Why does this search miss these results?

Donald Cobb

I'm looking for similar occurrences to ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηρου in Matt. 6:13 (minus ἀπό). For a reason that remains inexplicable to me, the search below misses fully a dozen valid hits (Mt 5,39; 6,13; 13,49; Mc 7,23; Lk 6,35; Jn 7,7; Ac 19,12-13; Ep 5,16; Col 1,21; 2 Th 3,2; 2 Jn 1,11). Strangely, Matt 6:13 is not picked up, but the following, syntactically close, are: Mt 5:37 (ἐκ τοῦ πονηροῦ); 13:38 (οἱ υἱοὶ τοῦ πονηροῦ); Jn 17:15 ( ἐκ τοῦ πονηροῦ); 2Th 3,3 (ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ); 1Jn 3:12 (ἐκ τοῦ πονηροῦ).

Can someone tell me what's wrong? Thanks!

post-34440-0-72208600-1544451104_thumb.png

I could be mistaken but I believe it is because the articles in question are both masculine and neuter in form for the missing hits. Not 100% accurate. Hmm...

Also, some of the missing hits you recorded are actually plurals, not singular.

Edited by jarcher

Also, some of the hits you're indicating should be valid don't have a singular article (Matt. 13:49, Mark 7:23, Luke 6:35).

Edited by Mark Allison

Thanks guys, good catch. My mistake. Interestingly, with the article box marked for singular some of those passages I mentioned didn't get picked up, even though the article in the text was singular (see my examples). Most of these turn up when I remove that criterion. Is that a bug?

However, even when the only criteria are that the article and the lexeme agree in gender, number and case, it still doesn't pick up Mt 5:39 and 6:13. I'm not getting it...

post-34440-0-01438500-1544458106_thumb.png

Edited by Donald Cobb

Two, thoughts. I cannot check them out right now though.

Both these cases are double tagged as masc and neut in both the article and the adjective. I don't know if that is throwing it off. If you have other cases like that that are being correctly selected then this isn't the issue.

I would try this query against another text. The sigla text has on occasion had issues where the sigla interfered with results. I would try the regular NA 28 Greek NT without sigla and see if it has the same behaviour.

Thx

D

Def. something wrong here. Reproducing the search in the normal search dialog doesn't seem to have the issue. Appears to be related to the construct search. Also tried NA27, Tyndale GNT. NA28 and NA28-Sigla

post-211-0-74670400-1544471879_thumb.png

Thanks gentlemen for  your help!

DC