Connect More Resources to the Text

sfarson

I would be using/accessing (and buying) more Accordance resources if they were more connected to the text I'm studying.

For example, if I'm studying a passage in Leviticus 16 or John 14 or any passage, not only is it nice to see Commentaries/Study Bibles/Cross Refs scrolling/connected to the text, but how nice it would be to see linked content like devotionals, atlas's, sermons, illustrations, etc. connected in the same way. This would include having the Info Pane (which is outstanding btw) including these kinds of categories. Everything is dynamically connected to the text. Much is connected (thank-you!), but perhaps more could be.

• Like 1

I find that the MY TOOLSET feature of the Info Pane allows me to define resources that I often consult that are not part of the predefined Info Pane tools. It will perform the kind of action you are seeking. You just manually add the tools you wish to reference using the gear/control icon of the MY TOOLSET section of the Info Pane.

—Joseph

• Like 2

Try exploring the Info Pane's Topics section a bit more, too. Clicking a topic will open your default Bible dictionary to that article. There are also links to Accordance's Atlas and Timeline.

I also support Joseph's suggestion. Add a several of your favorite resources to My Tools. Remember, Accordance will only show them if they are relevant to the target passage, which generally means they have that Scripture reference in a paragraph.

• Like 1

Try exploring the Info Pane's Topics section a bit more, too. Clicking a topic will open your default Bible dictionary to that article. There are also links to Accordance's Atlas and Timeline.

Dr. J's comment about the Topics in Info Pane reminded me of one of my favorite activities with these: right click and Research Topic. There is much to discover in your resources using Research. The more you spend time with research, the more I am sure you will come to depend upon it.

Happy Researching,

Joseph

• Like 1

Hey, Joseph!

I was going to mention Live Click and Research myself, as they both offer lots more resources than the Info Pane. you beat me to it!

• Like 1

Hey, Joseph!

I was going to mention Live Click and Research myself, as they both offer lots more resources than the Info Pane. you beat me to it!

Not so, Dr. J. ;)  I was thinking about the Info Pane Topics section and right clicking on a word/Topic there to do research. You are thinking of different and more generic ways of of searching lexicons and researching any word. 

This aspect of using the Research function in a variety of ways to find useful material, I feel, is a great strength of Accordance. I really don't want to find every possible instance of a word in every possible resource I have—to me, that is akin to trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose. I appreciate the very controlled, but flexible way Accordance functions may be assembled and interconnected. As I have stated before, the logic of Accordance strongly resembles the logic of UNIX: functions and tools that may be combined in a variety of ways to build a system to address a wide variety of tasks. OK, I confess that I have as much enjoyment learning about the way Accordance works as I do using it to study the Bible and related topics.

Now, back to exploring Research and ways to use it,

Joseph

• Like 2

Thanks! You know, I had used the Toolset before, but I think I connected a few resources that didn't have many verses to connect with. So I've given it another try, noting the "1000 Illustrations That Connect" had many verses, and, well, how about that, it shows often in the Info Pane toolset. Thanks for reminding me of this.

• Like 2