Typing Hebrew letter sin with Israeli keyboard

Charles Grebe

I'm using Accordance 11.2.3 with Windows 7.

In the Accordance Preferences/Greek & Hebrew, I have "Use Israeli keyboard layout for Hebrew" selected.

My question is, in the "Select Lexical Forms" "Go to" box, how do I enter the Hebrew letter sin with the sin dot? I know how to enter shin with the shin dot (Caps Lock-A) but I can't figure out how to enter sin with the sin dot.

Note that I have read the archives on this topic but I still can’t get it working. Any help?

Thanks,

Charles

Hi Charles,

This was discussed at length in a thread late last year (https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24979-searching-for-%D7%A9%D7%91%D7%95%D7%A2-is-not-working/?hl=%20shin%20%20and%20%20sin%20%20dot), and earlier in other threads. For Ezra SIL keyboard it was fixed in December. I don't use the modern Israeli keyboard and I don't think I tested it. But those fixes were in version 12. However, if you look in that thread there is a post commenting on the use of the Accordance keystrokes which were working at the time https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24979-searching-for-%D7%A9%D7%91%D7%95%D7%A2-is-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=123557. You could try those out in 11 and see how it goes.

Thx

D

I tried

SIN is AltGr (the right-hand Alt) +'a'

but it doesn't work with the Israeli keyboard in version 11. However, I didn't realize version 12 was out. I'll have to get it. Hopefully it works there.

thanks,

Charles

OK, I just bought the upgrade to Accordance 12.3.2 (windows). I installed it and it crashes giving an "Access violation" msg in the crash log.

So I uninstalled Accordance 11, restarted the computer, and installed Acc 12 again. Again an Access violation crash. 

Do I need to clean the registry or something to get a clean uninstall before installing Acc 12? At the moment I have nothing working. It would be great to get Accordance back! :)

Charles

Hi Charles,

I don't know what that is about. You could post the crash log here so the developers could look at it.

I would perhaps try starting Accordance in safe mode and remove the startup session.

If you want to try that hold the ALT key while Accordance is starting. You'll be presented with a page of check boxes for stuff to delete or disable. Click Remove startup session and then hit the Launch Accordance button

Thx

D

Ok, using Alt on startup and removing the startup session when launching helped. I did it a couple of time and now I can launch Accordance properly. Many thanks for that! The About Accordance in Help now confirms that I'm running 12.3.2.

However, I still can't get the sin dot working. The right-hand alt + a gives me nothing in the "Go to" box of "Select Lexical Forms." I have the Israeli keyboard set in Accordance prefs under Greek & Hebrew. My windows keyboard is set to English, which I believe is correct. Am I missing something else here?

thx,

Charles

What keyboard mapping are you using ? I actually switch my OS keyboard mapping to Ezra SIL before typing. It's physically a US English keyboard but I switch the mapping in software. Then I am able to type.

Thx

D

I believe we are supposed to leave the Windows keyboard mapping to English and let Accordance to the mapping. In any case, I have both the modern Israeli mapping labelled simply Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew SIL. I think Ezra SIL is a font. I've tried all three: English, Hebrew with modern Hebrew mapping, and Hebrew with the SIL mapping. The only one that gives me a sin with the sin dot is SIL and it's when I type the "f" key. All of this is when I have the Israeli keyboard selected in Accordance prefs. I don't know how to type with the SIL mapping, though. What I'm trying to figure out is how to get a sin dot when I'm typing with the Israeli keyboard.

You can use the keyboard set to English and then use Accordance's own mapping but that is neither SIL nor modern Israeli (as far as I know). And to do that you turn the Israeli keyboard preference off - at least I believe that's what you do - I've not tried using that mapping much.

Ok, so you've got to the configuration I usually use. I use the SIL mapping and sin with sin dot is f so that's fine.

There were questions about the Israeli mapping in the other thread. I would have to install that and check it out to see if it's working. There are other people on the forum who use it who may be able to comment.

Thx

D

I tried Hebrew (Standard) keyboard on Win 10 and I cannot get a sin or shin with a dot in LibreOffice. I don't know if this is a compliant SI-1452 implementation but it should be given Microsoft's involvement with the standard. Is the keystroke you use for sin with a dot CAPS-SHIFT-9 ?

Thx

D

When I type Hebrew outside of Accordance (e.g. Microsoft Word, Notepad, in a browser like this etc), I first type the shin/sin without a dot, e.g. ש which is the "a" key. Then you hit Caps Lock and then Shift + one of the top row keys to get the nikkud or dagesh or shin or sin dot. So it's a 2 step process, e.g. שׁ and שׂ. It takes a bit to get used to initially but it's flexible and works well. 

Ok....silly me. I was using what Win 10 calls Hebrew (Standard). I thought this might mean SI-1452 standards compliant - wrong - or at least probably wrong. I just enabled the Hebrew unadorned with any epithet. That provides the keystrokes as you describe. And it works in LibreOffice.

Now for Accordance.....

And yay ! I can type a sin and add a sin dot in the search box and the quick entry list looks good.

And it works in the Select Lexical Forms box too ....

Can't say I like the layout though - but them I'm used to SIL.

Finally, it works with or without the preference set in Accordance.

I don't know if that's because there is an issue between Win10 and Win 7 or because I'm on a beta release and probably slightly ahead of you. I thought that fix I referred to was already in production code.

Thx

D