Kindle_Digital Books

pdstewart

Is there currently a way to add PDF, Kindle, other digital books to accordance?  I have tons of PDF/Kindle books, but always forget about them because they aren't in my accordance resource library - where I am doing my study.

If there is not (though potentially difficult!!) I think that would make Accordance a huge step above Logos! :)

Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

Currently, no. Only html and plain text can be imported.

Mark,  Thanks for the info. 

Has this ever been discussed as a future potential? 

I am sure it isn't necessarily a software development issue as much as it is a legal and rights thing (Kindle probably doesn't like their stuff being used on other software, etc.)

It's been frequently requested, and we're not ignoring the requests. Can't tell you much more than that :-)

But it's not just digital rights. PDFs are a real pain to convert. 

• Like 2

Awesome - Thank you for the response!  I am sure you hear this request frequently.  I get tons of free/low priced Kindle books (even PDFs) constantly - but I have no real way to catalogue them and use them up while I am actually in study.  I have to specifically remember the resource and then open it on the right device that I have the kindle/pdf uploaded to, i.e. I never use them.  Even if there was a way in the future to catalog them on Accordance and create a link to them would be helpful. 

• Like 1

There is a way but it is a pain using Calibre.

1. Launch Calibre and choose ADD BOOKS (you will have to locate your Kindle folder)

2. The biggest challenge is locating the name of the book from its cryptic title that ends with the .azw

3. Choose CONVERT and choose the format htmlz or alternatively you could choose doc and then convert from Word's save as feature.

4. The panel at the right will show the path for the newly converted book. 

5. You can then import the book as a User Tool. 

• Like 1

I thought about mentioning Calibre, opened it on my computer for the first time in a couple of years, closed it, and said nothing :-)

But yes, this is definitely a method that one can use. 

Where Mark responded above with, "Currently, no. Only html and plain text can be imported, I would suggest the key word there is currently.

I will say no more.

• Like 8

I will say no more.

I just love the teasers! 

• Like 4

Well ... this gets me really excited!!!!  :rolleyes:  :D  B)  :ph34r:

As far as reading Kindle books in Accordance, I use Kindle Cloud Reader in the integrated Web browser. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of integration with Accordance. For example, I can't select a word in the Kindle book and amplify to Accordance resources.

• Like 1

The current version of the Kindle Mac App has broken the ability for Calibre to work. If you have it working I'd love to know how because almost no one can make this work right now. There is a paid option called Epubor but it's not free and requires that you download an old version of the Kindle app.

The current version of the Kindle Mac App has broken the ability for Calibre to work. If you have it working I'd love to know how because almost no one can make this work right now. There is a paid option called Epubor but it's not free and requires that you download an old version of the Kindle app.

Thanks Kevin for the info. An excellent explanation is found at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283371

I have downgraded to 1.17.1. UPDATE: The attempt at downgrading did not work. I hope a future workaround develops. 

I have converted a number of my Kindle purchases to Accordance in the past. 

Edited by Tony Lawrence
  • Like 1

Hi, Have you tried accessing the kindle ebook from Amazon website itself for download?

In Amazon, under your accounts, there is a Content and Device link. I download my ebooks from there onto my desktop PC manually for conversion. It's been some time since i last converted. But that was how I converted my ebooks.

The fact I don't buy Kindle AT ALL and have a grand total of five books from their storefront AND a Paperwhite for otherwise previously sourced books and Logos titles I keep to add from my existing purchases manually is one thing, but I'd encourage EVERYONE to stop buying Loss Leader Kindle Titles and this really regardless of publisher and original price. If You are smart enough You are deciphering every Word of what I'm saying here.

Also, since ePub is superior, I'd say my publisher is glad they will get my manuscript 6 Years and 1½ Months from now - they are a universal kind of publisher with manual labour title-by-title niché marketing. I paid nothing for Amazon add-on campaign - I get a simple listing but no Amazon promotion (de selected upon contract writing), I chose not to take a Loss Leader Promotion for my forthcoming book - anyhow I would have risked an after-purchase markup if I would have taken, for payroll fullfilment of theirs.

Also whatever import feature You might implement I'm not voting with MY use or MY Accordance app download FOR it unless it's for Android, I'm just downgrading to 11.2.5 desktop version as we speak - this due to battery concerns ONLY. I did use versions 12.2.x and 12.3.1 for a Year. I would have gladly used the Accordance built-ibrowser, is what I'
m missing. Right now tomorrow I'm busy entering all the text-selections - what comes up as first, 2nd and 3rd texts, those are the best improvement 11.0 came with an I'm grateful. Did set it up previously but those settings it doesn't matter that I don't remember which was my previous 11.2.5 installation which was physically demolished on Nov. 11. 2018 at half past one local daytime due to overly multasking.

Take Your time for implementation. You might be right that leading the technical competition is profitable. There are a megaton of requests and You should be choosing multiple front-end technological leading avenues to pursue at the same time.
'm glad Accordance users are excited over DOT SOMETHING updates, I'm reporting there isn't any generalist user commotion over at the competitor forums over incremental improvements they get, now nor in the past, they have just too much to market so everything is simmering up in their deliberately diluted created thin air.

In short: IF You have something undisclosed in the backoffice projects good luck and if You get it out the door to lead the competition I'm happy on the behalf of others, for their enjoyment, but I'm using precision and ALL the available effective voting to get my priorities across - for the most part as efficiently as just voting for a post - and if I haven't voted for a post or comment it is far more likely that I'm simply against it though having noticed (not noted) the request than anything else. Which is why I seldom by input de-prioritise something. Others may need lots of the requested features that I don't, which I am silently aware of and that's fine.
Just hope Accordance would charge su
bstantially for content-adding new features!!

Speaking of which, go to see and react on a completely different request (that I'm sure would be not at all too late to start on as late as only a good while from now)https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24197-for-a-really-major-ver-release-which-i-welcome-next-year-intra-testamental-sourcing-of-the-ot-incl-deuterocanonicals-of-parallels-of-theologies/?do=findComment&comment=118841
… it is am
biguously spelled out - You have to be like me: Good at synthesising to harvest the idea and be able to make up Your mind quickly as to liking it. As in "great addition" You must get the gist which is on which You, only, need to react

• 2 weeks later...

Update: There are plugins that now allow Calibre to once again read Kindle books. See this site: https://www.epubor.com/how-to-convert-kindle-kfx-to-epubpdfmobi-with-calibre.html

That’s really good to know. I have a few titles I’d like to convert to User Tools.