what is the difference between searching with Scope of Article and Scope of Paragraph?

Kit

May someone let me know the difference between searching with "Scope of Article" and "Scope of Paragraph"?

May you give me an example? It seems like the search results are always identical.

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

These options are for when you use a search command like or . Otherwise they have no effect.

I.e Moses Aaron with a Paragraph scope will give many fewer hits than an Article scope, especially in tools with long articles.

• Like 1

The scope of a search in tools like this is analogous to the seearch scope of verses, sentences, chapters and so on in a text. If you look for two words say God and Love and your scope is article it will try to find hits where both words appear within the one article. If the scope is paragraph it will try to find hits where they are in the same paragraph. I suspect in tools that the hits very often look the same just because of the structure. Nonetheless, trying my example on a tool or two at random. Ok so try searching English Content for God <AND> love in Adam Clarke's commentary ( I think that's one that's included pretty much everywhere) and use Article scope and you will get 7498 hits. Changing to paragraph scope you will get 3899. Examining the hits you'll see that the paragraph numbers (noted on the top left of the pane) will differ to some extent. The first hit for the Article search is in paragraph 351, that of the paragraph search is in paragraph 370.

Thx

D

thanks so much for the explanation. Very helpful