Question regarding "Within" search in Research Tab

TYA

Great day friends,

Can somebody tell me why "tent" isn't highlighting in the topmost of these "Within" searches in the Research Tab?

Also, in the second screenshot, why "Jerusalem" is needed as a hit for my search.

Thank you.

post-35231-0-89717400-1549761130_thumb.jpg

post-35231-0-31157400-1549761193_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

I think at that point "tent" and "Jerusalem" are more than 40 words apart". Increase the second WITHIN to 45 and it highlights.

Thx

D

I think at that point "tent" and "Jerusalem" are more than 40 words apart"

But why then did that Eerdman's hit appear in the results (albeit, without "tent" being highlighted)?  Is the top search (in which I use two "within's") treating the search as an "OR" search, in which only one of the terms has to be within 40 words of the other, but not both?  In other words, did it return the result because "city of David" and "Jerusalem" were within 40 words of each other, even though "tent" and "Jerusalem" weren't close to each other?

Same thing in this newest screenshot, in which I use two "withins."  The phrase "City of David" isn't highlighted when I search within 60 words, but if I increase it to 90 words, it does become highlighted.  The question is, why is this particular hit appearing without "city of David" being highlighted within 60 words?  Is it because the other terms are close enough to each other?

Ultimately, what I want is to search within ALL search terms within a limited distance.  What is the best way to do that?

Helen generously shared with me that word1 <WITHIN 50 Words> (word2 <OR> word3) works for "OR" search, but would substituting "AND" work for finding instances in which all three terms must be present?

post-35231-0-96907800-1549776728_thumb.jpg

I must confess I was not entirely satisfied with my answer either, as I thought more on it and tested some things. I initially felt that the WITHINs and the words were so structured in your first search that my modification was valid. But I tried other variants like the one posted now and got similarly odd results - missing highlights though the hit was found.

There are a number of posts about issues with multiple WITHIN and FOLLOWED BY elements in a single search. In general they concern searches in texts not tools - I don't know if they affect tool searches too but perhaps they do. The general solution there is to use a construct search. This is of course not possible for tools. Instead, I tried a simple "city of david" <AND> "tent" <AND> "Jerusalem" and that worked fine. And for a search like this it's likely the simplest way to do it. I am not sure what the exact scope is in which the three words have to be found but it will be something like the article, perhaps a paragraph. A WITHIN so large doesn't seem hugely helpful to me. But, this of course just works around what appears to be broken highlighting. The hit itself seems to be being found.

Someone who knows the code will have to answer I'm afraid.

In the end, not much help on this one, I'm afraid.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Instead, I tried a simple "city of david" <AND> "tent" <AND> "Jerusalem" and that worked fine. And for a search like this it's likely the simplest way to do it.

This is very helpful indeed.  You are always helpful, D.  Even if the most ideal answer isn't available, so to speak, you always get me moving in the right direction :)

I am not sure what the exact scope is in which the three words have to be found but it will be something like the article, perhaps a paragraph.

My great desire is that combination searching will soon be available in the Research Tab, so that I could have limited the "scope" to the verse 2 Chronicles 1:4.  This investigation, just FYI, was to find any mention of the "City of David" specifically in 2 Chronicles 1:4, where David is said to have pitched a tent for the ark "in Jerusalem."

I wanted to see who / what sources would clarify that this specifically meant the city of David within the greater definition of "Jerusalem."  In other programs, I'm able to cross-search a Scripture verse with English words, so I can search the phrase "city of David" specifically tied to 2 Chronicles 1:4.  That's what I'd ideally like to do in Accordance too.

In the meantime, I'm doing the best that is available, which is to use a "baseline search" of words that actually appear in the verse--in this case, "tent" and "Jerusalem" (which commentaries, etc. are likely to mention), and then I add the sought-out phrase, "city of David" using a "within" search.

Accordance has such a magnificent library, that (hopefully) having the additional search functionality in the Research Tab would launch us to even more magnificent heights in biblical study and research.  I imagine you understand what I'm saying here.  Thanks, D.!

Edited by TYA