First Line of Paragraph in Texts

Randy Cue

I believe I have made this request before, but I think it bears repeating. I would like to see the first line of each paragraph indented in texts both on screen and when copied as a citation. This is done with tools and it would be nice to have it with Biblical texts.

Thanks,

Randy

The problem is that different versions and editions of Bibles have different and inconsistent formatting, and for different types of text such as poetry. We try to reproduce the look of the print especially with paragraph view, but it's impossible to get it right all the time. Adding an indent throughout would further complicate the formatting.

Helen, I don't mean to be obtuse, but if this is already being done with commentaries and some other tools, why is it so difficult for English Bibles?

I belive (and correct me if I am wrong) this has a lot to do with the digital versions they are licensing. I am not sure how much they can change and how much work they want to do to add such a feature. The amount of time and labor may increase the cost of the module which in turn detracts potential buyers.

This also has to do with copying content and copying formatting.

If you do a copy as citation, I assume that is so you can paste the content of Accordance into some other program e.g a word processor.

Any formatting to Accordance content may/will be lost on paste.

You get the content (Bible passage etc), not the format (e.g indents, leading, margins, font etc).

Every program could handle formatting differently, encoding it differently within the program's native document format. TXT is not RTF is not DOC is not QXP etc.

That's why you should do all your formatting in your word processor.

You can make it easier by adopting the use of style sheets if your word processor supports these.

This also has to do with copying content and copying formatting.

If you do a copy as citation, I assume that is so you can paste the content of Accordance into some other program e.g a word processor.

Any formatting to Accordance content may/will be lost on paste.

You get the content (Bible passage etc), not the format (e.g indents, leading, margins, font etc).

Every program could handle formatting differently, encoding it differently within the program's native document format. TXT is not RTF is not DOC is not QXP etc.

That's why you should do all your formatting in your word processor.

You can make it easier by adopting the use of style sheets if your word processor supports these.

While that may be true, that does not answer the question why Accordance does first line indent in commentaries and not in English Bibles. All of the word processors I have used paste Accordance formatting just as it is.