CEB Tagged Text

ct253

Hello.

I would absolutely love to see a tagged text of the Common English Bible.

In my own denomination, United Methodist, we are basically entirely transitioning away from the NRSV to the CEB. And so I use the CEB as my primary text. I would love to be able to use many of the tools that come along with a tagged text (especially, e.g., instant details for the translation of words) with the CEB without having to open a parallel pane solely for this purpose. I would definitely be willing to pay for upgrading to a tagged text, and it would probably be the single thing in Accordance that I use the most. I think that there are a lot of people in mainline denominations that would probably have similar experiences.

Thanks for your consideration.

Colin

• Like 2

Colin,

I would love to see the same thing, however, from conversations had with the copyright holders, we understand this to not be a priority issue for them. Be assured that if the situation changes we will do what we can to license and release the text.

Do you know how I could be in contact with the copyright holders to voice my support for them prioritizing it? (Obviously, feel free to PM me if needed.)

To what degree would it be extra work for them (e.g., doing all the tagging) and to what degree would it be you guys at Accordance doing that work?

Edited by ct253

+1

The CEB is my primary English translation and I hate, hate, hate that we don't have a tagged version.

I don't understand you comments about the copywrite holder, though.

Adding tags to a text is all about the software company deciding it's worth doing, I would think. Accordance already has a license to distribute CEB.

As I understand it often times the tagging is done primarily by the text holder and then given to the company to do. This is the safest way to do it because when they chose and alternative reading to translated from it is very easy to accidentally tag something wrong. Getting it from the publisher means there are no accidents.

-dan

PS: Also some copyright holders may not want an external company tagging it and may prevent it from being sold so the company has to be involved. I do not think Accordance would do a bad job but a company doing a bad job could definitely be seen as a blemish on the translation. I do read the CEB once in a while but still like the NRSV better... but hope you guys can get a tagged text sooner than later I want the study Bible but no peep on it yet anywhere either.

Edited by Daniel Francis

The issue wasn't so much about the work needed to tag the text. It is a philosophical choice being made. I encourage you, if you find this to be a strong desire to contact the publisher (https://www.commonenglishbible.com/contact) and get all your friends and colleagues to do the same.

I know I've got the little Accordance lamp over on the side, but this is thread is just from a guy sitting on his couch who'd love to see this happen. I appreciate the CEB and would like to use it more as a research tool.

• Like 1