NEW! Picture the NT: A PhotoCommentary

R. Mansfield

NEW! While a traditional commentary seeks to explain the meaning of the Bible's words with still more words, Picture the NT illustrates the biblical text with maps and photographs of biblical locations, relevant archaeological finds, even ancient works of art. Save 30% off the regular price through Monday, November 12.

For more information, please see today’s blog post

Sample images--

Picture%20NT.gif?dl=1

Accordance 12--

Picture%20the%20NT%20macOS.png?dl=1
  • Like 1

Rick, what amount of drive space does the current form (Gospels, Acts, 1Peter and 2Peter) require? My laptop SSD is getting a bit crowded. ;)

Rick, what amount of drive space does the current form (Gospels, Acts, 1Peter and 2Peter) require? My laptop SSD is getting a bit crowded. ;)

320mb right now.

Mark, I am under the impression that images from other Accordance graphic resources may be use in Picture the NT. If this is the case, are these images duplicated on the drive or will Picture the NT pull the image from the graphic resource that is already present on the drive. 

Drive space is the concern I have about getting more graphic intensive resources. (Or get a new laptop with a much larger SSD. )

Thanks,

Joseph

Images in each module are unique to themselves. However, if an image is referenced several times in a module, it is only linking to the one instance of that image. I did most of the image processing for this module, and I believe that most of the images in the Picture the NT module are unique, and don't appear in other modules. 

Thanks for the info. I am now checking my laptop drive space, phone storage space, and counting my pennies. 

Joseph

• Like 2

Drive space is the concern I have about getting more graphic intensive resources. (Or get a new laptop with a much larger SSD. )

Thanks,

Joseph

Solly, I have invested in a load of wd passports (the latest is 4 tb specifically for my lightroom library) and offload large files to it wherever possible and use it as another drive for documents etc which i dont access frequently which frees up space for programs like accordance where resources are integrated or program files. Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I am now checking my laptop drive space, phone storage space, and counting my pennies. 

Joseph

You probably already know this, but make sure your drive has at least 10% of its space free. It will slow down substantially if less than that is available. 

• Like 1

You probably already know this, but make sure your drive has at least 10% of its space free. It will slow down substantially if less than that is available. 

I have 15% free space and I thought I was getting to the point I needed to clean out some not so vital stuff or offload to a WD Passport as Fraser suggested. 

I did not know 10% free space was when issues arose—I think now is the time to clean house on the laptop. ;)

Thanks for the feedback, Rick and Fraser!

—Joseph

• Like 1

I like the concept of this but has anyone used it and can you make any comments/review?

I'm interested in buying but want to make sure I know what I'm getting.

Larry Have you watched the podcast dr j has produced in the blog post listed above (or via the forum).

Edited by ukfraser

Yes I saw the podcast which is why I'm interested but would like others' views first.

One question is how extensive is it as far as verses with appropriate photos? Most verses, all verses, main verses?

Larry,

If you want an extensive photo collection, you might take a look at the PhotoCompanion to the Bible, by BiblePlaces.com. This is an ongoing project that first began appearing in 2017, and has plans to cover the entire Bible. The Gospels includes over 10,000 photos. Work is well underway for several other books. Like the Accordance collection, you will find aerial photos, museum objects, explanatory notes and captions. You can download a few samples from the link.

I am a huge Accordance fan, but in this case, if you want an extensive collection, I think you will be more satisfied with what BiblePlaces offers.

[Disclosure: I worked on the PhotoCompanion Gospels and I have been an Accordance user since 6.9.]

A.D.

Edited by A.D. Riddle
  • Like 1

We appreciate the work that Todd Bolen at BiblePlaces.com has done in the PhotoCompanion to the Bible, especially all of the work that he has done to make pictures of Bible background much more accessible to those who teach the Bible. In the past it was not always easy to license the most basic photos from commercial photographers for teaching or academic purposes. Furthermore, we are licensing some of the BiblePlaces collections for use in Accordance. We also see the PhotoCompanion as complementary to the Picture the NT Accordance module. 

To help Accordance users better understand some of the differences between these two products, here is a summary of some of the distinctives of the Picture the NT Accordance module:
  1. The file storage requirements of Picture the NT are much less than for PhotoCompanion  We do not expect Picture the NT to exceed 400 MB when the entire NT is complete. By comparison, the Gospel of Matthew alone in PhotoCompanion requires about 1 GB of storage space.

2. As pointed out already in this forum, the main reason for the file size requirements is the number of pictures included. PhotoCompanion certainly has more pictures, often for similar places and themes. For those who need to select from a wide choice of pictures, we would recommend purchasing PhotoCompanion  The Picture the NT module certainly has fewer pictures per verse reference, but the aim is to use fewer pictures along with detailed captions to describe the context and background of a specific verse. In many of the verses, more pictures of the same site can be easily accessed by hyperlinking from Picture the NT to other Accordance resources, such as the PhotoGuide and PhotoMuseum.

3. Perhaps the most important difference between Picture the NT and PhotoCompanion is the platform. PhotoCompanion comes on a PowerPoint platform, which in addition to the pictures provides limited searching of the notes.

By contrast Picture the NT is designed for the Accordance platform, which gives all of the advantages of searching and hyperlinking to the various resources that Accordance offers. Furthermore, even though the pictures can be used for teaching, they are not primarily intended for use as a photo archive, but rather to help the Accordance user gain a better understanding of the context and background of the Bible.
Therefore PhotoCompanion and Picture the NT should be seen as two worthwhile products that are complementary, each with its own purpose, goals, and advantages. We wholeheartedly endorse the work of BiblePlaces.com, and we also look forward to further cooperation in the future.

• Like 1

Therefore PhotoCompanion and Picture the NT should be seen as two worthwhile products that are complementary, each with its own purpose, goals, and advantages. We wholeheartedly endorse the work of BiblePlaces.com, and we also look forward to further cooperation in the future.

I am thankful both BiblePlaces.com and Accordance. I purchased just about everything available in the graphics offering from both Accordance and BiblePlaces. I love both! There are some areas where there is overlap but that's OK. I also own several Atlases in both Accordance and print. 

I would love having everything in Accordance. I realize that would create some LARGE modules that would likely have to be broken into several as is the PhotoGuide. For those who haven't seen it, Historic Views of the Holy Land is phenomenal <https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BP-American%20Colony>

Realizing that such is not possible at this point I have created myself a User Tool with file links to each of the Powerpoint files. This will allow me to search the User Tool (and others with My Groups) to find a powerpoint file of a specific location.

I look forward to more BiblePlaces products being offered in Accordance. The best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

“Picture the NT does something I thought impossible, it makes spending time on biblical genealogies interesting." Read Wes Allen's full review of the brand new PICTURE THE NEW TESTAMENT: A PHOTOCOMMENTARY at Painfully Hopeful.
  • Like 1

I took the plunge and bought it, since it will be updated for free

I just bought it too. Thanks to all for their thoughts.

And the response was so good that they have extended the sale for another week

We love being able to show off our Accordance products at ETS/AAR/SBL! :)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Question: How extensive are the hyperlinks from "Picture the NT" to other photo modules?

In Dr. J's podcast video about this module, he said, "Picture the New Testament is an index to visual resources we already own, offering relevant links for each passage's people, places, and objects." Are these internal links to other articles within Picture the NT, or are these links to other modules? If so, which modules? PhotoGuide and PhotoMuseum? Others?

Thank you for any help.

• Like 1

Question: How extensive are the hyperlinks from "Picture the NT" to other photo modules?

I have the same question. How useful would Picture the New Testament be as a scripture based frontend to the Photo Guide, Photo Museum. and Bible Art tools from Accordance? I am definitely most interested in the hyperlinks to the other Accordance visual tools.

—Joseph

• Like 1

I have the same question. How useful would Picture the New Testament be as a scripture based frontend to the Photo Guide, Photo Museum. and Bible Art tools from Accordance? I am definitely most interested in the hyperlinks to the other Accordance visual tools.

—Joseph

I would say there are numerous hyperlinks to the PhotoGuides and that is what makes the module worth purchase. Without them the Picture the NT would suffer greatly as seems in the module  there are numerous recycled photos (in an effort to keep the module small). If you are interested in the Picture the NT then please go ahead and purchase the PhotoGuide 6 Collections as well while they are on sale. I don't think you will be disappointed with purchasing them together. 

• Like 4