Workflow for finding relevant Graphics/Maps Resources?

OSchrock

As my graphics resources grow I feel more lost than ever when trying to find information relevant to the passage at hand.

What is your method for getting the most out of your graphics/maps resources?

Right now, I Research a word for "Images" or "English" in [Graphic Tools] but it still seems that I'm having a hard time finding relevant information.

Practical example: I wanted to find a map of Isaac's move from Beerlahairoi to Gerar and then to Beersheba, in Genesis 26. I could find nothing in my searches, but later stumbled across a map image in the Life Application Study Bible that was exactly what I was looking for! (https://accordance.bible/link/read/Life_App_Study_Bible#868) Is there a way to find information like this without searching each resource individually?

And, what about the new "Picture the NT: A PhotoCommentary" module? It seems that it is a step in the right direction of being a type of InfoPane for graphics resources. How much would that module link to other resources in my library?

Any practical advice would be appreciated!

I usually just do an image search in "All Tools" in the Research Tab. It's going to search the caption field of any Tool, which broadens your search from the more limiting "Graphic Tools" search. Also, I try to avoid words that could be spelled differently in different resources. In your example, a search for Isaac <AND> Gerar in "All Tools" found the Life Application SB image. 

You can also use "My Toolset" in the Info Pane to add graphics resources. It doesn't display the image (currently), but it will at least tell you when a resource like Picture the NT has an entry for the verse you're on.

I use my esv study bible with text as it has a reasonable amount of maps and scrolls with text so if there is a map, you can see it. I also check a couple of study bibles if nothing obvious in the Esv.

The esv study bible has an list of maps and rather than search, i tend to go to the list.

As its always not clear from the map title, i tend to search my atlases with a place name, individual or passage but select content and flick through the hits to see if there is a map.

my favourite holman bible has an list of maps in the printed copy but we dont have that in the accordance version so i have to search.

post-31185-0-38890200-1542732273_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

I place all my visual resources in a custom group that run my research query against. This contains not just the standard visual tools you get in any of the graphics collections but also contains study bible's and any other sources that have images (I have both the Zondervan Background Commentaries and some illustrated dictionaries)

Similar to Michael above, I grouped all my visual resources together.  This is a wonderful function in Accordance to organize--especially as your collection grows.

Then, I do a "Research -> All" (or "All Tools") search on the word "Beersheba" (notoriously connected to the patriarchs), or else "patriarchs <AND> Isaac."  This particular topic you are interested in is often subtitled "patriarchs" in atlases (see "Captured 88" attached).

In your example, a search for Isaac <AND> Gerar in "All Tools"

Or doing an "Image" search in the Research tab for just "Isaac" turned up the same map from the Satellite Bible Atlas (though I don't have the Life Application you and Mark referred to).  See "Captured 92" (attached).

post-35231-0-57229800-1542783870_thumb.jpg

post-35231-0-30636100-1542785690_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

Thank you to all of you. That gives me some good pointers and also helps me to know I'm not overlooking anything obvious!

• Like 1