Resets to Ge. 1:1 when placed in the background

miketisdell

While Reading through Isaiah 14, I was switching between a commentary in Kindle and the Hebrew text in Accordance. When every I switched back to Accordance the text would reset to Ge.1:1

The version is 1.3b3

I have definitely noticed issues like this where the saved state seems to be stale. So you come back to somewhere you were earlier but not to the place you were most recently.

Thx

D

Is this reproducible for you every time or was it more random? Also, how did you navigate to Isaiah 14 (table of contents, search, scroll, arrows, etc.)?

I'm not able to reproduce the problem at the moment. I've been working to fix these sorts of bugs, so it could be that I've fixed the problem already, or it could just be that I'm not following the exact path you took to get to Isaiah 14. The more details you can give me, the more likely I'll be able to reproduce it and then fix it (details like how you got to Isaiah 14, whether it was in single or dual pane, whether you had panes scroll-locked together, etc).

Thanks Mike!

In my experience it's been intermittent and I've been watching for a reproducible case.

Thx

D

Is this reproducible for you every time or was it more random? Also, how did you navigate to Isaiah 14 (table of contents, search, scroll, arrows, etc.)?

I'm not able to reproduce the problem at the moment. I've been working to fix these sorts of bugs, so it could be that I've fixed the problem already, or it could just be that I'm not following the exact path you took to get to Isaiah 14. The more details you can give me, the more likely I'll be able to reproduce it and then fix it (details like how you got to Isaiah 14, whether it was in single or dual pane, whether you had panes scroll-locked together, etc).

Thanks Mike!

It was very consistent while my screen was in single pain mode with the Hebrew text. But stopped doing it when I changed to a split screen mode. I checked again but could not reduplicate it.

I still have not been able to reduplicate it either, but I will keep an eye out for it in testing. If anyone runs across this issue again, please make a note of things like which module you were in, whether it was single or dual pane, whether or not you were running a search, etc. Any of those details may be helpful in finding a solution.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I still have not been able to reduplicate it either, but I will keep an eye out for it in testing. If anyone runs across this issue again, please make a note of things like which module you were in, whether it was single or dual pane, whether or not you were running a search, etc. Any of those details may be helpful in finding a solution.

I just had this happen a minute ago. I was reading Isa. 16 (Hebrew) and then noticed my clock was wrong, I went to settings to set the timezone and when I returned I was back to Gen. 1

I reset to Isa. 16 and then went to post this reply, switching to the Chrome browser to write this post and then when I checked back before posting reply I found that I was again reset to Gen. 1.

Note: I have only noticed this issue when using HMT-W4; however, that is the text that is almost always being used so it may be an issue with other versions, I just have never noticed it with any other version. 

Maybe this will help.

I was going to go to split screen mode to see if it would happen if I had the split screen mode open, and as soon as I entered the split screen I noticed that I immediately went to Ge. 1.1 (without putting the app in the background). At that point I noticed that my search for 'kurios' was still in the search window (I had been using the LXX-GNT), and that when I entered split screen it tried to search for kurios in the HMT-W4 text and could not find it and then set the location to Ge. 1:1. I think this was also what was happening when I put the app into the background and then brought it to the foreground again; however, when I did this I didn't see anything about a failed search and so didn't look to see if the text was still in the window. 

Maybe it would be a good idea to clear the search when the version is changed.

• Like 1

Maybe it would be a good idea to clear the search when the version is changed.

Very helpful. The search should be cleared when the version is changed. I'll look into that one. Thanks!

• Like 1

Very helpful. The search should be cleared when the version is changed. I'll look into that one. Thanks!

I was thinking about this issue this morning and tried putting a Hebrew search (in Hebrew) that failed and then placing the app into the background and returning. The result is that any failed search will cause the app to return to Ge. 1:1 when it is placed in the background and then brought to the foreground! 

I think it might be a good idea to make sure that failed searches get cleared when the app is placed in the background (or not executed again when it is brought to the foreground. Simply clearing the box when a search fails might be a problem because it is very helpful to see the search that failed when trying to construct a new search. Maybe a semaphore could be setup to flag when a search has already executed and cleared when the search button is pressed or a return is hit within the search box.  

• Like 1

One more test: I tried searching for שמע and then going to the last found entry to see if it would re-run a working search and then place me back at the first match when I returned. The results I got were not what I expected!!! I completed the search and scrolled to the last entry and then placed the app into the background, when I returned to the app, the search field had changed back to my last failed search and returned to Ge. 1:1! This likely explains why I see this issue so frequently. 

I did a screen capture of the working search for שמע and when the capture finished the screen changed immediately to my intentionally broken search. (See below)

post-35053-0-29082900-1549548455_thumb.png

post-35053-0-96967600-1549548237_thumb.png

Edited by miketisdell
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike, those are very helpful test points. I'll test those exact cases when I get a chance to fix this bug.

Thanks Mike, those are very helpful test points. I'll test those exact cases when I get a chance to fix this bug.

Note: I just added screen shots to my last post, you may have read it before I edited it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any updates on getting this bug fixed?

This is probably the most frustrating of all the bugs as I switch between Accordance and other software frequently. 

• Like 1

Version 1.4 is very close to being ready for beta, and this bug is on the fix-list for when 1.4 releases (along with new features).

This may be more than you wanted to know, but I'll give a bit of an explanation for the delay. There were a few behind-the-scenes technical changes that were made post- 1.3 that greatly improve the speed and reliability of developing and testing the Android app. A couple of these changes make it extremely time-consuming to revert to the 1.3 set up and then change back to the newer 1.4 environment. Rather than switching back to the 1.3 setup to work on and test this bug fix, and delaying the 1.4 release by a couple weeks or more, I decided to just slate this fix for 1.4. Perhaps more info than you were looking for, but that's why this fix wasn't in a separate 1.3.2 release.

• Like 3

Version 1.4 is very close to being ready for beta, and this bug is on the fix-list for when 1.4 releases (along with new features).

This may be more than you wanted to know, but I'll give a bit of an explanation for the delay. There were a few behind-the-scenes technical changes that were made post- 1.3 that greatly improve the speed and reliability of developing and testing the Android app. A couple of these changes make it extremely time-consuming to revert to the 1.3 set up and then change back to the newer 1.4 environment. Rather than switching back to the 1.3 setup to work on and test this bug fix, and delaying the 1.4 release by a couple weeks or more, I decided to just slate this fix for 1.4. Perhaps more info than you were looking for, but that's why this fix wasn't in a separate 1.3.2 release.

As someone who is also involved in Software development, I understand!

How close is 1.4? days? weeks?

How close is 1.4? days? weeks?

Yes  :) It's tough to say exactly, but somewhere in the days-weeks range not weeks-months.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on this, this bug has been fixed, and the fix is included in the beta version (1.4.0b2) that is now available on the Google Play Store.

Edited by Matt Robertson
  • Like 1