Simplified Chinese Bible Not Entirely Simplified

Martin Z

I've seen many many characters in the Simplified Chinese Bible that are actually still traditional Chinese.

But in the Traditional Chinese Bible, I saw some simplified characters.

For instance, in Dan 8:1, the nubmer 3 in simplified version, it should be 三, and the traditional should be 参. But They are just exchanged. (I've included a use-created version for comparision).

post-32138-0-87371300-1548086135_thumb.png

In Dan 8:5, the character 隻 is traditional Chinese. The simplifed character is 只。

post-32138-0-62199800-1548086162_thumb.png

As you can imagine, this will create a big problem in searchings.

There are many programs that can convert the entire text into either simplfied or traditinoal Chinese.

Edited by martinacc

Which translation are you referring to? Each of our Bibles comes in both scripts.

I too have noticed not a few traditional characters in the simplified module.

The CUNP-SIMP is ok I think.

It's the CUVS-SIMP (Chinese Union with Strong's Numbers) that has the major problems. For whatever reason, not only are traditional characters mixed in occasionally, but sometimes the wrong characters are present. Just looking at the first few verses of 1 Sam 1, we find:

v. 1 (Tohu): 託户 instead of 托户 (traditional for simplified)

v. 2 (Peninnah): 毘尼拿 instead of 毗尼拿 (the tian 田 radical for first character is on top instead of the side, as in the CUV print edition, and this wrong character is repeated again in v. 2 and then in v. 4)

But even worse:

v. 6 (her): astoundingly Peninnah provokes HIM (他 him instead of 她 her) and makes HIM (again 他 him instead of 她 her) angry. Does she provoke Elkanah her husband? Of course not, and the CUV print edition and CUNP-SIMP have the correct feminine pronoun 她 her.

v. 7 (her...she): Again, Hannah is twice referred to as a him (他 him instead of 她 her).

v. 8 (her): HIS husband Elkanah said to HIM. Again, same problem, and the problem is so absurd that no Chinese people in their right mind would continue using this module in 1 Samuel.

I still use the module, though, because being able to have the Chinese text keyed with Strong's numbers is worth it for me. But I dare not cut and paste anything out of the CUVS-SIMP module to use in PPTs or handouts for lack of confidence that even a single sentence is correct, much less entire passages.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out there are more problems with this CUVS-SIMP text.

in Exod 2:5, it reads, "法老的女儿来到河边洗澡,的使女们在河边行走。看见箱子在芦荻中,就打发一个婢女拿来。"

The word in read color, "", is a masculine "he." It refers to Pharoah's daughter, thus it should be a feminie "she", "".

post-32138-0-91287200-1550150590_thumb.png

Just noticed that Jonathan also pointed out the same problem in 1 Sam 1. So I guess this is not an isolated problem...

Edited by martinacc