Add any Image file to a Stack? Or best alternative?

TYA

Great day all,

I take a lot of screenshots while researching.  What is the single best way in Accordance to build a repository of text (whether Bible, commentary, dictionary, lexicon, etc.), but ALSO to be able to take screenshots (.jpg file) and include that?

I want this to be *fast*, like a person hurriedly throwing things into a pile for later reference, organization, analysis, etc.  I've just started playing around with stacks, and I understand that I can add *existing* images to them, but many times, my screenshots will speak a thousand words, and I'm just wondering if Accordance can quickly import them, so I can combine them with the "native" items within Accordance.

Thank you

TYA, I'm able to simply paste any text *or* any image into a stack.  So, why not just copy the screenshot and paste it into the Accordance Stack tab?  You can then even annotate it like any other stack item.

So, why not just copy the screenshot and paste it into the Accordance Stack tab?

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not able to copy and paste a screenshot into a stack.  While I can't fully illustrate how I *can't* accomplish this, see this screenshot (attached) which shows what I'm trying to do.  I'm not given the option to paste my own screenshot into the stack.

post-35231-0-88438700-1548398227_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

Morning!

I have had this same issue (only difference being I am on a Mac). A work around I found was to open the screenshot in Preview and then copy and paste it. I wonder if you were to open the image in a viewing app first if it would then allow you to paste it. I have not been a PC for years so I am not sure what app might work, but wanted to offer the suggestion.

Tim is correct, when I say copy, I mean to copy the image itself, not a file reference of it in Windows Explorer or the Finder.  Does it work if you copy it from an image viewer?

By the way, on the Mac, it is possible to have screenshots go straight to the clipboard, ready to paste into a Stack.  I'm not sure, but this may also be an option on Windows.

Joel,

How do you do that on a Mac? I can't seem to get it to work.

I mean to copy the image itself, not a file reference of it in Windows Explorer or the Finder.  Does it work if you copy it from an image viewer?

No, it doesn't.  Not if I'm properly understanding you.  Here I have the image opened in Windows Photo Viewer (my default image viewer), and while I have an option from within to "Copy," the stack itself in Accordance never gives me any option to "Paste."  Nor can I drag and drop the image.

I also use a custom clipboard program, and I'm trying to paste the image from that as well, but the stack simply doesn't give me any option to "Paste."  Let me know if I'm missing something, or if possible, have someone on Windows assist.  I'd really like to be able to get .jpg images into the stack.

Thank you both.

post-35231-0-61429500-1548443804_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

the stack simply doesn't give me any option to "Paste."

Can you use "Control-V" to paste? I use the equivalent command on the Mac and it works great.

Can you use "Control-V" to paste?

No.  Nothing will get the file there.  However, by way of contrast, I *was* able to get simple MS Notepad text to copy and paste.  This (attached) will show you that I know what I'm doing, and that I'm, for some reason, not given the option to attach an image file, or even a MS Word document.

post-35231-0-69452800-1548445415_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

I just checked; if I copy a screenshot that I've pasted into Paint, I can Control-V the image directly into a Stack in Accordance running on Windows 10.

Edited by Mark Allison

Thanks Mark.  You take the prize :)  However, this is obviously a "workaround" scenario.  I wonder if it must always require this effort?

post-35231-0-00250000-1548449704_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

Toma,

The only way to paste a picture is to a new stack item.  So you should not try to paste into an existing stack item.  Just be at the end of your list in the desired stack, and select Edit->Paste from the menu.  That should create for you a new stack item with the picture.

If that does not work, could you create a new stack and try again?  I seem to remember that there were some problems with your user files in the past, maybe this stack is one of these files.

Actually, Control-V will create a new stack item automatically. 

The only way to paste a picture is to a new stack item.  So you should not try to paste into an existing stack item.

Thanks, Orly.  But I've only been trying to create a new stack item this whole time--not trying to add to an existing one.

Also, I've never tried making a stack before a couple days ago.  So this isn't an old file that could have become corrupted. This whole "stacks" thing is a new endeavor for me.

Actually, Control-V will create a new stack item automatically. 

Exactly, which I'm familiar with.  But back to the initial problem, this wasn't happening for image files--only for text.  But Mark's workaround now allows me to accomplish this with an image from Microsoft Paint.

Thanks both :)

Edited by TYA

Hey Toma,

What tool are you using to create the screenshot ?

I use the Snipping Tool. With that I just create the screenshot and it appears in the Snipping Tool window. I then hit the copy to clipboard button and then I can directly ctrl-V that into my stack in Accordance.

I am not saving it as a separate file, which appears to be the problem here.

Of course it would be a nice enhancement some time to be able to drag and image file to the stack and have a new item created from it.

Thx

D

Hi, D., I use a program called "Screenhunter."  Same concept, but it places the screenshot on the desktop.  At present, I would just have to manually open the image in Paint, which isn't hard (but again, just an extra step I wish wasn't there).  Thanks as always.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for this discussion. I was trying to paste in a photo file from my own travels & couldn't get it to work. What finally worked was to open the photo in Photos (Windows 10), copy it there (either right-click > Copy or Cntrl-c works), then click in the empty area at the bottom of the stack and paste (Cntrl-v).

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Great day all.  I want to renew / remind regarding my request here.  Mark Allison had to provide me a workaround to get my own screenshot into a stack (Thanks Mark!), but as I noted above (see copy below), this is less than ideal.

Mark Allison: "I just checked; if I copy a screenshot that I've pasted into Paint, I can Control-V the image directly into a Stack in Accordance running on Windows 10."

TYA: At present, I would just have to manually open the image in Paint, which isn't hard (but again, just an extra step I wish wasn't there).  Thanks as always.

Edited by TYA