Black Friday ONLY Zondervan Specials--65% OFF!

R. Mansfield

BLACK FRIDAY ONLY! Save 65% off the regular price on these Zondervan titles for the Accordance Bible Software Library!

That's a great price on NIDNTTE (actually the best I think I have ever seen it at). Highly recommend getting it at this price if you are able.

• Like 1

I concur Michael. NIDNTTE is one of my top go to language tools for NT word studies. It is well worth the price, but especially at the special price for today.

Joseph

Is better than the older version by Colin Brown

That's a great price on NIDNTTE (actually the best I think I have ever seen it at). Highly recommend getting it at this price if you are able.

I concur Michael. NIDNTTE is one of my top go to language tools for NT word studies. It is well worth the price, but especially at the special price for today.

Joseph

I have both in Accordance, but I still prefer the German one, to cite in German Papers the Accordance ones are useless. Hopefully this come to Accordance too.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

I had a quick look at the NIDNTTE in the store and around the place. I couldn't on the face of it see what it provided over a collection of tools like, BDAG, LSJ, Louw and Nida and so on. I looked up the same example as in the web page's example. So while a really good price I didn't go for it because I appeared to already have all the info in existing resources. But .... am I missing anything ? Does it offer anything over these resources ? It doesn't appear to even cover all the NT vocabularly though covers more than half.

Thx

D

I had a quick look at the NIDNTTE in the store and around the place. I couldn't on the face of it see what it provided over a collection of tools like, BDAG, LSJ, Louw and Nida and so on. I looked up the same example as in the web page's example. So while a really good price I didn't go for it because I appeared to already have all the info in existing resources. But .... am I missing anything ? Does it offer anything over these resources ? It doesn't appear to even cover all the NT vocabularly though covers more than half.

Thx

D

I have NIDNTT. This is very exhaustive dictionary. Often one word explanation takes 3-6 pages of text. I think NIDNTTE is probably even better as it includes exegesis as well. This is THEOLOGICAL dictionary. BDAG is just a dictionary, although the best one among several Greek dictionaries. My 2₵…

• Like 1

Thanx Guntis. Perhaps the except on the Accordance page is not the best to highlight this aspect of the dictionary. Perhaps a complete except of a theologically pregnant term would be more helpful.

Thx

D

ἅγιος G41 (hagios), holy, sacred, subst. neut. holy thing, sanctuary;

ἁγιάζω G39 (hagiazō), to make holy, consecrate, sanctify;

ἁγιασμός G40 (hagiasmos), holiness, consecration, sanctification;

ἁγιότης G42 (hagiotēs), holiness;

ἁγιωσύνη G43 (hagiōsynē), holiness

Concept: Holy; Temple

GL From the perspective of the history of religions, “(the) holy” initially designated the elemental forces of nature (mana) and taboo, then more generally the sphere of divine power that human beings felt to be superior and threatening. The opp. of the holy was the profane, the sphere of human life outside the sacred realm; thus religion often consisted in using cultic and ritual processes that were thought to separate the holy from the desecration and contamination caused by the profane.

The adj. ἅγιος evidently derives from the noun ἅγος or ἄγος (not found in the Bible or in Jos., but several times in Philo), which can mean “(religious) awe” in a positive sense, but more freq. “guilt, pollution,” or even “abomination.” It is related to ἅζομαι (also unattested in bib. Gk.), meaning “to stand in awe of, respect, dread” (e.g., Homer Il. 1.21 [reverence for Apollo]). On this basis, some have suggested that ἅγιος indicates less what is taboo than what is holy and worthy of worship. This adj. is not very common in Gk. lit.; it does not occur at all in Homer, Hesiod, or the tragedians (who use the related ἁγνός G54), though Hdt. uses it, e.g., with ref. to the “holy” temples of Aphrodite and Heracles (2.41.5; 2.44.1). The term can also be applied to oaths (Aristot. Mir. ausc. 834b11) and more rarely to people (Aristoph. Av. 522). Hellenism used the word as an epithet describing oriental gods (e.g., Isis and Baal), whence it was also transferred to Gk. gods (TDNT 1:89).

Apparently derived from ἅγιος is the vb. ἁγίζω (“to consecrate”), though the LXX and NT use the later formation ἁγιάζω. This vb. in turn gave rise to other derivatives that are seldom found in extrabib. Gk., such as ἁγίασμα (LXX, but not NT), ἁγιασμός, etc.

JL 1 In sharp contrast to classical Gk., the LXX uses ἅγιος very freq., over 800x; the vb. ἁγιάζω occurs almost 200x, and the noun ἁγίασμα almost 70x (the other derivatives occur fewer than 10x each; all these statistics include the Apoc.). In the books that have a Heb. original, this word group serves, with only a few isolated exceptions, to translate the adj. קָדוֹשׁ H7705 and its derivatives.

The etym. of the Heb. root קדשׁ is often traced to the idea of “division” or “separation” (cf. N. H. Snaith, The Distinctive Ideas of the Old Testament [1944], 21–50), but this derivation is disputed (cf. HALOT 3:1072), and alternate proposals have not won wide approval. Since the קדשׁ word group is well attested in the OT, and since its etym. remains obscure, its actual employment in the Bible itself determines its significance. An examination of its occurrences in context suggests that the factor of separateness is often present, but not to the exclusion of other elements, such as purity. At least part of its meaning may be deduced from its opp. to that which is common, profane, or defiled (‏חֹל‎ H2687; cf. 1 Sam 21:4 [MT 21:5]; Ezek 22:26; et al.). It may be that the basic idea is a positive one: the divine-human encounter that inevitably demands certain modes of response. Although Heb. worship was partic. concerned with this encounter, the sphere of the holy was wider than the cult. Holiness may not have been an ethical concept initially, but it certainly posits ethical values (see esp. Ps 24:3–4 [LXX 23:3–4]). This ethic is the expression of the holiness of Yahweh in a world where comparable sacred practices were widely observed. For example, sexual intercourse is in no way unethical or immoral, but in the context of the sacred cult it is regarded as ceremonially impure, preventing a person from coming into contact with the holy (Exod 19:15; 1 Sam 21:4–5 [MT 21:5–6]).

2 The word group does not occur freq. in the oldest sources. Yahweh is once called “this holy God” by the inhabitants of Beth Shemesh because they were exposed to great disaster when they did not show proper respect for the ark of the covenant (1 Sam 6:19–20). Although the OT mentions many cultic centers, only twice are places described as holy: the ground where Moses received his call (Exod 3:5) and the spot where Joshua received a revelation (Josh 5:15). A passage that clearly takes us out of the sphere of the cult is 2 Ki. 4:9, which records that the woman from Shunem recognized Elisha, the man of God, as holy, i.e., full of sacred power.

The vb. (Heb. ‏קָדַשׁ H7727, primarily in the pi., קִדַּשׁ; Gk. ἁγιάζω) seems to be used more uniformly in a cultic sense. A person needed to sanctify himself or herself when temporarily excluded from the life of the community by uncleanness (2 Sam 11:4) or when coming into contact with God (Exod 19:10–24 [theophany]; 1 Sam 21:5 [holy war]; 1 Sam 16:5 [family sacrifice]). A person or a group of persons could sanctify other people (1 Sam 7:1) or things (Judg 17:3; 1 Ki. 8:64) and thus place them at God’s disposal. It is important also to mention that the LXX (cod. B) translates the expression “a Nazirite of God” (נְזִיר אֱלֹהִים) by “a holy one of God” (ἅγιον θεοῦ, Judg 13:7; cf. 16:17). As Num 6:1–21 shows, the case of the Nazirite was a special form of consecration.

One can only surmise that the rise of the great royal sanctuaries (Jerusalem, Bethel) occasioned an extension in the use of the word holy. For example, it could be applied to bread (1 Sam 21:4) and to sacrificial meat (Jer 11:15). The psalmist speaks of Yahweh’s holy temple (Ps 5:7 and often), of the holy hill (3:4; 15:1 [LXX 14:1]), of holy Zion (2:6), of God’s holy heaven (20:6 [19:7]) or of the holy height (NIV, “sanctuary on high”) from which Yahweh hears (102:19 [101:20]), and correspondingly of his holy throne (47:8 [46:9]). Yahweh himself is awesome and holy (99:3 [98:3]). None of the gods is holy as he is, for none casts down the exalted and raises the humble as he does (1 Sam 2:2; cf. v. 7)....

-----

Bibliography

TDNT 1:88–115; EDNT 1:16–20; Trench 327–36; 12:521–45; NIDOTTE 3:877–87. E. H. Askwith, The Christian Conception of Holiness (1900); E. Williger, Hagios: Untersuchungen zur Terminologie des Heiligen in den hellenisch-hellenistischen Religionen (1922); R. Otto, The Idea of the Holy (1923); F. J. Leenhardt, La notion de sainteté dans l’Ancien Testament (1929); R. Asting, Die Heiligkeit im Urchristentum (1930); H. Ringgren, The Prophetical Conception of Holiness (1948); P. Chantraine and O. Masson, “Sur quelques termes du vocabulaire religieux des Grecs: la valeur du mot ἄγος et de ses dérivés,” in Sprachgeschichte und Wortbedeutung (1954), 85–107; H. S. Gehman, “Ἅγιος in the LXX and Its Relation to the Hebrew Original,” VT 4 (1954): 337–48; O. Schilling, Das Heilige und das Gute im Alten Testament (1956); S. Neill, Christian Holiness (1960); O. R. Jones, The Concept of Holiness (1961); J. H. Elliott, The Elect and the Holy (1966); J. Nuchelmans, “À propos de ἅγιος avant l’époque hellénistique,” in Fructus centesimus: mélanges offerts à G. J. M. Bartelink, ed. A. Bastiaensen et al. (1989), 239–58; J. Mateos, “Algunas notas sobre el evangelio de Marcos (IV),” FN 5 (1992): 61–68 [esp. 61–63 on Mark 1:24, “el consagrado de Dios”]; M. Bohlen, Sanctorum Communio: Die Christen als ‘Heilige’ bei Paulus (2011).

Edited by Helen Brown
Excerpt exceeded Forum guidelines.
  • Like 2

Thanx Michael. That gives a much better picture of what the dictionary is aiming at.

thx

D

Per our Forum Guidelines:

Excerpts of Accordance modules are allowed but should be limited to under 2,000 words. We reserve the right to protect the rights of the publishers by editing long excerpts.

I have edited the above quote which was 5,723 words. In any case the special Zondervan sale is over.

I have both the NIDNTTE and the NIDOTTE (in hard copy). The NIDOTTE is one of my favorite references. The NIDNTTE is a very good reference but, in hard copy, it is poorly organized. Frequently, I have found that when I am referencing a Greek word I need to look several different article (in multiple volumes). Unfortunately, the articles are organized under English word topics and not Greek word topics. Additionally, all of the Greek is transliterated which makes looking up references even more difficult.

As a indexed computer reference, this volume would probably be one of my favorites, but I can't personally justify repurchasing it.

I've read that criticism elsewhere Mike. I believe more recently they changed it to organize by Greek words, and I think that's the edition Acc offers. I hope they also ditched the translit. which if the above excerpt is representative they have.

Thx

D

Per our Forum Guidelines:

Excerpts of Accordance modules are allowed but should be limited to under 2,000 words. We reserve the right to protect the rights of the publishers by editing long excerpts.

I have edited the above quote which was 5,723 words. In any case the special Zondervan sale is over.

My apologies. I was looking for a small article but didn't realise it was that large.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael a great quote, and it gets even better when considering half was editted away.

I would have bought this module at 65% discount. But back then I wasn't even a Accordance user. Now I have to wait until the nexr Black Friday :rolleyes:

WhiteWings, welcome to accordance.

Now is a great time to join and the team bring us lots of good deals. Search this thread particularly to get a flavour of what deals you can get on lexicons and other lovely must have products.

;o)