Question about Big Kittel and Thayer's

Jarem08

Good afternoon all, I am wanting to reach out as a new user and a new member on this board to ask about a feature that would be very beneficial. 

I am coming over from E-Sword. I love E-Sword but the depth of material I needed finally has pushed me to go to something bigger. On my E-Sword, I have a Thayer-KJV resource. 

It is the standard Thayer's but at the end of a Greek Word it has a notation like this - TDNT: 6:250, 134. 

I am sure you know it references the 6th volume in the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament page 250. If you have the Abridged version it is page 134. 

On my system I have the abridged version. However, on my bookshelf I have the full 10 volume. Is there a way to get this form of references put into the Thayer we have? This would help a lot of people to find the Greek Word in question very quickly. 

Is this something that can be done or is there a resource that already has it? Thank you for the help. 

While this is a good suggestion, Live Click will look the Greek word up in all your lexicons simultaneously. If you are working with an English text, Live Click will do so if set the "Key number" (or press the shift key to switch it temporary from searching for the translated word). If you are looking for a verse reference, click the verse reference, then switch the search group to [Greek Lexicons]

Enjoy the power of Accordance!

Thank you for the info. I do see the Live Click. I clicked on a verse and it pulled up the entire record of all my Scriptures. However, I cannot seem to find how to make it look up my Lexicons. Am I missing something in the settings? 

ETA: I think I figured it out on accident. I double click the WORD I am looking for and not the verse. Clever. 

Edited by Jarem08

How in the world did Thayer get TDNT references? Did someone find a flux capacitor? 

• Like 1

Good morning. I was out all day yesterday and was also absent after 2 on Wednesday. 

I had found the live click to be very powerful! I am working on an Exegesis paper right now and that tool has become one of my favorites to this point! 

I have spent 10 minutes trying to upload an image. I have a screenshot of my Thayer reference but cannot get it up. So, I will show what I see based on the download itself. 

If you go http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-downloads/file/7356-thayer%E2%80%99s-greek-definitions-with-kjv-analysis/, a Screenshot will show what you would get if you download that work. 

You will see the definition, Part of Speech, Related Word

Right under that is the "Citing in TDNT: 3:139, 334". 

This says that word is found in Volume 3, page 139 (in the Big Kittle or the full 10 volume series) and Page 334 in the small kittle which I also have in my files. 

That reference is what I am looking for so I can jump right to it in my hard copies. 

Thanks again all. So far, I am loving this software. Uploading it now to my laptop as well  :D !

• Like 1

So just to understand your circumstances you would like the “Kittel” references in the e-sword version of Thayer to be replicated in the Accordance version of Thayer so that you can quickly lookup the reference in your hard copy of “Big Kittel”?

If this is the case then your best bet would be to:

a. Purchase an electronic copy of “Big Kittel” and use the live click functionality of Accordance to go straight from a highlighted word to the entry (see the product page here https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=TDNT%20Complete)

b. Purchase an electronic copy of the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis which has citations for TDNT in the bibliography of each entry (see the product page here https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=NIDNTTE)

NIDNTTE would be a nice complement to TDNT though at the moment they are the same price. If you are a student you may want to look at whether you are eligable for Accordance’s very generous discounts. You could also consider selling your hard copy to help fund the cost of purchase. Both tools have come up on sale in the past year. I think it would be unlikely the Accordance would add the citations to Thayer.

• Like 1

So just to understand your circumstances you would like the “Kittel” references in the e-sword version of Thayer to be replicated in the Accordance version of Thayer so that you can quickly lookup the reference in your hard copy of “Big Kittel”?

If this is the case then your best bet would be to:

a. Purchase an electronic copy of “Big Kittel” and use the live click functionality of Accordance to go straight from a highlighted word to the entry (see the product page here https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=TDNT%20Complete)

b. Purchase an electronic copy of the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis which has citations for TDNT in the bibliography of each entry (see the product page here https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=NIDNTTE)

NIDNTTE would be a nice complement to TDNT though at the moment they are the same price. If you are a student you may want to look at whether you are eligable for Accordance’s very generous discounts. You could also consider selling your hard copy to help fund the cost of purchase. Both tools have come up on sale in the past year. I think it would be unlikely the Accordance would add the citations to Thayer.

Yes. Having that references would be great. 

I will look at the references you mention. I am going to start adding to my library as I see my need. I am still playing with my system and learning more and more. It is deeper than I thought but does not seem too hard to grasp. 

Thank you for the advice.