search across different modules

vfhirschi

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to make a search for a word or an expression across several modules? For example, is it possible to look at all the occurrence of a word in LXX, NA28, Josephus, Philo, apocryphal Gospels, etc., and get the result in a single window?

That would be super useful and save lots of time!

Thanks

Vincent

You should be able to create a group with those texts in it and then use a Greek Research query on the group

Thx

D

Thanks Daniel, that works in parts.

The issue that is left is that it forces me to perform the search in the overall research field and so limit my options. If possible, I would like to be able to add parallels to the different texts (e.g. see the MT and Tg as parallel to the LXX, or have a translation on the side).

Is there a way to do this?

Hmmmmm.... I would have to experiment to be sure but I'm not at a computer I can try this on.

What I would start with is something like an LXX tab as the basic tab. Then open other tabs and use the LINK command in a word search linking them to the LXX tab. These tabs would be one for each of the other Greek resources. This should cause them to execute the same search as the LXX tab. The in each tab open whatever parallel panes you want. So in the LXX tab open HMT, BHS, Targums (I assume that's what Tg means) etc. The will parallel by verse. (Note, I am not familiar with the Targums and don't know how that module would behave here.)

Now with that setup you should be able to do your search in the LXX tab for the Greek word and see it executed in each tab and the parallel panes should update also. At least that's what I would hope. As I said I haven't tried it yet.

Thx

D

The problem is that the general search tool (at the top right corner) does not function the same way as a search from a regular tab (it is not possible to add context with the "Context Slider," to view analytics, etc.).

If, on the other hand, I start with a specific tab (e.g. NA28 or LXX), I have not found a way to do a search across different modules, like performing a search in the whole group...

... but thanks for your suggestions anyway :)

OK, sorry... I see what you mean now.

I guess I just have to save a new workspace with a tab open for all the Greek text I want to perform a search on.

Thanks

Yes, I would construct a workspace for this type of study.

Thx
D

Is there a way to make a search for a word or an expression across several modules? For example, is it possible to look at all the occurrence of a word in LXX, NA28, Josephus, Philo, apocryphal Gospels, etc., and get the result in a single window?

That would be super useful and save lots of time!

Vincent, if I'm understanding what you are trying to do, then this (attached) would be my approach, which uses both the Research Tab and Text Browser features.

I agree with Daniel that having Workspaces is good, and so you should make some of those.  However, you will be limited to the number of versions that you can view in any given Workspace, and so the Text Browser will ultimately be better.  Or, a combination of Workspaces and the Text Browser.

Accordance did a wonderful job allowing you to open a Text Browser window from many places, including the Research Tab as you will see in this screenshot of mine.  You'll notice that I created a Group called "Multiversion Analyzer," and it has both original language texts and English translations--both for biblical and extra-biblical texts.  It's sort of the "cover all" group.

As of now, this process requires the fewest "clicks" to get where you want to go.  But of course, you can't technically view a biblical text and a non-biblical text in "Parallel," since they have totally different versification and content.

Thus, as I said before, starting your search in the Research Tab, and then amplifying to either a Workspace, or again, better yet, the Text Browser, is probably the best way for now.

post-35231-0-00911000-1547160206_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

Thanks TYA, that looks like a good option as well... I actually never used the text browser before, so, thanks for the tip.