So "le + amour" becomes "l'amour".  This also applies to proper nouns like "Ammon".  But the capitalization doesn't change, so de + Ammon is spelled "d'Ammon", not "D'ammon" (unless it is at the beginning of a sentence, in which case it would be "D'Ammon").  Does that make sense?

The problem is that in the electronic version of the LSG version in Accordance, the capitalization is always shifted to the wrong letter.  I will copy and paste a few just from the chapter I'm currently studying, Zephaniah chapter 2:

• le Dieu D’israël - should be le Dieu d’Israël
  • L’eternel [the French translation of YHWH] - should be l’Eternel
  • D’ammon - should be d’Ammon
  • D’askalon - should be d’Askalon

I think that is enough examples to illustrate my point.  I've no idea how this happened, if it was an overzealous auto-correct that did it, or if someone just typed them wrong, or what.  But is it something that could be corrected?

Thank you!

• Like 2

Hopefully the LSG with Strongs comes to Accordance. Hopefully the auto-corrected bugs are then also corrected. So please OakTree add the LSG with Strong's too. Even if https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/7374-french-tagged-texts/?p=119443, but please acquire it anyway and also the NEG 79 with Strong's like BW has.

And yes I have seen your point too.

Greetings

Fabian

Good point Ronelh. I haven't really used the LSG in Accordance. My go-to version in French is the Second révisée which is much more up to date (although it too is starting to show its age in terms of contemporary French). I have it permanently opened in Accordance and use it there daily, for personal Scripture reading, teaching, research and articles. I occasionally find problems with it but from reading your post, it sounds like it's much more dependable than the LSG. You may find it worthwhile investing a few kopeks in it. 

It's true that the errors you mention are grossières, and should definitely be corrected, all the more so since the LSG is the one French version that comes installed in the base package, if I'm not mistaken. 

Et un grand merci pour la leçon de français !  :D

Cordialement,

DC

Edited by Donald Cobb

I work quite a bit with French since I live in a French-speaking country.  I especially use the French LSG version a lot.  I've noticed a capitalization issue throughout the electronic version in Accordance.  Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying all the same.

Bear with me a moment while I explain, since not everyone on here knows French. :)   In French, certain words like "de" and "le" and "la" are normally contracted when followed by a noun that begins with a vowel.  So "le + amour" becomes "l'amour".  This also applies to proper nouns like "Ammon".  But the capitalization doesn't change, so de + Ammon is spelled "d'Ammon", not "D'ammon" (unless it is at the beginning of a sentence, in which case it would be "D'Ammon").  Does that make sense?

The problem is that in the electronic version of the LSG version in Accordance, the capitalization is always shifted to the wrong letter.  I will copy and paste a few just from the chapter I'm currently studying, Zephaniah chapter 2:

• le Dieu D’israël - should be le Dieu d’Israël
  • L’eternel [the French translation of YHWH] - should be l’Eternel
  • D’ammon - should be d’Ammon
  • D’askalon - should be d’Askalon

I think that is enough examples to illustrate my point.  I've no idea how this happened, if it was an overzealous auto-correct that did it, or if someone just typed them wrong, or what.  But is it something that could be corrected?

Thank you!

The source probably contained the errors. If there is a definite pattern that we can search for, then we can probably make the corrections programmatically. Otherwise, we would have to find another source text and re-develop it. 

Can you send a detailed description (like above) to corrections@accordancebible.com?

Thank for the feedback.

We've just released version 1.1 of LSG that fixes this issue. 

• Like 2

• Like 2

Whoosh! So fast!  

Yes and next time with Strong's?

Greetings

Fabian

Woah! Fantastic. Or should I say, "fantastique" ? 

• Like 1

Good point Ronelh. I haven't really used the LSG in Accordance. My go-to version in French is the Second révisée which is much more up to date (although it too is starting to show its age in terms of contemporary French). I have it permanently opened in Accordance and use it there daily, for personal Scripture reading, teaching, research and articles. I occasionally find problems with it but from reading your post, it sounds like it's much more dependable than the LSG. You may find it worthwhile investing a few kopeks in it. 

It's true that the errors you mention are grossières, and should definitely be corrected, all the more so since the LSG is the one French version that comes installed in the base package, if I'm not mistaken. 

Et un grand merci pour la leçon de français !  :D

Cordialement,

DC

I definitely intend to get the Revisée (aka Colombe) for Accordance at some point.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet, since I'm still transitioning to Accordance and actually still have the Revisée (and other French versions) on other Bible software programs.  It is a good version, and it is one I do use a lot.  Sadly, it is not very commonly used here.  At least not yet.

The problems I was addressing are actually not with the LSG itself, just with the electronic version on Accordance.  The printed LSG text doesn't have this capitalization issue.

That was very fast!  I guess I won't need to send that email to corrections@accordancebible.com then. :)

Edited by Ronelh