Collections book descriptions and Eerdmans Dictionary

Flavian

Hi community.

I got the awesome privilege that a full time minister gave me his acc 11 ultimate collection as a gift. I am very happy with it but at times I am struggling to find my way through the shear number of volumes in there. I once saw a youtube video that summarized the books into tinyer groups making it easier for me to understand the content.

Also I would like to be able to tell the theological background a little easier?

Are there any descriptions out there? Or do you have a good advise for me on how to 

a.) get an overview so that I can navigate the huge library better and

b.)  understand the author's standpoint before diving into the book.

I would especially like to know more about an authors hermeneutical presuppositions. Is he a Dispensatioanlist or is he a preterist? Is he a literarlist or a spiritualist for example...?

And in regards to the Eerdmans Dict I have one question: Is it historico-critical? I found it to be like that on various occasions.

Just take the snippet about the Messiah:

"Likewise central in the constellation of biblical “messianic” texts are Gen. 49:10; Num. 24:17; Isa. 11:1; Jer. 23:5-6; 33:14-17. Each of these passages speaks in a distinctive way about a royal figure. Later interpreters read such passages as oracles, deriving their meaning not from the historical or literary context of the verses but by relocating them in a new interpretive construct. Whatever Jeremiah or Isaiah or the authors of Genesis and Numbers thought, later readers of the Bible heard their words as predictions of “the” coming king — predictions they wove together with a variety of other biblical passages to form distinct visions of what God had in store for them."

Edited by Flavian

The EERDMANS DICTIONARY OF THE BIBLE is historico-critical as the description implies. But the 600+ contributors will have varied theological perspectives. It is probably the best one volume dictionary out there and I am very happy that it is the one Accordance has included in their starter packages.

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1