Range filter for passages

Donald Cobb

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's a way to find vocabulary specific to passages attributed to Jesus in the Gospels (specifically οὐρανός and οὐράνιος). I'm thinking it might be possible to do a search using "red letters" as a filter, but I haven't the slightest idea of where to begin.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

If you are wanting to search by a specific Greek word (e.g. οὐρανός), then you could do an "AND" search using two different key numbers, or, you could do an "AND" search with a combination of one English word (e.g. "Jesus") and the Greek key number for οὐρανός.  Then, use the "Scope" option to set the distance you want the words to be from each other (see attached image).

post-35231-0-60654600-1544407834_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

I wanted to see if you could do this sort of thing in the syntax module. Something like the below will get you some data.

post-32023-0-41704100-1544409386_thumb.jpg

I was kind of loose with the upper structure, hence the depth of 4 in the ANY CLAUSE.

The INDEPENDENT (Speech) the depth is set to 4 to allow for complex phrasing the quoted speech. It may in fact not be deep enough but you can play with it.

EDIT: I noticed you wanted the range in the Gospels which I had not included though my hits were only in Gospels. Add a [RANGE Gospels] if you have the Accordance Exchange search ranges installed, or <ANV> [RANGE Matt-John] otherwise.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Thanks for your ideas TYA and Daniel. I had thought about searching for "ούρανός <AND> Ἰησοῦς @ [NOUN nominative]" but figured that would give me too many false positives. That's something along the lines of what TYA suggests. Daniel, what kind of results did your query turn up? I don't have the syntax module, unfortunately.

If your search gives a lot of false hits, my guess is that what would be needed for this and other searches of this kind would be a range filter limiting the search to the words of Jesus in the Gospels, thus the idea of seeing if it's possible to search in a "Red letter Bible" such as ESV. Or perhaps more specifically a module containing only those words/teachings. So your results interest me. Thanks!

Edited by Donald Cobb

Ah ... I could not quite remember Donald. Here are the hits I got with the query I posted:

Μαθθαῖον 4·17 ¶     Ἀπὸ τότε ἤρξατο ὁ Ἰησοῦς κηρύσσειν καὶ λέγειν· μετανοεῖτε· ἤγγικεν γὰρ ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.
Μαθθαῖον 19·14 ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν· ἄφετε τὰ παιδία καὶ μὴ κωλύετε αὐτὰ ἐλθεῖν πρός με, τῶν γὰρ τοιούτων ἐστὶν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.
Μαθθαῖον 22·1 ¶     Καὶ ἀποκριθεὶς ὁ Ἰησοῦς πάλιν εἶπεν ἐν παραβολαῖς αὐτοῖς λέγων·
Μαθθαῖον 22·2 ὡμοιώθη ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν ἀνθρώπῳ βασιλεῖ, ὅστις ἐποίησεν γάμους τῷ υἱῷ αὐτοῦ.
Μαθθαῖον 28·18 καὶ προσελθὼν ὁ Ἰησοῦς ἐλάλησεν αὐτοῖς λέγων· ἐδόθη μοι πᾶσα ἐξουσία ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ [τῆς] γῆς.
Μάρκον 10·21 Ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς ἐμβλέψας αὐτῷ ἠγάπησεν αὐτὸν καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ· ἕν σε ὑστερεῖ· ὕπαγε, ὅσα ἔχεις πώλησον καὶ δὸς [τοῖς] πτωχοῖς, καὶ ἕξεις θησαυρὸν ἐν οὐρανῷ, καὶ δεῦρο ἀκολούθει μοι.
Μάρκον 11·29 Ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν αὐτοῖς· ἐπερωτήσω ὑμᾶς ἕνα λόγον, καὶ ἀποκρίθητέ μοι καὶ ἐρῶ ὑμῖν ἐν ποίᾳ ἐξουσίᾳ ταῦτα ποιῶ·
Μάρκον 11·30 τὸ βάπτισμα τὸ Ἰωάννου ἐξ οὐρανοῦ ἦν ἢ ἐξ ἀνθρώπων; ἀποκρίθητέ μοι.   

Thanks Daniel! That gives me an idea of what the syntax module turns up. I'll try comparing that with some other results. I just tried a query in NA28 looking for ουραν* [RANGE Mat-Joh] with ESV as parallel text with the red letter option turned on. That means having to eye-ball the results (161 of them!) so it's not ideal...

Or try this without the syntax module. It showed what I thought might be true was true - that the depth of 4 is not enough in my syntax query:

post-32023-0-59394600-1544420309_thumb.jpg

This gets more hits though if I push the Speech depth to infinite I get more. But they are both returning some hits the other doesn't. I'll have to spend more time to work out

Thx

D

Ok I checked them and the syntax query is getting all the hits the construct is getting except for a false positive, where Jesus is not the speaker but being spoken to. I had to make two changes to get the syntax query to perform better. Limited the predicate phrase to one segment - I think what's going on  here is a predicate phrase with two verbs one either side of Jesus, so if it you just concentrate on one segment it works. I also reduced the depth in the ANY CLAUSE which probably did little actually but I thought it might reduce the possibility for false positives.

post-32023-0-26952700-1544421515_thumb.jpg

Thx

D