"The Great Courses" biblical Hebrew

Alistair

I have many brilliant courses from the Great Courses (I think they used to be known as "The Teaching Company")

I just discovered they have on on biblical Hebrew, either video download or purchase DVD: see

https://www.thegreatcourses.co.uk/courses/biblical-hebrew-learning-a-sacred-language.html

Or www.thegreatcourses.com if that works better for you.

It is taught by Professor Michael Carasik, Ph.D. of the University of Pennsylvania.

Nothing beats a proper tutor but some might find it helpful…

There is also the video course by Zondervan that goes with the textbook already offered in Accordance. Good parallel tool they can consider?....

• 1 year later...

I was going to start a thread about The Great Courses and then found this one. I'm actually using this video course by Dr. Carasik right now and it's really good. As Roy Brown said in his recent Accordance webinar on learning Hebrew, teaching yourself at home is really hard, but I don't have the time to go to a class. I watch the videos on an iPad while running on a treadmill, getting dressed in the morning, wherever I have the time to squeeze it in. It's not as good as having a teacher that you can ask questions, but on the flip side you can re-watch the videos as often as needed. Pair this course with a grammar text and the digital BBH workbook in Accordance so you can redo the exercises as often as needed.

I considered Van Pelt's videos also, but the Great Courses have sales all the time, so it's not too hard to find Carasik's course for much cheaper. It's also really nice to hear Hebrew spoken more naturally (Carasik sounds sooooo different than the guys who do the Daily Dose of Hebrew). He takes a very different approach with the material, getting you into the text of the Bible from the very first lecture (more like the way you'd learn a language as a kid, just by hearing it), which means it complements a typical grammar like BBH really nicely. It's still not as effective as when I studied Greek in a classroom, but I tried Hebrew before on my own and failed miserably. This time it's working, thanks to Dr. Carasik. Highly recommended.

• Like 1