Recycle button not doing its job in Text Browser

TYA

I keep amplifying from an English Bible by right-clicking on a word and selecting "Look Up -> Text Browser" and when the Text Browser window opens, I then turn off the Recycle button.  I go back to my original window with the English Bible, and scroll to another verse, and repeat the process.  This time, when the Text Browser window opens, the first Text Browser window has updated to the newest verse (which I don't want, which is why I turned the Recycle button off).

Are you seeing a tab tie icon on the tab as well as recycle when it first opens. I noticed I am getting that in some cases. Not sure yet why but the result is that as you scroll the text further on to go to the next vs the text browser updates too. Turning that off, if set, as well as turning off the recycle stabilized things.

thx

D

This is working properly for me. Perhaps try opening a new Workspace and seeing if it works in there?

Edited by Mark Allison

The Text Browser is a bit of a different animal, so its important to understand how it handles Recycle and Tying.  Recycling is the choice for which document to reuse/recycle when trying to make a new tab.  This is working correctly on the Text Browser.  However, the Text Browser also ties to a text so that, as you keep scrolling or working with a text, it automatically updates.  If you don't want it to update as you scroll to new verses (whether or not you click on something else!) you'll want to turn off the tying.

• Like 2

Thanx for that Joel.

One comment on tying. If I open the Text Browser from a Research tab via Open -> Text Browser is recycles but does not tie. If I then leave recycling on and amplify from a text to the Text Browser via select vs ref, context menu->Lookup Text Browser it reuses the Text Browser tab I had opened from Research but it does not tie it. If however I turn off recycle on that tab and then amplify from a text to the Text Browser I get a recycled and tied Text Browser tab.

This difference in tying behaviour threw me off a little but I've got it now.

Though interestingly if I reverse the sequence of event and amplify to TB (I have to abbreviate at this point) from a text (getting a tied and recycle tab) and then amplify from Research the tie to the original text tab is not removed. Not sure whether it should be or not but just mentioning it for completeness.

Thx

D

Are you seeing a tab tie icon on the tab as well as recycle when it first opens. I noticed I am getting that in some cases. Not sure yet why but the result is that as you scroll the text further on to go to the next vs the text browser updates too. Turning that off, if set, as well as turning off the recycle stabilized things.

Bingo.  That was the issue.  I was right-clicking on a verse reference in an English Bible -> "Look Up" -> "Text Browser," and then the Text Browser opened with both a tie and recycle activated.

But if this is how this process would behave every time (and apparently, from my little bit of testing, it is), then it would be annoying to have to manually untie and turn off recycle without a setting to make a default.  May I recommend the ability to not have it tie by default, and also (though less crucially), to not have it Recycle by default?

I love this awesome new feature (Text Browser).  Having more options like these mentioned above would potentially accommodate a variety of workflows, since people do things differently.  Thanks all!

Edited by TYA