Better Chapter / Verse Info

TYA

I really appreciate how other programs give an index of chapter and verses for various works.  Sometimes it makes navigating the work faster, even if I know the work pretty well.  But especially when I don't know the work that well, having an index, or list of chapters and verses offers a helpful means of navigating.

Furthermore, unless I'm missing something, there isn't even a list of full names for Evans' Pseudipigrapha (see attached screenshot).  There are only abbreviated names (except for short ones like "Enoch").  At the very least, make pop up tags showing the full name of the work.  In the case of the screenshot, "Artapan." should be "Artapanus."

Yes, I know that there are technically other ways to get this information, such as going to the internet.  But it would be nice if such information (especially the chapters and verses, which can't be reliably found in cyberspace, since different versions / editions may use different versification, and what ultimately matters for navigation is how Accordance does it) was available in Accordance as well.

Though not an apples to apples comparison, see these two screenshots--one from Accordance, and another from a different software program, showing how a list of chapters displays. (And verses are also offered after a chapter is selected in that other program).  Thank you.

post-35231-0-50334100-1541896346_thumb.jpg

post-35231-0-11786500-1541896354_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Hi TYA,

Check out the Read-Me - also known as Accordance Modules Info. There is a section on Evans work there which has more info. Whether enough for you purposes I don't know but if you haven't seen it, it may be of use.

Thx

D

Check out the Read-Me - also known as Accordance Modules Info

I'd love to, but Accordance crashes instantly the moment I select "Read Mes" under the Help menu.  I tried about 10 times in a row, even restarting the computer in the middle, just to see if it made a difference.  So "Read Mes" apparently aren't an option for me.

Unless they give the specific book names (in full), chapter numbers, and verses, I'd say it isn't good enough.  Keep in mind that even for something as common as the biblical text, different versions use different versification, and so there are even instances where being able to click a button and see the totals would be helpful.  How much more, as I said earlier, for works that are less well known.

Thank you, of course, for the tip.  You are always helpful.  And I'm sure there will be some recourse to the crashing "Read Mes."

Edited by TYA

I really appreciate how other programs give an index of chapter and verses for various works.  Sometimes it makes navigating the work faster, even if I know the work pretty well.  But especially when I don't know the work that well, having an index, or list of chapters and verses offers a helpful means of navigating.

Furthermore, unless I'm missing something, there isn't even a list of full names for Evans' Pseudipigrapha (see attached screenshot).  There are only abbreviated names (except for short ones like "Enoch").  At the very least, make pop up tags showing the full name of the work.  In the case of the screenshot, "Artapan." should be "Artapanus."

+ 100!

Ok I do not know why you cannot open the module in Windows. I can open it. I am running the latest 12.3 on Win 10. Instead of trying from the help menu try from the library. Open the library, search for "read". Then double click on the Accordance Modules Info (Read Me-Modules). Anyhow, as you cannot see it and it's a free module that comes with many collections I think I can probably paste a little here to give you a flavor of what is in it.

There is an explanation of content listing the short and long names of each module :

Contents

The arrangement of each book is described below by general groups with the following details:

1. The number in front of the name of the book is that given by Charlesworth. If this is a fragment from a secondary source, the symbol ƒ is used.

2. Following the full name, the short name used in the Accordance module is shown in brackets. If several separate names are used to represent one book, these are all listed in the brackets.

3. On the next line is a biographical reference of the source of the text.

4. The references following the name “Accordance” are the actual references used in the Accordance module for different parts of each text. The two you specifically mentioned have this info. The first is in the Pseud-T the Greek text, the second only in the Pseud-E English, so far as I can tell quickly.

Apocalyptic Works

01 Book of Enoch [Enoch]
H. B. Swete, The Psalms of Solomon with the Greek Fragments of the Book of Enoch (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1899).
Accordance 1.1-107.3

46 Fragments of Artapanus ƒ [Artapan.]
Accordance 1.1-3.37
  Fragment §1 (on Abraham) Eusebius, Praep. Evang. 9.18.1  (1.1 in Accordance)
  Fragment §2 (on Joseph) Eusebius, Praep. Evang. 9.23.1-4 (2.1-4 in Accordance)
  Fragment §3 (on Moses) Eusebius, Praep. Evang. 9.27.1-37 (3.1-37 in Accordance)

There is also a bit of material of who was involved with the project, who did the tagging, arrangement of the texts and so on.

Thx

D

Open the library, search for "read".

Okay, this way works to get to the "Read Mes."  Thanks, D.  And yes, it is good information, and I'm glad to have it.

It doesn't fully satisfy my initial request in this post, because I would still like the full book names immediately accessible (a popup tag, or something like that; maybe Instant Details window, at worst), the chapter numbers and verse numbers.  But this information you pointed me to is obviously important and helpful.

Edited by TYA

Display menu -> List All Book Names

I think this is what you are wanting?

Display menu -> List All Book Names

I think this is what you are wanting?

Yes, the "Display -> List All Book Names" does provide part of what I asked for in this thread.  Now, at least I know the full names of the books in the work, and that is helpful.

But it doesn't provide an index of chapter and verse listings (meaning, it doesn't let me know how many chapters there are, and how many verses per chapter--much less does it allow me to select a chapter and verse that way.  (Again, see screenshot at top of this post for an example).

Having that basic information is helpful for navigating in a variety of circumstances.  If a person knows the text real well, this is just one more option to get where they are going.  But sometimes, I have been able to compare versification (or related details) by using such an index in another program.  Again, even commonly-known works (e.g. English Bibles) can have distinctions which are brought to light through such an index.

But all the more so when it is a work that is fairly uncommon--say, a pseudipigraphical writing, historical writing, or rabbinic writing.  How has Accordance chosen to break up this work, and what is the most effective way for me to navigate it.

Take this example.  I happen upon the title "Artapanus" in Evans' Pseudipigrapha.  I'd like to start reading about the halfway point of this work.  But I have no idea where that is.  If I had a chapter and verse table / list, then I could get where I want to go easily.

Next (hypothetical) example: I heard someone say that Eusebius said "such and such" in the sixth chapter of his book.  I pull up Accordance and type "Eusebius 6:1," but receive a message saying that this verse doesn't exist in Accordance (or something like that).  Why isn't this verse found?

It turns out that the person who told me "sixth chapter" was reading Eusebius in another format / program, which broke the work down in such a way that it includes a sixth chapter.  But Accordance chose to break it down differently, so that there are only five chapters instead.

Now, if I had the hypothetical chapter and verse listing, I could see that Accordance only lists five chapters for Eusebius, and I would assume that this discrepancy was merely the manner in which Accordance chose to break down / versify the work.  I would then select the fifth chapter and start reading.  If, however, there was no chapter and verse listing, I'd be far more lost.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

+1 to see long book names

+1 for index/grid to select chapter/verse. I could see this as a button on the Navigation Bar next to the Go To box. 

• Like 1