• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,289 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies & backgrounds; Early Church writings; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; exploring in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

this review by The Verge of the ipad pro is trending on youtube right now.  people seem to be saying it's the best review so far.

New iPad Pro review: can it replace your laptop?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LykS0TRSHLY

general thought seems to be that while the hardware is good, the limitations of ios and ones that apple puts on it makes it less than what it could truly be.  if it had macOS then it would be a different story.  but, of course, apple giving us what we want? we can dream...

That’s a really good video. 

I don’t believe Apple will ever give us a touchscreen Mac because iOS offers offers a clean break with legacy issues of macOS.

But I do believe iOS will continue to improve until it can finally make macOS unnecessary. Addition of an extended desktop and USB-C are significant improvements in this direction, as are the preview of professional apps like PhotoShop (although Affinity Photo already does a lot of what was demoed in PS). To borrow a biblical image, these are all “birth pangs” of the end for macOS. When you see Apple release Xcode and Final Cut Pro for iOS (the two prophets of the apocalypse), you know the end of macOS is at hand.

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#22 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:01 AM

Im looking forward to the day when they show us a photo of rack after rack of ipads, similar to the one of mini macs they showed this time (even better one of iphones)!!!!!!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser, 06 November 2018 - 11:02 AM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#23 Joe

Joe

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:18 PM

The problems with Accordance on iOS are not all tied to iOS. As Helen pointed out, porting over the codebase would be a massive feat. I've done programming (mostly for the web and network admin type stuff) and can appreciate this daunting task.

But, Instead of focussing on stuff I don't use, Papers, I'd rather them focus on bringing more features to iOS. Of course since MY experience and use of accordance is all that matters, I want them to listen to MY feedback. Some sarcasm is intended.

• Alistair likes this

#24 Mark Allison

Mark Allison

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,349 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:19 PM

I can promise you that feature parity is really important to us. I can't promise when we'll get there.

• R. Mansfield, revtim, Daniel Francis and 2 others like this

#25 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Interests:scripture study, preaching, teaching

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

I can promise you that feature parity is really important to us. I can't promise when we'll get there.

:o

Michael
Accordance on Macintosh, iPhone, and iPad

#26 Garye

Garye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:10 PM

Wow. Thanks for this, very helpful.

#27 JayDee

JayDee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

Maybe we can talk about usefulness of the iPad for a pastor in a more general way:

The bigger screen on the new 11' is quite nice. And Accordance is automatically using the full space - better for my eyes (im still young). Its not cheap but worth the upgrade - having it now for half a day.

I also believe the 12,9 size (as big as a DIN A4 paper) could be a good mobile tablet for preaching etc. Im using the iPad in classes there's a good  app called teacher tool made for the german school system with grade management and seating plan etc. (But teaching religion in the school isn't a thing for most pastors in the usa, or is it?)

For Accordance purposes: the 120Hz butter smooth scrolling is very nice (the pro 10,5 from last year does also have this feature).

-> more good features from the Mac version would be really cool - having your library directly in your hand is fantastic..)

Im also using readdle's pdf reader for forms (funerals/baptizes etc.) - one year ago they had to be in paper with through-printing.. now the digitalisation even comes to Germany... (and Apple Pay.. future is coming :D and boy the germans do love their cash)

• R. Mansfield likes this
JD.

Mobile running on iPad Pro 11; iP8.
Desktop running on rMBP 15" and iMac 27".

#28 Joe

Joe

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

Maybe we can talk about usefulness of the iPad for a pastor in a more general way:

The bigger screen on the new 11' is quite nice. And Accordance is automatically using the full space - better for my eyes (im still young). Its not cheap but worth the upgrade - having it now for half a day.

Can confirm that this is very nice. And actually, Accordance is not yet using all of the screen real estate. It fills most of the screen, but not all. But that is actually much better than many apps that have wider bars on the side in landscape. I suspect they just have to do very little to get it to take full advantage of the new screen layout.
  • R. Mansfield likes this

#29 JayDee

JayDee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

Can confirm that this is very nice. And actually, Accordance is not yet using all of the screen real estate. It fills most of the screen, but not all. But that is actually much better than many apps that have wider bars on the side in landscape. I suspect they just have to do very little to get it to take full advantage of the new screen layout.

Do you mean the small top and down black labels for the Time and the Dock Indikator line? In the Width accordance is using all. So everything is quite nice.

Attached Files

JD.

Mobile running on iPad Pro 11; iP8.
Desktop running on rMBP 15" and iMac 27".

#30 Alex H.

Alex H.

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:03 AM

IMHO, Accordance iOS is inadequate as anything more than a Bible reader and light reference lookup. There's a long time mobile Bible app out there that doesn't have a patch on Accordance desktop but walks all over Acc iOS, but don't get me started on that topic.

I'd love to go all in on iPad as I use it extensively in my bivo job. I don't want to go Windows as they don't have the same form factor - had a look at the 13" iPad today and it's amazing.

• Garye likes this

www.alexhuggett.me

#31 christopherchelpka

christopherchelpka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:45 PM

I am a pastor and wrote on this topic recently. See: https://christopherc...an-an-ipad.html

I have been using Accordance a long time, on both platforms, and hope to write and Accordance-specific follow-up soon. Ask me your specific questions. I’ll try to answer them in my post.
  • Fabian and Garye like this

#32 Garye

Garye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:33 AM

Ok update here. Have been trialling iPad only for a couple of weeks.

FWIW my context is leading staff team of 8, three congregations, a campus ministry. So I guess quite wide ranging, but having staff means some tasks I never see (my device doesn’t have to handle everything the church throws up).

The short version is, my 10.5 pro, while a really nice bit of gear, is just not big enough for laptop replacement for me. Not being able to have two full sized apps on a split is limiting. Now with the 12.9 (just arrived), I can do 2 full apps at a time, swipe more easily between several split screens and generally have a good work flow. It’s working great so far, not missing mb pro yet.

This wouldn’t work as well if:
- we hadn’t just rolled over the lease on the photocopier/printer, getting wireless printing for the first time. Makes things much easier just printing from anywhere from the iPad.
- I wasn’t all iCloud. I’m a slave to apple :). All my files being there makes it easier.

For preaching:
- Down side of the 12.9 is that it does feel a bit intrusive to hold in preaching teaching situations. Not too heavy, and I think I’ll get used to it. I do usually just leave it on the lecturn in church
- Upside is GoodReader and a bible app could share the creed and still both be a good size. Possibilities :)

More to come if people interested.
  • Rich likes this

#33 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:39 AM

I do usually just leave it on the lecturn in church

You could always "Borrow" (nick) a music stand from your music group!!!!!
Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#34 danielamari

danielamari

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin, Arabic, German, Syriac, Textual Criticism, Manuscripts, Early Church Fathers, ANE, Anything Arabic and Islamic (Arabic Hadith, Sira, History, and Tafsir), History, Archaeology, Inscriptions, Accordance for the iPad.
  • Platforms:iOS

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:56 PM

I use Accordance on the ipad almost exclusively for research, especially with ancient texts in Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin and Arabic. I expect that many would eventually want to move to the ipad or have already moved. The app on the iphone is adequate. But i do my serious work on the ipad. Accordance app has improved over time, and I feel that the accordance team realize the growing importance of the ipad, and the importance of offering a professional and advanced one.

No question asked there is some limitation on the iOS. But i expect that the various limitations will continue to be addressed by Apple. At the same time, i do not expect that all feature of Accordance on windows/mac to be ported. In fact, not all of them should. They are made for the laptop in mind. Accordance product team needs to focus instead, and they probably already are, on how to make a very professional app for the ipad with its own exclusive features that utilize the ipad workflow. The following are some examples:

1) The ipad user is probably utilizing Microsoft Office to write sermon, articles, books, so on and so forth.
2) The user utilizes cloud storage such as onedrive or others.
3) Content creation is growing and will become significant starting from 2019.
4) for serious users, physical keyboards is attached to the ipad.

Some enhancements needed:

A) As previously and eloquently stated, the ability to view two windows of two separate text can be very helpful. Especially for those who have the 12.9” ipad. This is a feature that cannot and must be supported by the iphone.
B) Again as previously stated, the ability to switch quickly and easily between dictionaries can be extremely helpful

Having said this, I am very thankful to the Accordance team. I am looking forward to the new changes in the Accordance App.

#35 Garye

Garye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:47 AM

You could always "Borrow" (nick) a music stand from your music group!!!!!

Actually that’s all I preach from, just an old music stand. My ‘lecturn’.

Also by sharing ‘creed’ I obviously meant sharing ‘screen’!

#36 Joe

Joe

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:01 AM

Do you mean the small top and down black labels for the Time and the Dock Indikator line? In the Width accordance is using all. So everything is quite nice.

Yes, ghost black bars are what I’m talking about. If you do a spli view with an app that is fully compatible with the new iPad Pros the other app will be scaled back to using black bars as well. It’s admittedly a very minor problem. But, it drives me a little batty since accordance is built to not have black bars on iPhone X.

#37 Garye

Garye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:01 PM

To affirm Daniel above that there will be plenty of people using iPads as primary device: it’s been 4 weeks since I went ‘iPad only’, after 16 years in OS X. I’ve learnt lots of tricks for iOS, and except for accordance I feel no qualms about ditching my Mb pro. One device means simplicity and a big saving for me.
  • Rich and ukfraser like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users