Pastor going iPad only?

Garye

Are you guys content with the current status of the Accordance for ipad for being primarily a consumer software (software for reading the text and commentaries) and relegating all advanced search and research functions to the laptop? Or are you clearly asking that Accordance port all necessary features to the accordance app so that there is truly no need to use the laptop at all?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is a resounding yes. It's not just the number of users; it's that face that many of the most passionate users on the forums plus employees at Accordance use iPads. I prefer a Mac for study kind of reading, but for just sitting back and reading through a book, a commentary intro, a long article in a journal or dictionary, studying grammars on the bus, taking electronic texts to church... my iPad has had a substantial impact how much value I get out of my Accordance library. I couldn't go iPad only, but I wouldn't want to go without it either.

I for one, use my iPad for reading (commentaries, books, etc.), preaching from, and light searching with maybe looking something up in a Sunday school class. I will say though, that I would love to see Accordance continue to add features to the iOS app and I am sure that is what their plan is.

• Like 2

Are you guys content with the current status of the Accordance for ipad for being primarily a consumer software (software for reading the text and commentaries) and relegating all advanced search and research functions to the laptop? Or are you clearly asking that Accordance port all necessary features to the accordance app so that there is truly no need to use the laptop at all?

I don't desire to do heavy research on my iPad, but I really would like to do much more on my iPad than the current Accordance currently allows.  I don't necessarily want a laptop replacement at this point, although I would welcome it — I just need more functionality than what is available today.

• Like 1

I was brought up studying using books and the ipad is a game changer.

If you want a tablet to do everything consider a ms surface but in the past i have found them to be heavy and not something comfortable to handle for long periods. Not sure about the latest versions.

my mbp has a 15" screen and is duelled with a calibrated 21" graphic monitor so have plenty of real estate for serious working.

i like the convenience of my 9.7" 1st gen pro (and the gen 2 it replaced) and dont desperately want to be forced to upgrade to a larger physical item and separate keyboard. I might just as well have an air or something.
yes it would be great to have more features on the ipad, i can think of analytics, linking greek and hebrew texts or ot with nt wbc as well as stacks and info pane but these have only relatively recently hit the full fat version. But my mbp doesnt have touchscreen and this on ipad is an added value.

accordance are working on the app and im looking forward to both the next interim release and full version release. but they are also supporting 4 platforms and i guess the full operating systems are still the main focus as that is probably where the majority of users are. 

but this thread has made me think about my journey with ios where i Bought an app from one of the two major music recording providers who released an upgrade and broke it and we were 2 years without usable software so forced me to look for an alternative. And while we have an upgrade to make it work, they have stopped developing it and they dont respond to questions on their forum. Another piece of notation software i bought from another major player has not been supported and had to be deleted after the last ios upgrade.

i also foolishly bought a specific study bible app from one of the surviving bible software companies which isnt supported and Is pretty unusable and their support team responded but its now been removed from the store.

like others have responded, yes we want more, but we have a very good product which has continued to be developed and is pretty feature rich compared to when it was first released and i can vary my workflow around the various platforms.

but i for one dont understand the limitations of the current ios compared to the full os and i am also very aware that android users are way behind what we have. Plus apple are still developing ios And its a case of catch up and i think certain parts of the app have had to be recoded as the operating system has gone in a different direction from where the app was originally designed to go.

patience is a virtue. I very much appreciate and am enjoying what weve got and seeing that enhanced (and am no longer suffering from rsi!). That doesnt mean i will stop asking for more!

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

Except, I'm not trying to replace my Mac.  You can pry my Mac from my cold, dead, hands!   :D   But, there are times and situations where I just want to have more full features from Accordance in a tablet form factor.  I don't take my Mac to a Bible study, but I do take my iPad.  My MacBook would look pretty silly sitting on lectern of the pulpit, but the iPad does not (and I use my iPad every time I preach).  A laptop in bed is unwieldy but I read books from my iPad in bed often.

I don't need full feature parity with Accordance on my iPad (but it would be wonderful if it did), but I do need more than what is offered now.  This thread is almost two years old.  We are still limited to two panes and a difficult UI that seems to be constrained by its iPhone sibling.  I completely understand the resource struggle in determining what to focus attention, so I'm not complaining per se — but I do hope that a bit more attention is given to the iPad soon. 

Yeah not replacing iPad either. It’d be nice to give apple less money but the use case for Mac/iPad/phone is too solid. Replying from iPad...

i have been using iPad only for three years. When I try to use Accordance on MBP, I think the screen is too big and too distractive. I would like to do my research on iPad. 

I use Accordance on iPad for 90% of all my bible reading, study, etc. I would probably go to 95-99% if they had better multitasking.

I hate reading about something taking place and not being able to see the geography without losing my place. I hate doing devotions and not being able to make a note because the daily devotional reading is already two separate tabs. I hate how I’ll be doing my devotions, and something as simple as getting up to refill my coffee cup will auto-scroll back to the very first verse in the Old Testament because the orientation of my screen changed.

Most of all, I really hate being unable to read a bible passage, and then make a note on the fly and have to stop and save it in the middle of complex thought because I cannot see the context of the entire passage. It’s hard to get deep theologically sometimes because I have to keep interrupting my train of thought and deal with frustration. And now the tool that was supposed to make this possible is now the thing that hinders the process. That is extremely frustrating.

• Like 1

I hate doing devotions and not being able to make a note because the daily devotional reading is already two separate tabs. I hate how I’ll be doing my devotions, and something as simple as getting up to refill my coffee cup will auto-scroll back to the very first verse in the Old Testament because the orientation of my screen changed.

Most of all, I really hate being unable to read a bible passage, and then make a note on the fly and have to stop and save it in the middle of complex thought because I cannot see the context of the entire passage.

While you are waiting for these changes (and you sound slightly frustrated) have you considered changing your workflow?

Rather than starting with devotionals, start by copying your daily reading into your bible search, that opens the text in the first pane so you can have an atlas or notes in the second.

If you click on the verse number you can select see in context. I think it will also stop the scrolling when you have the important coffee!

I use the notes in iOS rather than the notes in the app, so as an alternative you can open that as a third pane (i cant remember how to get it up so its not in the screenshot as i still tend to switch between accordance and notes). i have copied the lectionary reading for sunday into the search bar in the screenshot and this is how i start.

i accept it is not how you want to work, but it may help while you wait for the changes you have requested. I have found that devotionals and notes in accordance dont work for me so just using the parts that do and im waiting for stacks but am very happy to have workflows that work for me in the mean time.

post-31185-0-20677300-1602144969_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

While you are waiting for these changes (and you sound slightly frustrated) have you considered changing your workflow?

Rather than starting with devotionals, start by copying your daily reading into your bible search, that opens the text in the first pane so you can have an atlas or notes in the second.

If you click on the verse number you can select see in context. I think it will also stop the scrolling when you have the important coffee!

I use the notes in iOS rather than the notes in the app, so as an alternative you can open that as a third pane (i cant remember how to get it up so its not in the screenshot as i still tend to switch between accordance and notes). i have copied the lectionary reading for sunday into the search bar in the screenshot and this is how i start.

i accept it is not how you want to work, but it may help while you wait for the changes you have requested. I have found that devotionals and notes in accordance dont work for me so just using the parts that do and im waiting for stacks but am very happy to have workflows that work for me in the mean time.

If I come across something that deems worthy of a deeper look, then I switch to landscape mode on my iPad and use iOS notes on the right, and Accordance on the left. But with that much real estate lost on screen, it makes the keyboard cover so much more of the text, plus I do have to take the extra step to copy and paste keep the note synced with accordance.

• 2 years later...
On 11/6/2018 at 9:32 AM, R. Mansfield said:

I do believe iOS will continue to improve until it can finally make macOS unnecessary. Addition of an extended desktop and USB-C are significant improvements in this direction, as are the preview of professional apps like PhotoShop (although Affinity Photo already does a lot of what was demoed in PS). To borrow a biblical image, these are all “birth pangs” of the end for macOS. When you see Apple release Xcode and Final Cut Pro for iOS (the two prophets of the apocalypse), you know the end of macOS is at hand.

Reviving this old discussion. Apple seems to have shifted strategies since I wrote the above. For a while now, they no longer seem to be deprecating the Mac. And Tim Cook hasn't said anything lately about the iPad being the clearest vision Apple has about the future of computing. Nevertheless, it's significant that Apple released Final Cut Pro for iPadOS today. Maybe Xcode for iPadOS will finally be announced at WWDC next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

True. Really wanting to watch this year’s WWDC and see how this goes.

At the moment, I wouldn’t recommend transitioning solely to an iPad to run the Accordance app, as there are enough feature differences between desktop to matter. As we focus more on iPad development though, that will change.

7 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

At the moment, I wouldn’t recommend transitioning solely to an iPad to run the Accordance app, as there are enough feature differences between desktop to matter.

That’s the rub though, isn’t it? It may be a minority still, but there are a significant and growing number of people who want to adopt mobile as their primary computing platform. I prefer my M2 iPad Pro over my MacBook Pro or my iMac in most contexts. In regard to Bible software, I know lots of Bible teachers and preachers who want to do everything from an iPad. It can be done, but it’s still limited. 

I’m not trying to pick on Accordance because a lot of software companies who have made their money on legacy (macOS & Windows) platforms are continuing to make the mistake of seeing mobile an an auxiliary perk to their desktop versions. But people who are serious about using mobile platforms don’t want limited feature sets. They want power and all the features. I’m typing this on my M2 iPad Pro. It’s more powerful than both my M1 MacBook Pro and my Intel-based iMac. But it needs apps that will actually take advantage of that power with full feature sets, not limited apps that feel like an afterthought. 

Edited by R. Mansfield
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Actually I am the one who has been using iPad only for more than 7 years. I used to hope for powerful features will come to Accordance on iPadOS but i lost my hope long ago. 

Especially if the team planned to wait till Android tablet caught up with iPad and iPadOS. I would rather pay for extra to have iPadOS only features. Given that iPad is the most popular tablet in the world and android tablets are way behind

From the beginning, the iOS app was designed to be a companion app to the desktop and there was always some resistance to change that. 

I have no idea if the thinking is now different. 

2 hours ago, Scott Knapp said:

From the beginning, the iOS app was designed to be a companion app to the desktop and there was always some resistance to change that. 

I have no idea if the thinking is now different. 

And I was always pushing from the inside trying to get it to be more than a companion app, but no effort was ever really made in that direction. With the power of today's mobile devices, I believe this is more important than ever. 

• Like 7

Rick, 

Your last two points nailed it!!  Accordance could set the standard of iOS full features.  My hope is that Accordance does set the standard and incorporates all features into iOS.  This would be simply outstanding!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

And I was always pushing from the inside trying to get it to be more than a companion app, but no effort was ever really made in that direction. With the power of today's mobile devices, I believe this is more important than ever. 

It is for sure, and one of our 2023 programming hires is to focus hard on going in this direction.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 4:02 PM, Nathan Parker said:

It is for sure, and one of our 2023 programming hires is to focus hard on going in this direction.

I think at this point it would be so much better to develop a full-powered iPad OS version that was much more than a simple companion app. Yes, that would leave behind some people who are running really old hardware that isn’t iPad OS supported, and it might be slow on some of the older iPads that do run iPad OS. But the gains would be worth it, and vast majority of iPad users update their hardware every so many years anyway. I’d be curious to know what the percentage of supported vs non-supported iPad OS users are in the community.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/models-compatible-with-ipados-17-ipad213a25b2/ipados

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback!

• 4 months later...

I use a M2 iPad Pro as my daily computing device. I am also heavily invested in Accordance as a platform. A more full featured iPadOS app (which I would be willing to pay for as a separate app from the desktop version as long as my resources would carry over) or Accordance cloud would be a game changer. 

Mobile computing is not going away and I hope Accordance can start heading more forcefully in that direction.

Do we have an ETA for Accordance cloud?

I'm hoping to hear something at an upcoming programming meeting, although I may be away and need to be briefed on it post-meeting.

Some of the backend of Cloud may also be able to be adapted into adding functionality to the Mobile apps as well which would also make adding features to both quicker once we get Cloud out the door.