Importing User File - Import Duration

TYA

Great day all,

I'm just curious why it takes 7-10 minutes to import an English Bible (Gen-Rev).  In other competitive software's (meaning that search functionality is similarly powerful), I can import this exact same text in roughly 30 seconds.  (I'm asking because I update this text frequently, and re-import it).

No exaggeration, but in Accordance it takes 7-10 minutes to import.  It works wonderful once imported (though my Hebrew text ones don't, and I posted separately about that), but it just seems to take a long time.  Can someone explain why?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Is this the P-KAHB text you sent me before, or some other text?

If it's a different text, can you send me a copy of the file so that I can test import speed?  I believe you already have my email address.  As far as I'm aware, no text import should ever take that long, even on a slow machine.

Dear Silas,

When I wrote above, "...(though my Hebrew text ones don't, and I posted separately about that)..." that was indeed an allusion to the P-KAHB that we discussed privately recently.  I hadn't heard back from anyone on that.

And if I may, real quick on that note, I mainly only ventured into importing unicode Hebrew-letter texts in Accordance primarily because Accordance doesn't yet allow the "Peshitta OT-tagged" to cross-search with other Hebrew-letter resources.  Please, even if you have to make an untagged version of it, changing the letters from the current Estrangela (cursive Syriac) font in the "Peshitta OT-tagged" to Hebrew letters wouldn't take but a few minutes, since it is precisely the same alphabet, just a different script).  I've done it myself.  Then, just code it to be cross-searchable with all Hebrew-letter resources, including targums (which are also Aramaic), Talmud, Hebrew Bible, etc.  Please, please do that.  It is actually one of the most ancient and reliable versions of the Tanakh text (hundreds of years older than the Hebrew Masoretic Text), and is highly overlooked.  It shares a considerable wordstock with the Hebrew Bible, targums, and Talmud, and therefore, really should be cross-searchable for lexical analysis with those other versions.  I'd greatly appreciate that.  (Ok, that was a module request, I know.  But I feel it needed to be heard again.)

What I was referring to above about 7-10 minutes to import was just a simple Gen-Rev English text, and actually, I've imported nearly a dozen English texts now.  They all behave the same way, so it isn't the module itself.  And my computer is quite fast (Win7-64bit; Intel Core I5 (~4core@2.4GHz) with 8GB RAM).

Anyway, like I said, it imports much faster in other programs.  It's not that big of a deal, but just thought I'd ask why it takes that long.  I don't want to send you into research mode over this issue.  I'd much, much rather have the "Peshitta OT" in cross-searchable format, even if a new module had to be made that wasn't tagged.  (In that case, the new module could be used in parallel with the current tagged text anyways).

Thanks Silas.  You are a blessing.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1