Moulton and Milligan?

Donald Cobb

Hi all,

I realize that Moulton-Milligan's Vocabulary of the Greek New Testament is dated and would preferably be replaced by something along the same lines that is 1) more recent and 2) more complete if that existed. However, since this doesn't seem to be the case, it remains very useful within its limitations.

Would there be any interest in making this into an Accordance resource? It came standard in BW and it can be purchased in another Bible software ($25, I believe), so it would be a great addition to Accordance. It's public domain, and there are probably even electronic versions out there somewhere, so it seems to me that, despite the somewhat limited market (it requires a fairly decent proficiency in Greek), it shouldn't be too much of an investment to add it to Greek language products.

Thanks for taking this into consideration!

Blessings throughout this Christmas season,

Don Cobb

• Like 4

I'd love to see it in Accordance as well, if for no other reason than the many times it is cited by BDAG.

• Like 1

1+

+1

It's been mentioned before. In desperation, I bought it in Logos. I do not like it. But I sold my paper edition and need the text. 

• 6 months later...

Bump  :rolleyes:

DC

• 2 years later...

Many thanks, first of all, for this week's release of BrillDAG (or however we want to call it). Fantastic addition! Realizing that there is no end to what can be dreamed up, I seem to remember someone at Accordance mentioning that Moulton and Milligan might be in the works for a future release. Is there any news on this? I have the print version (which, because it's a print version, I rarely consult), but I would love to have it alongside my other lexica in Accordance.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I would also love to see Moulton & Milligan.  I used it in BibleWorks 8 years ago and really appreciated it.  I miss it, and I refuse to buy the print version!

• Like 1

This is the most recent news on Moulton and Milligan:

Still hoping... Does anyone at Accordance have any news on this?

• Like 1

I also miss it from my BibleWorks days.

It would take a tremendous amount of work to clean up the files available online. Any volunteers? 🙂

Seriously though, if someone knows of a good source for M&M, please let us know!

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 12.56.58 PM.png

Edited by Mark Allison

It was available in BibleWorks in Windows Help file format. All w/ proper Greek and linked to any Bible verses.

Does Accordance have any connection w/ the former BibleWorks folks to try to get the license/permission?

image.thumb.png.f403a6314101a16001e9ac5357f58227.png

• Like 2

@mgvh is there any module info?. Normally BW has a tab for this. 

BTW. Is this still in ©? If no there are converter to convert from the Microsoft Help File to HTML.

Edited by Fabian

From BibleWorks title page...

image.png.f9cb0e5f86ffe62d2c280c52e2b550cd.png

I see now that it is not a Windows Help file. It's one of their databases that's made up of 7 different files.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mgvh said:

From BibleWorks title page...

image.png.f9cb0e5f86ffe62d2c280c52e2b550cd.png

I see now that it is not a Windows Help file. It's one of their databases that's made up of 7 different files.

The BibleWorks folks aren't really interested in licensing their resources, but it looks like BibleSoft might have it. Working on that now.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

The BibleWorks folks aren't really interested in licensing their resources, but it looks like BibleSoft might have it. Working on that now.

Does this mean that A. Loder's project is no longer under consideration? Not wanting to pry, but I found what he was wanting to do interesting and helpful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Donald Cobb said:

Does this mean that A. Loder's project is no longer under consideration? Not wanting to pry, but I found what he was wanting to do interesting and helpful.

I think we need to revisit this. I wasn't handling the contractual negotiations, but I believe there was some sort of impasse and don't really know the details.

• Like 2

Just now, Mark Allison said:

I think we need to revisit this. I wasn't handling the contractual negotiations, but I believe there was some sort of impasse and don't really know the details.

Ok. Thanks Mark. I don't know if it's still on the table, but my impression was that Loder's supplementary work could go a long way in making this tool much more useful and up-to-date. As it is know, I think it's probably worth the $15 or $25 that "that other company" charges. But if the supplementary stuff that Loder was looking to add, I would personally be willing to pay more.

• Like 1

BTW, I also see that his video was made in 2020, if I'm not mistaken, so as recently as 1 1/2 years ago, this project seemed to be moving ahead with enough momentum for Loder to announce it in video form. 

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

I guess they seek one which purchases the whole thing.

• 1 year later...

Any news on M&M for Accordance? Seems like this went a long time with no response...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gary Pauley said:

Any news on M&M for Accordance? Seems like this went a long time with no response...

I may be wrong, but I think the issue is that it's not available in a digital format. I'd love to see it though. 

It's on our list to look into, but I don't have an update on it yet.

Moving this to Module Requests.

• Like 1