Difficulty Using Bible Atlas for the Seleucid Empire and Hasmonean Era

Nehemiah

I am working on a PowerPoint presentation that focuses on the Maccabean revolt (167-164 BCE) and its aftermath throughout the Hasmonean era (143-ca. 40 BCE). 

The Accordance Bible Atlas lacks a region layer for the Seleucid Empire, as its list moves from the Persian Empire to the Roman Empire.

Moreover, when searching through “Defining Site Layers,” I note a relative absence of resources: (1) under “Biblical Periods” there is only a general category of “Apocrypha,” but none relates specifically to the Maccabean revolt; and (2) under Archaeological Periods, there is a box for “Hellenistic” but this contains few sites specific to the history of the Hasmonean rulers.

Could someone advise me on how I might construct regional layers for: (a) the Seleucid Empire; and if possible, the Ptolemaic era in Egypt. Also, I would like to construct site layers for the Maccabean era both in Israel (Palestine) and  also, if possible, in Egypt.

I have one further question. Is it possible for me to type names of regions and sites onto a map from my computer? I recall that I was able to do this when I did extensive work with the Accordance Bible Atlas in 2010.

With gratitude for assistance.

Please see the Help files for details on creating a custom layer and filling it with your own places and regions. You will want to work at the zoom level that you will ultimately use, as zooming of custom items is not as sophisticated as the main items in the Atlas.

Thank you for this response. I have been trying to work with the various layers (site layers, region layers, and user layers) according to the instructions in the Bible Atlas section of the Accordance XII book in the drop down menu under HELP. Thanks for mentioning the zoom level. Am I able to type the names of places and regions onto the map?

You'll need to create a User Layer ("Define User Layers"). Then select that layer, and choose "Edit User Layer". That will bring up the edit palette.

Thank you. I now see that I can use the Text Tool.

• Like 1