Accordance Module Dedicated To GNT Vocabulary Lists By Frequency (i.e., Not A Lexicon)?

JohnABarnett

I am going to begin meeting with someone once a week so we can review and where necessary relearn New Testament Greek. Over time I intend to work through some NT passages starting with the first 18 verses of the Gospel of John. I'm not yet sure how much he remembers, but I suspect not much. So I'm setting up and Accordance workspace to support this project.

I have a number or resources suitable for this, Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek, Stevens' Greek Grammar, etc. Also I have plenty of lexicons. But I can't seem to find an easy to use, dedicated Greek vocabulary module that can serve as a basis for him to begin to learn the most commonly found words in the NT. When I studied Greek years ago we had a book that categorized lists of words that occurred most frequently, 100 plus, 50 plus, etc. For each word listed it showed the number of times occurring and the principal parts. This makes it much easier for a new student to focus on the most frequently used vocabulary words.

Here's an example of such a book on Amazon, "The Complete Vocabulary Guide to the Greek New Testament," by Trenchard:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Vocabulary-Guide-Greek-Testament/dp/0310226953/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544191032&sr=1-1&keywords=new+testament+greek+vocabulary#customerReviews

Am I missing something? Is there a similar resource available in Accordance?

Just as helpful as this would be resource that scrolls with the Greek text and includes word frequencies in the particular NT book being studied. That way he could limit his initial memorization to words useful for our specific project.

I've reflected a bit on vocabulary lists, and included some downloadable lists HERE.

In Accordance, one thing you can do is create a highlighting file that designates frequency of use. I'll attach one I share with my students. (You'll have to unzip it and place it in your Accordance Highlights subdirectory). When you enable that highlighting, as you're reading the Greek, you can quickly see how frequently each word occurs. (Click on the image to see.)

Frequency Lists.zip

post-26999-0-92189200-1544195731_thumb.png

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion and the zipped file, mgvh. If there's no ready-made resource, this would be a real alternative.

Edited by JohnABarnett

John, I think Dr. J may have addressed what you are seeking in Lighting the Lamp #74) Building Vocabulary.

http://www.accordancefiles2.com/podcasts/p74_buildingvocabulary.mp4

SUPER, Solly! That's exactly what I need, and I can customize it by whatever passage I want. I don't even have to buy a resource. Thanks so much.

John, if you want to create a reader's guide for a passage, Lighting the Lamp #72) Learn a Biblical Language , will show how to do that.

Have fun,

Joseph

• Like 1

As an additional option, we've added a “frequency” field to the Mounce Greek Dictionary. You can search for the number of occurrences, and then “Show Text As—>Articles”. That will remove everything that isn’t a hit. The new version number is 4.2.

Screen%20Shot%202018-12-07%20at%2011.23.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 6

Wow, talk about fresh off the press! Excellent work, Mark. 

• Like 1

As an additional option, we've added a “frequency” field to the Mounce Greek Dictionary. You can search for the number of occurrences, and then “Show Text As—>Articles”. That will remove everything that isn’t a hit. The new version number is 4.2.

Any Hebrew lexicons include that feature by chance?

Wow. Great tips. Waitresses would die to serve you at dinner.

• Like 1

Matt: This feature is available in the KM Hebrew Dictionary, though it is in the 'English Content' field.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 3.26.05 PM.png

• Like 1

Matt: This feature is available in the KM Hebrew Dictionary, though it is in the 'English Content' field.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 3.26.05 PM.png

This field inconsistency has been addressed. They are now indexed as ‘Frequency’.

Watch for an update soon.

Edited by Graham Buck
  • Like 2

This field inconsistency has been addressed. They are now indexed as ‘Frequency’.

Watch for an update soon.

Any plans for say Halot? Or DCH? Dr Clines has some of this material already on his Academia page...

Mark, I finally got around to trying this. How do you enter the Frequency number in such a way as to return all occurrences with that frequency or higher? Unless I'm doing it wrong, it looks like the number you enter in the Frequency search returns a hit only on exact matches. I'm sure there's an entry convention to do this, I just don't know what it is.

• Like 1

I should have said "that number and lower." Sorry, wasn't thinking straight this morning. I want to return a list of words in an original language text that occur less frequently than some number.

Hi John,

You cannot do something like 60- as you can with COUNT in text searches alas. I wondered about this when I saw this update.

But the field is text. So the best I've so far achieved is this,

You can instead do something like : "?(1-3)?x" to get occurrences between 10 and 39 for example.

You also cannot get a sort by frequency which would be nice.

Getting the last tenth requires an additional search term I think so you end up with :

"?(1-3)?x" <OR> "?(0-9)x"

Also it's over the whole range of the lexicon, the whole NT.

But adding a SCRIPTURE predicate probably doesn't help because the citation info is not exhaustive.

Thx

D

• Like 2

Thanks for the helpful instructions, Daniel.