Question regarding upgrading to the full version.

Jesse Dornfeld

I was going to make this thread trying to ask a single question, but then it dawned on me that most of my threads end up looking nothing like what they started as.

So this will be just a catch-all for my related questions regarding upgrading to the full version.

Anyways, my first question is what is the difference between the BDB Abridged (Entry) and the BDB Abridged (Hebrew Content)?

The Entry is an index on the head words in the dictionary. When you search there you only find entries where the head word matches your search string.

The Hebrew Content by contrast indexes all the Hebrew content in the articles. Thus you can find words that match your search, appearing in the body of the articles.

Thx

D

• Like 1

The Entry is an index on the head words in the dictionary. When you search there you only find entries where the head word matches your search string.

The Hebrew Content by contrast indexes all the Hebrew content in the articles. Thus you can find words that match your search, appearing in the body of the articles.

Thx

D

OK, thanks.

I still don't fully understand though. IDK what an article is for example.

What I have been doing is playing around with the live click function where you click on a word and you get a bunch of information regarding that word. So let's take the word "Created," for example. When I view my pane of all the place I have available where that word shows up, one of the things that come up is BDB Abridged (Entry) and if I scroll down just a bit I get to BDB Abridged (Hebrew Content). With this particular instance, what I am seeing is that both the BDB Abridged (Entry) and BDB Abridged (Hebrew Content) give the same information, it's just that the (Hebrew Content) starts just past the definition of the word (I think).

Perhaps it is different for different words?

Here are 2 screenies of what I am talking about where both open by default:

post-35509-0-29779000-1551076970_thumb.png

post-35509-0-83216400-1551076981_thumb.png

I will try and send you a personal message with the two. However, there are some differences in the formatting which is why i keep both. Helen summed up the differences very nicely is a thread a few years ago.

• Like 1

Taking ברא as the example here is the BDB Abridged article:

I. בָּרָא vb. shape, create —
Qal shape, fashion, create, always of divine activity, with acc. rei.
1. obj. heaven and earth; mankind; the host of heaven; heavens; ends of the earth; north and south; wind.
2. the individual man; the smith and the waster; Israel as a nation; the seed of Israel.
3. new conditions and circumstances: righteousness and salvation; darkess and evil; fruit of the lips; a new thing חֲדָשָׁה (a woman encompassing a man); cloud and flame over Zion.
4. of tranformations: a clean heart; new heaven and earth (in place of old); transformation of nature; with double acc. בורא ירושׁלם גילה transform Jerusalem into rejoicing.
Niph. Pass. 1. be created: heaven and earth; creatures; mankind; heavens.
2. with reference to birth: במקום אשׁר נבראת in the place where thou wast created (i.e. native land).
3. of something new, astonishing: miracles; new things, חדשׁות.
Pi. 1. cut down: a forest.
2. cut out: יָד hand, as an index.

When you do a search for Entry for ברא you find just the headword which I've highlighted in RED above. The whole thing is the article. The Hebrew Content indexes the Hebrew words found within the article which are not the headword.

Thx

D

• Like 1

To use an English example, searching a Dictionary for David, would give these results:

1) A result in 'Entry' would be an article on David.

2) A result in 'English Content' would possibly include the article on David, or other articles, such as Bathsheba, Saul, Jerusalem, the Psalms, etc.  Any article that uses the word David.

• Like 1

To use an English example, searching a Dictionary for David, would give these results:

1) A result in 'Entry' would be an article on David.

2) A result in 'English Content' would possibly include the article on David, or other articles, such as Bathsheba, Saul, Jerusalem, the Psalms, etc.  Any article that uses the word David.

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Couple more questions...

IDK how to add things to a "Group" and I am not entirely sure what it is, but it looks to be something I could get value out of based on the context of where I saw it used in Preferences. Info on this would be appreciated.

Similarly, IDK what "My Toolset" is so info on that would be good as well. I can see it in the "Info Pane."

Thirdly, IDK the difference between the two different Greek Texts I own. One is called "GNT Textus Receptus with Strong's" and the other is called "NA28 Greek NT." I assume these are both Greek Bible texts but don't know their differences or why I would use one over the other.

Thanks,

Jesse D

Edited by Jesse D

Those are good questions!

To find more info about groups, check this out:

https://www.accordancebible.com/resources/multimedia/details/?id=80066

To find out more about the Toolset, see the Help Documentation at:

Getting Started with Accordance > Working with Panes > The Info Pane

To put it very simply, the Textus Receptus is the Greek Text that the KJV is based on. The NA28 is the newer collection of Greek texts that most of the newer English translations are based on.

• Like 1

Adding on to Mark's post, the NA28 Greek NT (AKA NA28-T) has one other extremely important difference with your "GNT Textus Receptus with Strong's" (aka GNT-TRS).

The NA28-T is "grammatically tagged" - that is, each greek word has full lexical, morphological, and gloss information.  To use an english example, if you moused over the word "λεγοντες" it would say "λέγοντες legontes  λέγω  Verb pres act part masc plur nom  to say, speak, tell (Predicate)".   You may not get the "Predicate" part, but the rest should all be available.  It can also use this information to connect to a Strong's tagged text, such as the ESVS, reporting that it's word is "saying".

A grammatically tagged text is extremely important for those wishing that information, as it enables a whole host of studies using this information.

On the other hand, your GNT-TRS is tagged with "key-numbers", specifically Strong's numbers.  For the same word, it has this information: "λέγοντες  G3004  λέγω  legō  to say, speak, tell ".  There is still the lexical form lego and the gloss, but instead of having all of the grammatical information, it just has a key number.  This connects it to other key number texts effectively, but you can't do the same type of grammatical searches.

Now, of course, if you aren't interested in the grammatical searches, then the only effective differences are the ones Mark mentioned above.

• Like 2

I want to take time now to say I was able to upgrade from the Hebrew Starter to the Greek and Hebrew Lerner at no additional cost due to a gift given to me worth $99.90 towards my next collection purchase. As an added bonus, because I was upgrading from the Hebrew Starter and because of the 25% off discount, I actually ended up with a surplus of about $12 toward credit of my next purchase. I am very thankful to God for how he has provided for me. What's more, is I thought I was on a payment plan, but was not, so the ~$109 that I spent for the purchase of the Hebrew Starter + Systematic Theology by Grudem. This is totally fine considering there was a blessing in that too. There were 2 occasions within the last 2 days where I was able to get an extra $10 cash. One for doing a good deed, which I originally didn't want money for, but they insisted several times, and another where I was able to do some work for someone and wasn't expecting to get any money for it and I ended up getting money anyways. God is good.

Those are good questions!

To find more info about groups, check this out:

https://www.accordancebible.com/resources/multimedia/details/?id=80066

To find out more about the Toolset, see the Help Documentation at:

Getting Started with Accordance > Working with Panes > The Info Pane

To put it very simply, the Textus Receptus is the Greek Text that the KJV is based on. The NA28 is the newer collection of Greek texts that most of the newer English translations are based on.

Thanks! I've made 2 Groups so far: One for Dictionary type things and one for Resource type things. I still have to look up all that I have gotten from the Greek and Hebrew Learner to know I have everything I need in those two groups. I do have a question regarding My Groups though. How do I search for everything in that group with a word or Key Number or verse ect.? I've figured out how to actually open all those groups at the same time, but how do I search for something in everything in those groups at the same time? I understand I can create some parameters with this, but don't know how to do that. Also still trying to figure out the ins and outs of live click, but I'll get there when I get there.

I still have to thoroughly go through the "Getting Started" info.

Thanks for the info on the Greek Bibles.

Adding on to Mark's post, the NA28 Greek NT (AKA NA28-T) has one other extremely important difference with your "GNT Textus Receptus with Strong's" (aka GNT-TRS).

The NA28-T is "grammatically tagged" - that is, each greek word has full lexical, morphological, and gloss information.  To use an english example, if you moused over the word "λεγοντες" it would say "λέγοντες legontes  λέγω  Verb pres act part masc plur nom  to say, speak, tell (Predicate)".   You may not get the "Predicate" part, but the rest should all be available.  It can also use this information to connect to a Strong's tagged text, such as the ESVS, reporting that it's word is "saying".

A grammatically tagged text is extremely important for those wishing that information, as it enables a whole host of studies using this information.

On the other hand, your GNT-TRS is tagged with "key-numbers", specifically Strong's numbers.  For the same word, it has this information: "λέγοντες  G3004  λέγω  legō  to say, speak, tell ".  There is still the lexical form lego and the gloss, but instead of having all of the grammatical information, it just has a key number.  This connects it to other key number texts effectively, but you can't do the same type of grammatical searches.

Now, of course, if you aren't interested in the grammatical searches, then the only effective differences are the ones Mark mentioned above.

Thank you very much for explaining that. IDK which I should start with. I know nothing of Greek or Hebrew at this point. I have a little experience since getting Accordance with Key Numbers, but the grammar is not really known to me at all. Where would you recommend starting and how?

To search everything in a group (and other multi-resource type searches), you want to use the Research tab.  You can use it directly in the little search-box in the top right corner, or open it from one of the New menus.  Once open, set the top-left most popup (defaults to [All Text]) to your Group name, which should appear on the list.

You can also just select any word or verse reference, right-click it, and choose Research -> {your group name}.

Regarding NA28-T vs GNT-TRS, it really is a personal preference.  Statistically, more people use the NA28-T over the GNT-TRS, but it depends on your theological and scholarship decisions.  Generally, if you are just getting started with Greek, it won't matter too much which one you use.  Just decide based on the information you are looking for: Do you want grammatical tags, like gender, number, case, etc.?  Go NA28-T.  Do you want to directly link to an English word?  Go GNT-TRS.  Unsure?  Make a group and search both :)

I can't personally recommend the best set of teaching resources for learning Biblical Greek or Hebrew - but I'm sure there are plenty on the forum that can.  I can say that I've heard great things about Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (Accordance Link, Store Link) and the First Hebrew Primer (Accordance Link, Store Link) as resources for getting started, if you have the time/energy/devotion to work through great textbooks on your own.

• Like 1

I know nothing of Greek or Hebrew at this point. I have a little experience since getting Accordance with Key Numbers, but the grammar is not really known to me at all. Where would you recommend starting and how?

I can't personally recommend the best set of teaching resources for learning Biblical Greek or Hebrew - but I'm sure there are plenty on the forum that can.

Hi Jesse,

There are a lot of different opinions if you search the Forums, for example:

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/18510-opinions-on-biblical-hebrew-instruction-resources/?hl=%2Blearning+%2Bhebrew

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/19801-hebrew-grammar/?hl=%2Blearning+%2Bhebrew

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/21676-learning-hebrew-and-greek/?hl=%2Blearning+%2Bhebrew

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24070-learning-biblical-hebrew-interactively-paul-overland/?hl=%2Blearning+%2Bhebrew

You will find even more if you search for the texts mentioned in these posts.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Hi, Michel, Thanks so much for this post.

I came across a rather interesting bit of information when checking out the links, namely, that these languages are best learned when there is a certain "interaction" going on. As a Spanish student in high school who didn't put hardly any time into learning how to speak the language when we did real-life exercises, I can definitely say that not doing the interactions had an impact on me not retaining much info from the Spanish language. So, naturally, I see value in an interactive way to learn a language.

Are there free resources regarding interactive ways to learn a language like Greek and Hebrew? Possibly on Accordance itself?

I've become interested in the "Parallels" that come with my purchase. The problem is IDK how to make a valid search since I am unfamiliar with the terms "Title Number, Title, and References." If someone could explain how these headers for search work, I would really appreciate it. Or you can just point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jesse D

To search everything in a group (and other multi-resource type searches), you want to use the Research tab.  You can use it directly in the little search-box in the top right corner, or open it from one of the New menus.  Once open, set the top-left most popup (defaults to [All Text]) to your Group name, which should appear on the list.

You can also just select any word or verse reference, right-click it, and choose Research -> {your group name}.

Regarding NA28-T vs GNT-TRS, it really is a personal preference.  Statistically, more people use the NA28-T over the GNT-TRS, but it depends on your theological and scholarship decisions.  Generally, if you are just getting started with Greek, it won't matter too much which one you use.  Just decide based on the information you are looking for: Do you want grammatical tags, like gender, number, case, etc.?  Go NA28-T.  Do you want to directly link to an English word?  Go GNT-TRS.  Unsure?  Make a group and search both :)

I can't personally recommend the best set of teaching resources for learning Biblical Greek or Hebrew - but I'm sure there are plenty on the forum that can.  I can say that I've heard great things about Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (Accordance Link, Store Link) and the First Hebrew Primer (Accordance Link, Store Link) as resources for getting started, if you have the time/energy/devotion to work through great textbooks on your own.

Hi and thanks for this Joel.

I do have a follow-up question regarding this matter here. It appears that when I search for a term from a Group that the search doesn't function as it used to. Instead, it gives a pane with a single tab where everything is housed. I am looking to do a search for a term or verse (ect.) where it opens up a bunch of tabs simultaneously so that I can read all of them at my leisure after I save that search and the content within it as a workspace. The question here is whether I want to actually read all the material I have available or not. With the new system, it's convenient in that I can pick and choose which resources I want to look at... But if I want to actually look at all of them, then my workspace is going to look pretty cluttered. Is there a work around here?

Thanks,

Jesse D

Edited by Jesse D

Possibly on Accordance itself?

This is something I would be willing to pay for.

Hi and thanks for this Joel.

I do have a follow-up question regarding this matter here. It appears that when I search for a term from a Group that the search doesn't function as it used to. Instead, it gives a pane with a single tab where everything is housed. I am looking to do a search for a term or verse (ect.) where it opens up a bunch of tabs simultaneously so that I can read all of them at my leisure after I save that search and the content within it as a workspace. The question here is whether I want to actually read all the material I have available or not. With the new system, it's convenient in that I can pick and choose which resources I want to look at... But if I want to actually look at all of them, then my workspace is going to look pretty cluttered. Is there a work around here?

Thanks,

Jesse D

Basically, I'm wondering if I can bypass the first pane where it gives all the info in one place to pick and choose from and looking instead for an option to open all the tools I have in a particular Group into different tabs. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thanks,

Jesse D

Are there free resources regarding interactive ways to learn a language like Greek and Hebrew? Possibly on Accordance itself?

Hi, I don’t know of any, others might.

There are some reading groups about the place. Do searches for 'Greek reading group' or something like that. I am not currently in one as I cannot find a good time. I don't know of a free online interactive study group but it's a good idea. There is pay for (and it can be substantial) interactive online tuition available though.

thx

D

• Like 1

Hi, I don’t know of any, others might.

Thanks.

Also, I am wondering about a way to search.

Usually what I have to do because I don't know the Key Numbers or Lexeme's by heart for what I am searching for I have to search for a word in the bible and then right click that word and search "Key Number." This is totally fine if I am looking for one word to look up, but if I am looking to do a big "<AND>" string search with many terms with an adequate Scope and Range I don't have memorized as Key Numbers or Lexeme's it gets cumbersome (not to say I could do it even remotely easier without Accordance). When I am trying to do a string of Key Number Searches with <AND> in between, I have to search for the word in the bible, then triple-click that word and copy the Key number and paste it in a new Tab and then repeat this process for all my terms. Additionally, I am wondering if it's possible to use the same Tab for a search of a word and then search for that Key Number and have that search open in an additional Tab every time I do this rather than it defaulting to searching for that term in the same Tab every time.

So I guess I am just trying to figure out what the best way to search for a string of terms with "<AND>" would be given I don't have those terms memorized. I think there should probably be more than one way to tie my shoes here, but looking for different ways of doing it so I can settle on doing it one of those ways.

Thanks,

Jesse D

Look at screenie.

What I am finding is that when I use a Scope of Paragraph that it doesn't give me the whole paragraph but only where the key terms are. Is there a way to change this?

post-35509-0-24780600-1551217589_thumb.png

Drag the context slider (circled) to "A" for "All". The scope of the search is set to paragraphs, but the context slider is set to only show the verses with the hits. 

post-35509-0-24780600-1551217589.png?raw

So is there not a way to do a search for Key Number searching in a different Tab every time?

Also wondering if there is a quick way to see a corresponding word translated from Hebrew to Greek.

Thanks,

Jesse D

Question regarding "getting organized."

I run a YouTube channel where I talk about the Bible and some other types of various other things about me, about psychology, about morality, about philosophy and whathaveyou.

Now, as my channel gets more and more Bible-centered, I am looking to have Accordance be the main principle in how I do my YouTube videos. I've already made a couple videos working strictly out of looking at Accordance while filming.

On to my question...

I need a way to show notes and whatever so that I can just read off my PC Screen on bullet points and whatever and I'd like to use Accordance here since I know Accordance is capable for such things. So I am looking to see maybe how others do this. I understand some pastors here use Accordance to do their sermons off of. I'm looking to do much of the same. So the question is how can I use the Accordance application to read off of various things from my screen to hit all my points?

Thanks,

Jesse D