Tell Us Your "Accordance 25" Story!

R. Mansfield

2019 marks the 25th anniversary for Accordance Bible Software. Way back in 1994, the very first version of Accordance was released to the world. We’re taking the whole year to celebrate, and we’d like you to join us!

Whether you started using Accordance 25 years ago, 25 days ago, or somewhere in between, we’d like to hear your “Accordance 25 Story.” When did you first discover Accordance, and why did you begin using it? How has it made a difference in your work, study, faith?

We can’t promise to use everyone’s submission, but if we use yours on our blog, newsletter, or in social media, we’ll give you a $25 credit on your next order!

Send your story and—if you have them—any photos from training seminars or other Accordance events to Accordance25@accordancebible.com. We’re looking for around 3 to 5 paragraphs that would be suitable for a blog post.

We’re so glad we’re a part of your story. 25 years have gone by really quickly. We can’t wait to see what’s in store for Accordance in the next 25 years!

acCordance%20disks.JPG?dl=1

• Like 1

Hah! I remember buying Accordance twenty-five years ago. I bought the program from Roy, probably at SBL, then had to go around the corner to buy the GNT from GrammCord in a different booth. I almost backed out, as the arrangement seemed a bit fishy at the time. Roy reassured me it was just the way they had to work for files on the Mac, so I went ahead and bought. I never looked back!

You thought it looked fishy then? Can you imagine if you had to download Accordance from our site and then go over to the Gramcord site for your modules now?

• Like 2

You thought it looked fishy then? Can you imagine if you had to download Accordance from our site and then go over to the Gramcord site for your modules now?

Hey, they've got software for Palm and Pocket PC! They're keeping up with the times!

• Like 1

Hey, they've got software for Palm and Pocket PC! They're keeping up with the times!

• Like 1

I had a Mac (Accordance). I had a Palm (Olive Tree). I remember being so irritated I had to buy resources twice.

I am SO glad Accordance now has a mobile version. It has saved me many denarii!

• Like 2

Hah! I remember buying Accordance twenty-five years ago. I bought the program from Roy . . . then had to go around the corner to buy the GNT from GrammCord in a different booth.

I was at Trinity in the 80s when Carson and Miller were developing GRAMCORD, and I purchased it after I got my first Amstrad 8086 computer with DOS 3.0 in 1988. I used GRAMCORD until 2013 when I bought a new W8 laptop and it wouldn't install on it. I had heard that Accordance had licensed GRAMCORD's data, and that, along with the addition of Dr. Holmstedt's syntax database, all in a very friendly GUI (as compared to in G and L), greatly influenced my decision to buy Acc when the Windows version came out. Very happy I did.

• Like 3

Tim, I'd estimate your having to purchase Accordance in two separate booths at SBL probably happened in 1998. From 1994 to 1997 GRAMCORD handled all the sales and we basically took up about half of the GRAMCORD booth. By 1998 we began handling some sales in a separate booth in an effort to make clear that Accordance was its own entity and not merely "GRAMCORD for Mac" (a term we never used).

I believe a year or two later OliveTree also chose to have their own booth rather than remaining under the GRAMCORD umbrella, for much the same reason.

Edited by David Lang

Hmm..., maybe it was the same booth, I as know I bought Accordance 1 in 1994. They had an end booth. Helen and Roy were working the end, GramCord was more in the middle, in the main aisle.

Interesting. 1994 SBL was before I joined the staff, so maybe that arrangement was different than what I knew in 1995 and after.

"Pssst. Hey buddy. Come ovah here to dis side o' the booth, now. I gots somethin to shows ya."

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 3

You kid, Joe, but sometimes it did feel a little like that!

I was at the Christian Bookseller's Association Convention, and Greg Ward was demoing the Atlas on a Mac. It wasn't an Accordance booth—he was sharing the corner of someone else's booth space. This was around 2001, and it was the only Apple computer on the show flow, so I was immediately drawn to it. When I saw the Atlas, I was blown away. There's still nothing like it, but in 2001, it was unbelievable. 

• Like 4

Yes! We Mac users were really outsiders for so many years. I wonder just how many Biblical scholars Accordance convinced to move to Mac?

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 2

Yes! We Mac users were really outsiders for so many years. I wonder just how many Biblical scholars Accordance convinced to move to Mac?

For me, Accordance was the tipping point for moving to the Mac. I was using BW at the time (1998), and if I was going to make the switch, I had to have good Bible software. When I discovered Accordance and read about its features, I went all in :-)

• Like 2

It was niche enough of a market, that I started a blog to support the outlying Mac-using bible scholars.

• Like 3

I updated the original post above to specify 3 to 5 paragraphs if you’re emailing your story to Accordance25@accordancebible.com. We want to use these stories in blog posts primarily and social media secondarily. We’ve had really good response already (thank you!) and will be posting them all year long.

It looks like all the Accordance staff are trying to get their hands on those $25 credits!  :)

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

[Chuckle] I'm guessing none of us will get the $25, but you can tell many of us have used Accordance for a long time. We work here because we love the software.

• Like 3

I just want a copy of that Accordance 1.0 floppy disk :-)

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, that program disk would have set you back something like $150. I believe the initial price for Accordance was around $150 for the application, and $200 for the GRAMCORD Greek NT and a couple of English Bibles. Compare that with what you can get today with our $399 Triple Learner Collection.

• Like 4

It looks like all the Accordance staff are trying to get their hands on those $25 credits!  :)

Well, Accordance staff has been invited to tell their stories, too, but they don't get the $25 credit! And all stories need to be emailed to Accordance25@accordancebible.com --as a reminder :-)

• Like 2

[Chuckle] I'm guessing none of us will get the $25, but you can tell many of us have used Accordance for a long time. We work here because we love the software.

Agreed. I like to remind everyone that I'm a user first :-)