NASB question

Tom Castle

I was reading on Rick Mansfields "This Lamp" website about the NASB. Doing some research on it, (as I'm possibly interested in moving from my KJV) I've come up with a question or two. I'll start with one.

Comparing Luke 4:8 in the KJV, GNTTR, and NAS95S. Why does the NASB omit the phrase, "Get thee behind me, Satan"? Is there another manuscript that removes it? I've compared various other modern translations and notice that it is missing in some of them as well. What manuscripts are used for this? Which Accordance Greek Text?

This is a question where the GNT-T and GNT-TR (Textus Receptus) are invaluable resources. You can see from these two modules that the TR (on which the KJV is based) includes the phrase, while the NA27 (GNT-T, on which, usually, the NASB is based) does not. The reason for that is most likely because the majority of texts include it, but the most ancient witnesses do not. The NA-27 Apparatus lists the variant with the corresponding manuscript evidence.

These kinds of questions are helpful because they show how different modules can be used. The compare texts feature also comes in handy for these kinds of questions.

Thanks Robb. That was my suspicion and as I don't have GNT-T, I was unable to confirm. Time to drop some more $$ at Oaktree.

If the KJV has been your point of reference but are thinking about switching to the NASB, you might also find a comparison to the ESV (www.esv.org) and the HCSB worthwhile.

Ingo

Another good Accordance resource to consult when it comes to textual issues is the NET notes:

tc Most MSS, especially the later ones (A Θ Ψ 0102

Yet another invaluable resource for studying these kinds of questions is also available to Accordance users. The module "Metzger Text Commentary" is Bruce Metzger's "A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament" (a companion to the UBS Greek NT). It provides explanations of alternate readings of the NT text, the source(s) of those readings and an explanation of the reasons that (at least some) scholars have for accepting or omitting the various readings.

True enough. But oddly, Metzger says nothing about Luke 4:8, unless I'm searching it wrong.

Lorinda

True enough. But oddly, Metzger says nothing about Luke 4:8, unless I'm searching it wrong.

Lorinda

Good catch! Actually, Metzger does comment verses 5-12 together but only notes the Old Latin and Vulgate as harmonizing with Matthew's account.

Here the NET notes actually give more detail (it's often the other way around).

Lesson: Remember to use all those great Accordance tools to get the whole picture!

Archived