#177 Build a Better Bible Study Library

Timothy Jenney

Want to introduce a friend to Accordance? This is the podcast to use!

The first section lists and explains the basic tools used for serious Bible study, then explains that one of each is included with Accordance's Starter Collection. It also lists a few of the most popular add-ons. The second section lists the categories of texts and tools Accordance offers.  It also explains how to use the online store to build one's Accordance library over time.

https://www.accordancebible.com/Build-A-Bible-Study-Library

enjoy!

• Like 3

The url is broken. Remove the first http.

Thank you!

Really good reminder of what is needed for basic Bible study.  Also, a good reminder for those of us who are long time users that Accordance is a great value.  No one needs to have a mega budget to get what is needed to dig in.  I didn't get into any "serious money" until I got into original languages, and even there, electronic is less expensive (and more usable) than the print counterparts.  Thanks.

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 2

Boy, your work gets better and better. I pray that 2019 will be a banner year for you and the rest of the Accordance team. I will be sending a link to this podcast to our pastoral staff and a number of my friends. Thanks again.

Edited by Randy Cue
  • Like 1

Thank you both!

I am really passionate about Accordance—and there are so many people it could help. i think of our pastors, burdened with too many responsibilities and too little time, students, most of them working and trying to carry a full load of classes, even professors (who used to have cushy jobs), now picking up the many responsibilities not handled by adjuncts. Accordance would save them all a huge amount of time and money, simultaneously making their study time more productive.

Thanks for helping us spread the Word!

• Like 2

A long time ago I wrote a paper for students at Bible College about building a personal library (of real tree-based books!) for a life of fruitful ministry.

This was in the days before digital libraries were commonplace (are they commonplace now?)

While I would modify the list if I had to do it again, here it is for your amusement: I haven't included the lengthy part where I evaluate resources and make recommendations. 

1./ A good study Bible

2./ A good one-volume Bible dictionary
3./ A good one-volume Bible commentary
4./ A good one-volume OT survey [introduction? Handbook?]
5./ A good one-volume NT survey [introduction? Handbook?]
6./ A good one-volume systematic theology
7./ A good concordance
8./ A good Bible atlas
9./ A good English dictionary

Not essential but highly recommended:
i./ A good one-volume overview of church history
ii./ A good one-volume overview of church missions

Start to build a library of books on the following:
a./ Evangelism
b./ Church growth
c./ Counselling
d./ Apologetics
e./ Cults, the occult, and world religion
f./ Disciple-making
g./ Preaching
  • Like 1

I see our libraries have much in common, Alistair. The biggest difference is that you included OT and NT Intros. I put those in the second tier, as good Bible dictionaries will have articles on each book of the Bible. If I were to add a couple of more books, they'd be the [often-neglected] histories of OT times (Ancient Israel/ Ancient Near East) and NT (Hellenism/Greco-Roman Judea). 

As for the systematic theology, I have mixed feelings. I know that Reformed exegetes often interpret the Bible through the lens of their theology. For example, a Reformed sermon might be the Doctrine of Predestination as illustrated by [insert passage here]. Those with other theological systems do this as well, but it seems to be most prevalent in Reformed communities.

I'd prefer those new to Bible study let Scripture speak, first to the original audience (which had little interest in post-Reformation theology), then to them (the contemporary audience). Systematic theology, whatever system one subscribes to, tends to be an external grid superimposed on Scripture. As such, it often distorts a passage's content, recruiting it out of context to serve this or that doctrine, rather than letting it speak for itself.

Perhaps that's just my bias.

• Like 1

I see our libraries have much in common, Alistair. The biggest difference is that you included OT and NT Intros. I put those in the second tier, as good Bible dictionaries will have articles on each book of the Bible. If I were to add a couple of more books, they'd be the [often-neglected] histories of OT times (Ancient Israel/ Ancient Near East) and NT (Hellenism/Greco-Roman Judea). 

As for the systematic theology, I have mixed feelings. I know that Reformed exegetes often interpret the Bible through the lens of their theology. For example, a Reformed sermon might be the Doctrine of Predestination as illustrated by [insert passage here]. Those with other theological systems do this as well, but it seems to be most prevalent in Reformed communities.

I'd prefer those new to Bible study let Scripture speak, first to the original audience (which had little interest in post-Reformation theology), then to them (the contemporary audience). Systematic theology, whatever system one subscribes to, tends to be an external grid superimposed on Scripture. As such, it often distorts a passage's content, recruiting it out of context to serve this or that doctrine, rather than letting it speak for itself.

Perhaps that's just my bias.

I think it's a good idea (even though I'm Reformed :) ) for everyone to let Scripture speak. Scripture should interpret and form doctrine, not the other way around. I'm grateful that there are still some Ph.D.s that feel the way you do about Scripture.

• Like 1