Atlas How To

William Cross

Where can I find the steps to help me set up the Atlas to display Jonah's fleeing and redirection to Nineveh? I only want to see the locations that are mentioned in the book and would like them to be large enough to take a screen shot and make a slide to help folks quickly get their bearings with the general locations of the account.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by William Cross

William, I'm really surprised that we didn't do a Route Layer for Jonah. I suspect it's because we don't have Tarshish on the map, since its location is much-debated. Given that oversight on our part, you'll have to find all the locations related to Jonah on the map. Thankfully, that's not hard, since only Nineveh, Tarshish and Joppa are mentioned in the book. I would, however, add two locations from outside the book of Jonah. Jonah's hometown of Gath-hepher (see 2 Kings 14:25), and Samaria, the capital of the northern kingdom where Jonah likely ministered. Find those 4 sites on the map (remember, we don't have Tarshish), then choose Convert to Custom Layer at the bottom of the Sites pop-up menu of the Atlas. A dialog will open which includes those four sites in a new Custom site layer. Just give it a name like "Jonah Sites" and click OKAY. If you want, you can crank the scale up or choose an attention-getting font or color to make those sites more obvious.

If you want to go beyond just showing the sites, you could create your own User Layer and draw lines to represent Jonah's journey from Gath-hepher to Samaria to Joppa, then out to sea (maybe add a text label with an arrow pointing west to Tarshish). Then create a new line leading from the Mediterranean coast to Nineveh:

post-6-0-32630500-1550603257_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Lang
  • Like 3

Now it would be good if we can share and merge from others. Same for the Timeline and the Range.

Greetings

Fabian

By the way, for interesting background info on Jonah, check the PhotoMuseum 2 entry on Assur-Dan III. The events of that Assyrian king's reign really help to explain why the Assyrians were so quick to repent in Jonah's day.

Edited by David Lang

Very Helpful! Thank you.

How can I get the layer with my arrows and lines to arrange behind the site locations?

It obstructs the names from being read as it is.

Edited by William Cross

I tried placing the layers on the map in different orders, but it appears that the User Layer always lays on top of the Site Layer. You can either route your lines to avoid covering the labels, or you could make the line translucent, so that you see the text beneath it.

By the way, for interesting background info on Jonah, check the PhotoMuseum 2 entry on Assur-Dan III. The events of that Assyrian king's reign really help to explain why the Assyrians were so quick to repent in Jonah's day.

I just added this to my User Note on Jonah 3:1, complete with Location URL hyperlink--and attribution to you, of course!

And you could also add Nebi Yunis for a possible place Jonah returned to land  :D.

https://blog.bibleplaces.com/2013/08/where-in-world-jonahs-lz.html

https://blog.bibleplaces.com/2013/08/answer-nabi-younis.html

For the ship's journey to Tarshish, you might draw the arrow hugging the Mediterranean coast, rather than shooting straight out to the middle of the sea. Also, there is good evidence Tarshish was in modern Spain. See map 63 and text on pp. 162-165 in

Beitzel, Barry J.
2009 The New Moody Atlas of the Bible. Chicago: Moody.

For more technical discussion, check out

Beitzel, Barry J.
2010 “Was There a Joint Nautical Venture on the Mediterranean Sea by Tyrian Phoenicians and Early Israelites?” Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 360: 37-66.

A.D.

• Like 1

I always like it when you post a link to the article you refer. Just one more powerful use of Accordance. https://accordance.bible/link/read/PhotoMuseum_2#1740

• Like 2